Support your local. (Garage)

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

MicknChris
1.6 8v

Support your local. (Garage)

Post by MicknChris »

I had a small problem with the 406 'family truckster' the EM light came on, eventually I gave in and booked it in with my local mechanic (non Pug). Car was picked up at 09:00 Saturday, at 09:30 it was back in my drive, fixed! I walked back to mechanic to pay the bill. "No charge just give us a drink mate." I have used this garage for about 20 years, many different cars, some Pugs, some not, and would trust and recommend them. I suppose not all garages are rip off merchants. "Well done lads."
sirwiggum
3.0 24v

Re: Support your local. (Garage)

Post by sirwiggum »

Always nice to find a good mechanic.

Mine was in my local garage today for an engine mount. Will pick up first thing in the morning to see if it has helped low speed driving any.
1999 Honda Accord Coupe 2.0 Vtec Automatic
Previously 2002 406 HDi 90 Rapier Monaco Blue
Welly wrote:something to do with rubber/splits/bursts/flat/floppy etc
omega
3.0 24v

Post by omega »

MicknChris wrote:I had a small problem with the 406 'family truckster' the EM light came on, eventually I gave in and booked it in with my local mechanic (non Pug). Car was picked up at 09:00 Saturday, at 09:30 it was back in my drive, fixed! I walked back to mechanic to pay the bill. "No charge just give us a drink mate." I have used this garage for about 20 years, many different cars, some Pugs, some not, and would trust and recommend them. I suppose not all garages are rip off merchants. "Well done lads."
i would have thought they where worth a name drop and a location.....because if they not far il drop mine in to see if they can fix my electrics at that price :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:
Gary406
The moderator with a 1.9TD!

Post by Gary406 »

my local garage are good, but they wont do out for free. even tho i have spent a sh*t load there in the past...

also there all arogant fuckers . always have sum sarcastic answer when you ask out :lol:

but there good at what they do. its a well known garage down a back street with a very good reputation ....
2004 (04) Volkswagen Bora 1.9 TDi (100)
Bailes1992

Post by Bailes1992 »

Where ever I go I never seem to be able to get a decent garage or a decent job.

The first one I used would impress Arthur Daley.
It was quite a nice unit. I did work experience there, thought they were OK.

So first thing my car goes in for is the engine mounts.
On my way to Swindon every time I let go of the Accelerator the car snaps out of 5th and pulls to one side. The engine mounts had come undone!

Then I went back in for a few issues. It had:-
1. New driveshaft.
2. New Droplinks
3. Llower Arm outer Bush.

Once again about 100miles away from home I had a phonecall to say the driveshaft he fitted was the wrong one. :blink:
Then 2 weeks later the new bush he fitted went again. And 2 more times after that! He just kept replacing it.

So I decided to try another garage.
They found two issues with my rear end! :rolleyes:
The bush the garage changed 3 times was the wrong one and also that there was play in most the other bushes too!
They also fixed the rusty sills. Which are now rusting again.

I don't trust any garages, most of them don't even know what their talking about.
I took my Focus to two garages to diagnose a steering shake. This was after I had both my front wheels balenced and checked out for flat spots and even swapped the wheels around to make sure it didn't make a difference. They kept telling me it was wheel balencing. One garage said it was outer tie rod wear... low and behold it's inner track rod wear.

I give up! I won't support any of them!
The dealers may charge more but atleast they do the job tidy!
But then again, lesson I've learned is to just do it yourself!
2020 BMW 520d MSport Touring My Daily
2017 Dacia Logan MCV 1.5DCi Laureate Wifes
1996 Land Rover Defender 90 County SW 300TDi My Toy
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220 3.0 V6 My Other Toy
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

my mechanic is about the most reasonably priced mechanic around, i left the car one day to get the handbrake tightened, he actually put it up on the ramp there and then, took the back wheels off, then tightened the handbrake, gave me the keys and said there you go young lad, try not to put her sideways too much. I says how much will this cost, and he said dont worry about it. He even put a wheel bearing in my mums clio for £40 and that included the price of the part.