and today i have mostly been...

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Re: and today i have mostly been...

Post by Doggy »

.....enjoying* a 13-hour round trip to Newcastle.
8 hours of stupidly busy spray filled motorways, with a change of scenery courtesy of finding a way round the closed-by-flooding A1M near Catterick
I dived off a few junctions before this and headed east, hoping to intersect the A19, which I managed via Tadcaster and the ring road round York, so we arrived an hour late. :roll:

Around lunchtime, I noticed the distinctive nose of one of these heading for the highway....
Later, as we trundled down the A19 to Teeside, guess what was now blocking the A1M south round J62?.....

.......a broken down tank transporter and resulting oil spill.

Guess I got that detour right too. :shock:

Nice to be home and once more blessing the mighty 406 for taking most of the strain out of a long hard day. 8)
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
trem1
3.0 24v

Post by trem1 »

Yep we had a fun day up here yesterday,there were lots more incidents apart from those two !!

Sent from my K013 using Tapatalk

2004 Iron Grey 407se 136bhp......Written Off
2006 Moonstone blue 407 se 136 bhp.....Written off
2006 silver 407 SW..........replacement
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

steve_earwig wrote:Nah, I'll keep it and see if I can fix it at some point. It's not like I found these things, my dad had and used them for years, so I'm reluctant to just throw them away. I won't know what's wrong with it until I pull it apart but I can get a (pattern) piston for it off the bay for 15 quid, which would be good enough providing the barrel isn't too chewed (or I could go completely mad http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CYLINDER-PIST ... 336c1a822d ).
Well, the weather's pretty crap so I thought I'd have a go at this. Very quickly I discovered why it lacked power:
Yeah, the rings are worn out my arse. Not being familiar with Tillotson carbs I'm not sure what this pipe does but it's probably the fuel pump. So, very little fuel, crankcase lacks compression, no power at all. I managed to free off the machine too, it seemed to have plenty of compression (shock) but it felt like it was full of gravel. Pull the barrel off and very quickly I can see bits of swarf hanging about. The barrel and piston look fine, just a few scratches from the swarf probably, the rings look fine too.

Looking at the big end through the hole in the crankcase I can see bits and pieces hanging out of it and it seems to be missing half a thrust washer, so the big end bearing, which is a roller cage, has disintegrated.

What's the betting the idiot has held it at full throttle while he tries to dial in the carb and it's overheated the big end? And remember folks, this is supposed to have been an expert wot dun this.

Sadly the conrod, big end and crank are all one big expensive bit, about 180 quid from Stihl. I noticed they're cheaper from the US but then the crooks at the customs house get another chance to ream me. Then I found http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Crankshaft-As ... 5d45069234 which is a pattern part but I've been reading about and they seem ok. Coming from Greece, which is inside the EU last time I looked, means HR customs and the greedy thieving spedition wankers can go f*ck themselves (bad experience which I might tell you about if I ever get over how angry it made me). They also do the bearings, seals and gaskets. Cool. I could probably rebuild this for less than a ton.

The question is should I do this? Sensible says I don't need two of these, hell I probably wouldn't even be able to use one for very long 'cos they're damn heavy, plus they aren't actually worth much in Croatia because they're massive and there's newer and cheaper stuff with lots of safety features, of which these have, er, none.

TBH part of me is thinking that if I can resurrect this one then I haven't been quite so badly shafted for once. And I'll never have to tell my dad what I let some moron do to his chainsaw...
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

But but what if you replace those mechanicals and find something else is feckered like the carb or the sparky turny roundy timey thing?

Other than a bit of satisfying spannering are you going to get value/use from your spends?
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Sparked fine before, carb is probably fine but I'd rebuild it anyway. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STIHL-041-045 ... 1e6d0d60aa
Welly wrote: Other than a bit of satisfying spannering are you going to get value/use from your spends?
That's what I'm wondering. Satisfaction, obviously, value? It'll turn it from a pile of bits into something that actually works. Use? Probably not as I'll have 4 chainsaws, of which this would be the heaviest and most dangerous...

Welly

Post by Welly »

steve_earwig wrote:this would be the heaviest and most dangerous...
I think I'd leave it if it was me, I mean apart from it'll be nice to see it working you'll be spending £100.00 + on something you'll never use...

That money will feed the Animals for a month or more :)
Cars in my care:
Welly

Post by Welly »

....well tomorrow I will be jet-washing 60 square metres of block paving at Welly Towers. Nothing unusual about that except I HAZ HIRED a pez-powered jet wash and special multi-head whizzy-roundy squirty brushy 'unit' for the actual work.

See I had a company quote me for cleaning the drive using this 'ere equipment and they wanted 200 sheets so I thought screw that I'll do it myself.

By "hired" I mean book it out to the company as a "pair of steps" :supafrisk:

WCPGW etc...
Cars in my care:
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

That's criminal, people like you etc.

I think the roofage on my garages is about that, or maybe double because it's corrugated :?: I did that with the whizzy attachment on the boggo tizzy Karcher. I dunno if you're actually using some sort of brush attachment, this thing's just like a normal lance but something in the end of it spins round making a kind of farting noise.

Hours of fun*.

They have a diesel-powered Karcher down at the vet's :twisted:

Meanwhile...

It's in bits. And what a bastard of a job too. I had a real fight with the clutch (l/h fred, threadlocked, the whole lot spins so you need a special tool. Or an angle grinder key in my case), the flywheel was a bastard (taper, recessed nut, needs special tool, or a pipe fitting, a steel rod, a screwdriver and a hammer). With those off I undid all the screws and assumed it would come apart with some gentle persuasion. Not a hope. After spending 3 hours resisting the urge to get a screwdriver in there, turning it around and around looking for a hidden screw or something, I found the bearings were what was holding it. Big hammer time again!

Bits and pieces:
Interesting colour, don't you think?

I'm still undecided on what I'm going to do with it. I didn't see anything else that looked bad, even the seals are still supple and the chain drive cog sprocket thing looks brand new.

On a more fluffy, less greasy note:

Oi! You're old enough to be her dad('s dad's dad's dad's dad's dad's dad's dad's dad's dad's dad)

steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Welly

Post by Welly »

The Machine, look at the state of the block pavers, all joints full of moss:

The Head unit, the spray bar has a centre bearing and the nozzles are angled so they naturally whiz round but also they kinda spray-n-lift dirt:

The anti annoy your neighbours Dam, this worked well in catching all the crud by letting it settle and clean* water ran off in a kinda weir effect:

The collected crud, all this lot would have gone down the hill:

Clean, the area was 10m x 6m and was 'done' in about 2hrs but the resultant clean up added another few to that, I was quoted £200.00 for the job but did it myself at a fraction, if only I could say that about cars...:

The Patio, with two coats of sealer on it, as seen yesterday:
Cars in my care:
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Oh, nicely done! 2 hours is pretty swift, sadly it'd be useless on the corrugated roof :(

Shouldn't you sweep sharp sand into the gaps now?

Meanwhile...

"Did you do the washing-up?"
Yes dearrrrrrrrrrr...

Welly

Post by Welly »

The joints will get swept with Kiln Dried sand, then I've been offered some spray shiz that will definitely* stop* future moss/weeds.

Have you ever fancied a parts washer? I bet you'd find all kinds of use for one.
Cars in my care:
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

I'd love a parts washer, sadly once again I'm in the wrong country, so my choice is either pay a fortune for worthless junk or make my own. Guess which option I'm considering...

GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

steve_earwig wrote:I'd love a parts washer
Me too, but I'll have to settle for doing them myself with soap and a wet flannel... :cheesy:
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Nyuk nyuk :lol: