Changing Tyre-size (Insurance question)

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Changing Tyre-size (Insurance question)

Post by Welly »

My car comes with 205 x 50 x 17's and I've discovered these can be swapped for 225 x 45 x 17's with no problems.

the 225's are *much* more common and as a result are a fair bit cheaper to buy......they also take me into a new range of choice including the new Goodyear Eagle F1's (which aren't made in my current size).

I will need to advise my Insurance of the change but are they likely to make a fuss about it and charge me more etc??
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
DaiRees
Site Admin

Re: Changing Tyre-size (Insurance question)

Post by DaiRees »

They could apply the "It's a mod therefore that's 10% extra" rule :roll: . When the size you're changing to is also fitted as standard to some models I suppose you can argue the toss :supafrisk:

I did it once with a Nova, figured if anyone ever said anything I'd play dumb because the size I fitted were standard on later models and special editions. These days though, anyone can tap your number into a computer and see what size it had coming out of the factory so playing dumb isn't really an option.
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
midsmike
3.0 24v

Post by midsmike »

I wouldn't tell them its not like ur changing your wheel size ur giving it more grip and handling
1998 peugeot 406 2.1 td executive saloon silver,d9 mods 18" dare v2 alloys In Phase XTC 6.5″ 240W Component Speakers up front and Vibe Slick 6x9 Three Way Speakers - Slick 693 in the rear runing off a Alpine MRV-F307 V12 Series amp and a vibe cbr 12 twin evo sub in the boot. 1998 peugeot 406 2.1 td lx saloon red
OdinEidolon
3.0 24v

Post by OdinEidolon »

midsmike wrote:I wouldn't tell them its not like ur changing your wheel size ur giving it more grip and handling
Yes and then if you have a bad accident they can refuse to pay because you broke the contract.
2001 2.2HDi saloon Executive (not the English exec, worse!) in Obsidian Black. Semi-Mux D9, build code 8761
Want a remap? Contact us, learn to do it yourself on ecuedit.com or let the professionals of editecu.com do it for you!

ecuedit.com | carecus.com | editecu.com | boschecus.com | carsrubber.com | egrswitch.com | car-specification.com
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

OdinEidolon wrote:
midsmike wrote:I wouldn't tell them its not like ur changing your wheel size ur giving it more grip and handling
Yes and then if you have a bad accident they can refuse to pay because you broke the contract.
Not even if you have a bad accident. My old saloon got smashed up by some arse in a white van - my car was parked by the side of the road, and I wasn't in it. Even though the accident wasn't my fault, when I tried to claim on my insurance (because said arse f*cked off without leaving details of his insurance), they were getting all pissy...

... because I hadn't told them about the 15" Peugeot alloy wheels I'd fitted (my saloon originally had steel wheels), the Peugeot 406 OEM spoiler (which wasn't originally on my car), and the stainless steel exhaust.

They didn't want to pay out for the damage done to my car because these parts were there and not on the policy (I honestly thought they were, but no) - even though none of those parts were damaged!

So even if your car isn't moving, and the accident isn't your fault, and you have undeclared mods, and those mods aren't damaged by the accident, rather than just paying out for repairs to the factory-standard parts, the insurance company will ask you for a lump sum payment for the extra insurance premium you should have been paying them - back-dated to the start of your policy term (because I couldn't prove when these parts were installed) - will subsequently increase the cost of your premiums.

If you must modify your car from original spec, bite the bullet and phone them before you modify the car. Describe to them what it is you want to do and why, and ask them if it will cause an increase in your premiums. If they say it will, then ask them how much it will affect you by. This will give you a clear idea of whether or not it'll be cheaper to forget it and just pay for the rarer, more expensive tyres, or to go ahead and get the policy altered.
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
scotty73
3.0 24v

Post by scotty73 »

Bloody hell thats bonkers, my old astra was running on differant size tyres when i bought it and it wasn't until i had to change one i found they were the wrong size but i still ran it one that size for close to 4 years.

Never even crossed my mind about informing the insurers, i did though have a respray claim and they never mentioned anything about wrong size tyres. :?
2000 W 2.0hdi 110 7 seat estate Blue.

And this glue is for my submarine not for putting up you're f*c*ing noses, and dont think i dont notice cos i do... Buy your own f*c*ing glue!!! Fatty Lewis Twin town 1997.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

I was thinking that - why not phone your insurance leeches up and ask them? Better ask if whatever it is is standard practice across all insurers because you're bound to change companies sooner or later (when they decide that perhaps you've gone soft in the head and they can massively increase your premium without you noticing...)

So what you're saying there G is if there's any deviation to what the records say a car came out the factory with they can use it as an excuse to clobber us for a heap of cash or refuse to pay anything at all in the event of a claim - I think we all need to rush out to our cars with a print out of our Service Box characteristics :shock:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

steve_earwig wrote:So what you're saying there G is if there's any deviation to what the records say a car came out the factory with they can use it as an excuse to clobber us for a heap of cash or refuse to pay anything at all in the event of a claim
That's exactly it.

The problem is that it is entirely down to the discretion not only of the insurer, but of their contracted vehicle inspector. The jobsworth twat that looked my car over was even peering through the window to see if I had changed the seats or speakers (even though my policy covered up to £1000 of standard or non-standard audio equipment). Completely irrelevant to the accident in question, but you could see the agenda. It wouldn't surprise me if these inspectors were given a bonus or commission on every car they had to report as being modified but undeclared.

Insurance = legalized protection racket = law-abiding motorists get screwed over
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

idont think insurers will bother tbh,

always best to ask tho,

you can have differnt sizes as long as youve got a pair on each axle as per the Mot side of it,
so idont think insurers will be harsed,

if it was an Mpv theyre abit keen as per load rating tyres, xl reinforced ones etc,
found that one out when ihad a ford galaxy :(
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Thanks for the replies, I will tell the insurers first.

Lozz - my tyres are 'XL' :| it's a 4-door saloon and need Extra Load Tyres for some reason. I know it's a Volvo but it's not any heavier than a Mondeo or Vectra so I don't know why.

I e-mailed Goodyear about whether it is ok to fit 225's onto my 7J rims and they responded (within 10 mins :shock: ) by answering 'yes' but also including a reference to this organisation..........http://www.etrto.org/page.asp?id=1685&langue=EN

I have downloaded a free copy of the latest regs (just needs your e-mail address to register) and it's quite interesting (as tyres go). Covers just about everything I think.

Have a squint at the registered members, they're all on there.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

iwas never sure on the XL-re inforced tyre stuff,

when ihad the Mpvs, where iwas spending 200 quid a throw on tyres, (couidnt aford them at that price)
tyre fitter told me just to stay withing the right load ratings, for the vehicle, so you just go off the load ratings stamped on the tyre,

as aguess id say volvos wouid need something like, 89 -90
carnt see a saloon needing xl tyres, estates possibly as for the weight they can carry

Eg: 89
This tire has a load index of 89, which means it's capable of carrying a load of 1279 pounds (580 kg) or less. A higher number means the tire can carry more weight. A lower number means the opposite.
scotty73
3.0 24v

Post by scotty73 »

The XL must surely be for when the car is fully loaded so what if welly never loads it and just uses it to get to work?... Or does he transport elephants for a living? :lol:
2000 W 2.0hdi 110 7 seat estate Blue.

And this glue is for my submarine not for putting up you're f*c*ing noses, and dont think i dont notice cos i do... Buy your own f*c*ing glue!!! Fatty Lewis Twin town 1997.
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

some of the speed ratings on tyres makes me laugh,

this tyre is capable of doing 160mph. :?

but does it come with a free lambo :frown:
sirwiggum
3.0 24v

Post by sirwiggum »

Does it come with a free trackday?
Or a good motoring law solicitor?
1999 Honda Accord Coupe 2.0 Vtec Automatic
Previously 2002 406 HDi 90 Rapier Monaco Blue
Welly wrote:something to do with rubber/splits/bursts/flat/floppy etc