and today i have mostly been...

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Re: and today i have mostly been...

Post by Welly »

That's good then, UK Vets would have your pants down :frown:
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

steve_earwig wrote:Seeing as how there are so few RAVs for sale here I might indeed end up with a diseasal, obviously I need to avoid a DPF like the Black Death because of the amount of tiny journeys it'll do so I'm now trying to figure out how you tell (yes, green letters on the engine on later cars, but what about early ones?)
Looks like early diesels are dpf free, (dpf is a euro 4 compliance thang). http://rav4world.com/index/diesel.html
2001-2003 are therefore possibly OK, but do have the joyous addition of TWO cats and a stepper-motor controlled egr - what could possibly go wrong?
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Oh! I found RAV4world.com while I was looking for a buyer's guide. You reckon the emissions standards are going to be the same in the US?

Pre cat, main cat and gear-driven egr? I suppose if it doesn't do lots of short journies... :shock:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Welly

Post by Welly »

Can't you find a nice Morris Traveller steve? be a lot easier to look after :)

I don't know about these 'reviews' sometimes, they make every car on the planet look like a money-draining death-trap :roll:

My own car, I found out shortly after buying, was supposed to have a recall on the eggsauce valves (new head req'd) but replacement was at the discretion of the dealers (£1,500.00 job) has mine been done? I dunno, is it running fine? yes no problem.

The chances are by the time the car gets to 6 years+ it will have had all its little hiccups fixed.
Cars in my care:
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Apparently A-series lumps are getting rare these days.

All I worry about is what might go wrong when I'm driving it :(

Btw our dogs are terrified of the little guy (all the maternal instinct of a carrier bag) but he seems to like cuddling up to my UPS :lol: Off to the vet's in a minute.

steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Back from the vet's, he's less than a month old because his eyes are still blue. Bloated stomach is worms, she gave him some jollop. Ker-ching! £0.

She has a load of abandoned dogs there but if she put him in with them they'd steal his food & he'd be toast, neither can they pay someone to come in at weekends and feed the little guy. So, until he's big enough, we have 4 dogs :roll:

I'm always reluctant to name animals, especially young ones if there's a chance they might snuff it, but I've named him to stop my wife doing it (she decided to call our little black cat "Obama" for some daft reason :roll: ) - the inhabitants here have the derogatory nickname Skuter (not sure how you spell it 'cos it's slang) which means "whey" (Little Miss Muffet...) because they have the reputation of being inbred rednecks who are too cheap to buy real food. So he's Scooter.

And he's hungry :roll:

Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

steve_earwig wrote:Oh! I found RAV4world.com while I was looking for a buyer's guide. You reckon the emissions standards are going to be the same in the US?

Pre cat, main cat and gear-driven egr? I suppose if it doesn't do lots of short journies... :shock:
Well, put it this way - the only box on my exhaust that's got anything in it is the backbox, which is OE. Sails through the UK emissions test. Somehow, I can't imagine them being too fussy in your adopted manor, so I reckon It'd be OK sans chats.

For that matter, the only issue with a permanently shut egr appears to be a slight increase in warm-up time.

Oh & welcome to the forum, Scooter. 8)
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

steve_earwig wrote:Back from the vet's, he's less than a month old because his eyes are still blue. Bloated stomach is worms, she gave him some jollop. Ker-ching! £0.

She has a load of abandoned dogs there but if she put him in with them they'd steal his food & he'd be toast, neither can they pay someone to come in at weekends and feed the little guy. So, until he's big enough, we have 4 dogs :roll:

I'm always reluctant to name animals, especially young ones if there's a chance they might snuff it, but I've named him to stop my wife doing it (she decided to call our little black cat "Obama" for some daft reason :roll: ) - the inhabitants here have the derogatory nickname Skuter (not sure how you spell it 'cos it's slang) which means "whey" (Little Miss Muffet...) because they have the reputation of being inbred rednecks who are too cheap to buy real food. So he's Scooter.

And he's hungry :roll:
Wow, Sounds like a Good vet that if theyve charged you £0 for the worming treatment,
My Vet charges me, £27 consultation fee to start with,
just got some, tablets for the dog to calm him over bonfire night, Fireworks,
5 tablets, £38

to have his nails clipped they want, £25 iwill do them my self ithink :mrgreen:

Re worms, we dont use tablets or drugs to de worm adog in the Greyhound industry, the best treatment is cheaply available in any greengrocerys costs around 15p. but vets say its Toxic, but me and 1000s of other greyhound owners beg to differ :roll:

Btw, from the picture it looks like a little Staffie, icouid be wrong tho,
he will make a lovely pet, are you keeping him,

if its related to the staffie breed, watch him for chewing door frames and table legs,
they have a tendancy to chew wooden items when theyre Teething or bored,
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

I bet you don't get money off your bill by doing odd jobs around the place either :wink: My dad reckons Staff, I reckon he'll be a dolly mixture mainly because I've not seen many Staffs here & doubt anyone would just chuck one away. The plan is not to keep him but I know what happens to plans...

So come on then, what costs 15p from the greengrocer and vets reckon is poisonous to dogs? (apart from a potato...)

Oh yes, his teeth marks probably won't show amongst all the ones the retrievers did :roll:

Aww, nice cuddly UPS - just don't widdle on it :shock:

lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

steve_earwig wrote:I bet you don't get money off your bill by doing odd jobs around the place either :wink: My dad reckons Staff, I reckon he'll be a dolly mixture mainly because I've not seen many Staffs here & doubt anyone would just chuck one away. The plan is not to keep him but I know what happens to plans...

So come on then, what costs 15p from the greengrocer and vets reckon is poisonous to dogs? (apart from a potato...)

Oh yes, his teeth marks probably won't show amongst all the ones the retrievers did :roll:

Aww, nice cuddly UPS - just don't widdle on it :shock:

Clue: Some people have been known to have planted these in there Garden. oftenly confused with Dafodils, :roll:

aww so your not keeping the Sweet little staffie then, :(

He wouid make a great pet, there temprament is excellent,

wished icouid have another one but my dog dont get along with anything otherthan his own breed, :(

id say hes a staffie mate,
going off his Head feet, he will go anice brindle colour,
how old the vet say he is, iwouid say 8 weeks + ,

He might keep you up at night for a while, he will possibly be missing his mum,
we used to put a windup clock next to a pups bed,
dont know why but it seems to help them sleep, :?
Last edited by lozz on Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

compare him with this,
see pic,

any simalarities ?
staffie pup brindle.jpg
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Well yes, and no - smaller ears, fuller face, but he probably has some in him.

I guess we'll see how much when he gets a bit bigger.
lozz wrote:Clue: Some people have been known to have planted these in there Garden. oftenly confused with Dafodils, :roll:
:oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I didn't know they're meant to be poisonous, sometimes when I'm making some food the retrievers try to cadge food off me and I chuck them whatever I've got in my hand, a slice of onion occasionally disappears :supafrisk:

My wife has students now, I'm trying to persuade her to pop him in on of their bags :twisted: Mad for yogurt, he came out of the bowl with it all over his head :lol: And he chased one of the retrievers away from her food - she's about 100 times his size and terrified of him? :shock:

steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

steve_earwig wrote:...but I know what happens to plans...
It's started already - the wife insists he goes to a good home...

I told her I already named him to stop her calling him Cameron or something equally daft and she confessed to have been considering the name "George" :roll:

steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Should I retitle this thread to "The bad back, insomnia, 4x4 buying and miscellaneous dog thread"?

I've been trolling through the RAV 4 section of the Toy Otter Owner's Club, this is the best "buyer's guide" I found: http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/ ... try1155330 I also keep coming across people who say that if you mostly do short journeys and/or not many miles a year don't buy a diesel - whatever can they mean? :shock:

It's my wife's busy morning, loads of classes, loads of little kids going "awwww" when they see out little doggy but no takers (yet...)

Welly

Post by Welly »

Awww, cute doggy - looks kinda staffy but with big'ish ears :?

I'd take your time considering a new motor but I know you wouldn't rush into anything without doing *loads* of research first. I think you can't go far wrong with 'generalisations' like "Jap cars are reliable", "Vauxhalls are crap", "VW's will be the end of you", that kinda thing :|
Cars in my care: