and today i have mostly been...

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Re: and today i have mostly been...

Post by highlander »

steve_earwig wrote:And what did it get me? Feck all.
This is because BT are arseholes to their staff. For such a large organization, they're so cliquey it's unbelievable - VERY much a case of "it's not what you know, it's who you know that counts". Long-standing employees are often kept in the job they're doing and have no real chance of moving up unless they're someone's pet. You definitely deserve better treatment than that; you're a clever bloke.

And sense and intelligence don't always go hand-in-hand. I remember hearing a tale about Einstein - apparently he once phoned up his employers and asked them for his home address, because he couldn't remember where he lived.

Re. smoking - have you tried e-cigs?
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Yes, I was puffing away for a while but when I had a cold last Christmas I thought to myself that on the efags it wouldn't go straight to my chest like they usually do. I took one puff and pretty much threw up and I haven't been able to go near one since.

I thought BT used the Peter principle. I've no idea what the point of that test was, if they were looking for geniuses then they failed to use the ones they found. Just another pointless exercise I guess, there were a lot of them.

I can never remember my mobile phone number. Nor any other numbers I use these days for that matter. Phone number of my office when I started at BT in 1984? 888 0894. Mobile? I think there's an 8 in it.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Now that reminds me of when I went to a redeployment meeting up that London and some genius? had decided this
would be a good label for redeployees. However, some wag* piped up from the back "that means "recycle your rubbish"! They're labelling us rubbish!" It was quickly dropped.

*that may have been me...

OllieNZ
2.0 Turbo

Post by OllieNZ »

steve_earwig wrote:Now that reminds me of when I went to a redeployment meeting up that London and some genius? had decided this
would be a good label for redeployees. However, some wag* piped up from the back "that means "recycle your rubbish"! They're labelling us rubbish!" It was quickly dropped.

*that may have been me...
Lol, good call that man :)
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Today I'm going for my speed awareness* course, thought I'd gen up on some highway code basics like road signage and speed limits.....Verdict: I know f*ck all :?
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

A bit late to the party, I guess you must have done it now so how'd it go? Were you made aware of any other controlled substances or was it just the wizz?

trem1
3.0 24v

Post by trem1 »

Welly wrote:Today I'm going for my speed awareness* course, thought I'd gen up on some highway code basics like road signage and speed limits.....Verdict: I know f*ck all :?
How was it ?? I do mine next week

Sent from my K013 using Tapatalk

2004 Iron Grey 407se 136bhp......Written Off
2006 Moonstone blue 407 se 136 bhp.....Written off
2006 silver 407 SW..........replacement
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Just had a lad come and put a deposit on the old yoyo.

Originally I wanted 5,000 for it, the plan was to put it up for 5,500 and let the idiots knock me down to 5 and feel like they were getting a bargain, however I made the mistake of asking Max to translate the ad for me but apparently I was doing it all wrong so I said "fine, you do it" which he did (eventually), but for some reason he put 5,000€ on it :roll: So it's going for 4,800€ (and that's the last time Max advertises anything for me).

Brakes are as rusty as feck, I reckon the rears are too far gone and they're making a horrible constant grinding noise. I pointed out that the car relies on the brakes for the 4x4 to work properly, so it'll need sorting pronto.
He says the clutch feels "odd", I told him I replaced it about 40,000km ago so it should be ok (but I think he might be right)
Fortunately he didn't spot where the r/h sill is rusting through...

I told him "If you really want a RAV you want the mk1 RAV you do" but he was dead set on one of these for some reason.

Ah well, gets rid of one problem with a bit of folding to boot. Anyway, my wife was getting pissed off with fuckwits ringing her up and asking if it'd drop to 4,000€ without even seeing the damn car! :evil:

steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Btw if you think 5,000€ is way, way, way too much money for such a sh*t old car you could well be right. I reckon it's worth in real terms is, hold on, let me see how much loose change I have in my pocket... It's just that, with the smaller market here, and the daft premiums they put on anything remotely 4x4, that's actually about 2,000€ below anything else the same age!

Before we take it down - http://www.njuskalo.hr/auti/toyota-rav4 ... s-16887530

lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

ithink it looks cool,
(ilike the front grille)

whats with the step on the back. not seen one on a rav before..

couid understand its 'purpose if it was a 7 seater.
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

I just though that was a bolt-on goody but I can't find it in the catalogue :? Feck knows but it was useful for getting retrievers in the back.

Front grille is TTE (Team Toyota Europe) which seems to be bolt-on goodies and performance crap for them. The old grille was broken when I got it, I was looking for another on the bay but that came up cheap. It's the wrong colour, it should be the same colour as the car but I couldn't be asked to paint it.

lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

'they are good cars,

the only things that put me off them was,

All the rattles,
*the bulbs...theyre amare..and some of them are expensive
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

A 4x4 for hairdressers, no range shift, no diff locks, no trick diff, just the one range - medium. Engine screaming at motorway speeds. Enough room in the back for one dog standing sideways. Toyota are no longer reliable either.

Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

trem1 wrote:
Welly wrote:Today I'm going for my speed awareness* course, thought I'd gen up on some highway code basics like road signage and speed limits.....Verdict: I know f*ck all :?
How was it ?? I do mine next week
Well I thought it was very useful and interesting; we were asked about National Speed Limits for all classes of vehicle (but getting it right wasn't compulsory) I got 'Lorries' wrong because they've increased from 40 to 50mph this year on single carriageways and I didn't know they were allowed 60mph on Dual Carriageways. Most people got Transit-type vans wrong as they have lower limits than cars.

There were 25 of us in the room and sat over 4 tables in groups (that's £2,375.00 and we were the second group that day); two guys spoke in turns at the front and used a projector giving examples of different scenarios on the road or facts & figures to look at and then we had to discuss within our groups and took it in turns* to speak our findings to the instructor (mostly me on our table :roll: ).

Most of the course was spent in recognising where NSL's apply as, especially 30mph limits, do not have to be signed regularly. There were differing opinions about what a dual carriageway is (it has to have a central divide and curbs on each side of each road).

Something I found interesting was braking 'speeds'; a video showed a car stopping from a marker point at 30mph to a dead-stop...then another car took the same but started braking at 35mph (it was still doing 11mph at the 'stop' position) and at 40mph it was doing 18mph at the 'stop' :shock: most were horrified at this as most of the braking effort happens in the last few metres.

Generally we were made to think about speeding and the potential consequences; we were each asked why we were 'referred' for speeding and each answer was written on a flippy-chart at the front. Most people said they were pressed for time or late for something etc etc...then they got us to imagine we were sat in court after you'd killed a pedestrian and the only reason you could give for your speed was that you were 'late for an appointment' :oops: and it was kinda "well you should have left plenty of time for the journey then" and to be fair it was quite sobering there are no excuses for speeding is there?

Their tip for driving in a 30 limit was to use 3rd gear as you benefit from a bit of engine braking and you can hear when the speed increases over 30 whereas 4th gear is going to pull you over 30 too easily, fair enough.

We were asked how many people we thought were killed in the UK on the roads in 2014? it was 1775 :shock: then there was 22,000 serious injuries and I think 200,000 'injuries' everyone got those answers wrong.

And according to research; folk that attend the SAC are three times less likely to be nabbed for speeding again over folk who simply take the points/fine so overall I'd say it was a good thing and a lot like advanced driving tuition.

Ooh, we were discussing 'tailgating' behavior and were asked "what goes through your mind when being tailgated?" after a short silence I said "it must be an Audi driver!" ............f*ck me that went down badly........the instructor hurriedly moved the topic on after tying to joke about stereotypes :supafrisk:
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Seriously? What a bunch of miserable idjuts :roll:

So, the best way of driving at 30 is to drive uneconomically? How about leave it in 1st, that way you'll know instantly if you go over 30 because your engine will come through your bonnet.