Today I saw my first....

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

sirwiggum
3.0 24v

Today I saw my first....

Post by sirwiggum »

Yesterday I saw my first Aston Martin Cygnet.

Down by Holywood, millionaires mile (Rory McIlroy and chums). It looked like what the new Mini should be, especially with the grille.

Other than that, recently saw that Renault electric quad thing.

Post your sightings of new / rare cars! :)

Cheers
1999 Honda Accord Coupe 2.0 Vtec Automatic
Previously 2002 406 HDi 90 Rapier Monaco Blue
Welly wrote:something to do with rubber/splits/bursts/flat/floppy etc
leestudd30
2.0 Turbo

Re: Today I saw my first....

Post by leestudd30 »

Theres an Aston dealership round the corner from me! Isn't the Cygnet just a rebadged, tarted up Toyota IQ? I saw a VX Ampera a month ago. That wasn't bad but I think the Chevrolet Volt looks nicer.
1997 2 litre GLX 4dr now dead!
2005 Citroen Xsara Picasso Desire HDi
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

leestudd30 wrote:Isn't the Cygnet just a rebadged, tarted up Toyota IQ?
Yes, that's all it is. Aston's only changes have been a couple of tweaks to the exterior, and a bit more effort on the interior to try and make it a bit more luxurious - there's apparently still an unreasonable amount of hard plastics on the interior though.

The only reason they're selling it is because they have to, so that they don't fall foul of some stupid EU regulations concerning average fleet emissions.

The Cygnet has less than 100 HP. Oh, it's also about £25,000 more expensive than the iQ is. You can buy a 2nd hand Aston Martin for a lot less than that. A proper one, I mean, with the right number of cylinders (either 8 or 12) and genuinely stunning looks.
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
sirwiggum
3.0 24v

Post by sirwiggum »

Its a purely cynical exercise.

However, the grille looks very original Mini, and the concept of a small car that can seat 4 adults sits better with the concept of the proper Mini than the effort that BMW have been peddling to estate agents and hairdressers for the last few years.
plod
3.0 24v

Post by plod »

Funnily enough I saw one of those Aston's today

The other day I saw a Jag XJ220 in yellow :shock: on the M40 as I approached J15 - never seen one outside a museum before

There's a place I collect from on a regular basis, and 2 doors down is a place that restores Bugattis
Must be 25 or more of them at this place - hate to think how much the place is insured for :lol:
1999 D8.5 HDi GLX - Sold :(

2007 Mondingo Zetec - I seek forgiveness :( Bring back my 406
waue1978
HDi don't believe it!

Post by waue1978 »

Marsh Barton in Exeter used to be a good place for rare (& expensive cars) due to the large amount of exclusive dealerships down there.
2000/X Peugeot 406 110 HDi LX Family 93k to 2000/W BMW 530D SE Auto 84k to 2003/03 Peugeot Partner Hdi Escapade 98k to 2003/53 Vauxhall Zafira DTi Elegance 74k

CountryPug
2.0 Turbo

Post by CountryPug »

Within the last week I've seen a Delorean, a Lambo Gallardo, an Audi Quattro and a 405 Executive. I can't help but stare at rare cars and I make it blatantly obvious, often giving the owners a thumbs up if they spot me staring :lol:
Present - 95' 405 GLX TD
Previous - 01' 406 LX HDi
sirwiggum
3.0 24v

Post by sirwiggum »

I see the occasional DeLorean. Most were last May at the meet at the transport museum. About a hundred of them from all over, France, Netherlands etc.
Suppose with the local production there are still local enthusiasts as I see one now and then.
scotty73
3.0 24v

Post by scotty73 »

sirwiggum wrote: at the transport museum. .
Transportation back to the future? :wink:
2000 W 2.0hdi 110 7 seat estate Blue.

And this glue is for my submarine not for putting up you're f*c*ing noses, and dont think i dont notice cos i do... Buy your own f*c*ing glue!!! Fatty Lewis Twin town 1997.
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

CountryPug wrote:Within the last week I've seen a Delorean, a Lambo Gallardo, an Audi Quattro and a 405 Executive. I can't help but stare at rare cars and I make it blatantly obvious, often giving the owners a thumbs up if they spot me staring :lol:
I saw my first Noble car yesterday, driving down my road - the owner was obviously shitting himself at every speed bump. I think it was a Noble M12, in some kind of dark red.

Also on my street, but on Tuesday night, was a Ferrari F430 in a dark blue with a hint of purple in the paint - pearlescent?

I was on my way back home from work on Monday and heading the other way there passed a guy in an Aston Martin V12 Vantage in dark grey (I think these look best in a very glossy black).

And the week before last, also on the way home from work, again heading the opposite way from me passed a Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder with the roof down, glossy black paint gleaming in the sun. The driver was quite young, and gave me the thumbs up as he went past - a compliment for the Coupe, or maybe he caught my envious glare. Lucky bastard, having one of those to enjoy in the sunshine. (yes, sunshine in Aberdeen; yes, it does happen; no, not often)

I always find myself gawping at exotic cars too. But I'm not alone - there was a guy in our office's finance department who celebrated his 60th birthday a year or two ago. His friend owns a supercar showroom, and loaned him his own personal Ferrari F40 - the genuine article - a car worth in excess of £400,000. He showed up outside the office in it, and it attracted quite a crowd.

I love rich people (because how else would I get to see these beautiful cars up close?) but by God I hate them sometimes. I work my bloody arse off day in day out and earn roughly f*ck-all and these guys are rolling in it because their daddy owns an oil company. Rant over, back to work.
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
D9406
2.2 16v

Post by D9406 »

A handfull of gold BMW's.Parked on a dealers forecourt in Cheltenham, very very shiny and flash.I drove past and saw them, to be honest you couldn't miss them, loads of sales bods around them. Presumably in town for the Torch celebrations on the racecourse in the evening. They have gone now.
1999 406 HDi 2.0 110 GTX Estate. 48k when bought, now 150K. Second owner, I've covered over 100k in it.
Clutch changed @110k, bottom pulley changed, cam belt changed, EGR blanked, cat removed, front springs changed.
sirwiggum
3.0 24v

Post by sirwiggum »

Aye rich people.

Its not what you know its who you know. I could point out one of my fellow students at uni, same degree in the same course. Hes now and director at Deutche Bank. And I am not. I have no doubt his dad was in the funny handshake club mind.

Then these idiots on MTV that are famous for the sake of being rich and airheads. Running around getting brand new Porsche Cayennes for their 16th birthdays :roll:
plod
3.0 24v

Post by plod »

Not short on Noble's round here as the factory is about 4 mile away
Also Ultima is about a mile down the road, so see a few of them round here as well
1999 D8.5 HDi GLX - Sold :(

2007 Mondingo Zetec - I seek forgiveness :( Bring back my 406
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

I seen an infiniti m30d today the first infiniti I've ever seen, ugly looking big thing.
CountryPug
2.0 Turbo

Post by CountryPug »

FarmerPug wrote:I seen an infiniti m30d today the first infiniti I've ever seen, ugly looking big thing.
Haven't seen any infinities over here yet but I did get a run in a G37 when I was in Canada a couple of years ago, sounded awesome and went like sh*te off a shovel :D
Present - 95' 405 GLX TD
Previous - 01' 406 LX HDi