thinkin of buying

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

turbolag
Officer of the law!

Post by turbolag »

Basic stuff, really. Check all electric toys, tyres, brakes, suspenders etc. Check for history (double important on a diesel) and cambelts at the correct intervals. I don't think there are any major vices on a DT, so all the usual checks should see you right.

CHECK IT AIN'T BEEN USED AS A TAXI!

Good luck - hope it turns out to be a good 'un.
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

turbolag wrote:CHECK IT AIN'T BEEN USED AS A TAXI!
Mine was a taxi, high milage. Bought it some 10 months ago and done an extra 30k since then with no unexpected issues

Only thing wrong is the screwholes on the dash where the CB lived and a lump sticking up on the roof which I presume is the base from a cb aerial. Apart from that and the dog hair on the ceiling it's fine and was well maintained too.

Seriously I'm going to send this car to its death where it'd likely still stay alive as a taxi. Sometimes I rag it hard for extended periods, I ain't changed the oil yet (keep getting put off by the inaccessibility of the oil filter), can't afford a belt change, etc
turbolag
Officer of the law!

Post by turbolag »

Oh aye, I was a bit harsh - if it isn't a total knacker, and if the price is right, a taxi could do you well. My 405 GRDt was an ex cab and I ran it up to 303,000 miles with no major expenses beyond tyres and servicing.

If you buy a DT then disconnect or blabnk off the EGR, as it can cause localised hot spots in the head which can lead to cracking.