The sign says flood

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

D9406
2.2 16v

The sign says flood

Post by D9406 »

Title says it all.
My lad, Hdi 90 Estate, rings me up last night, "Dad I'm stuck." He had driven into a lane ignoring the flood signs Because he thought it was OK and got stuck in sill deep water. Because the air intake is so low on 406's he had sucked up water through the air filter and into the engine. RAC duly arrived and got him out, took glow plugs out and emptied cylinders of water by turning engine over and pumping water out of glow plug holes. Took out sodden air filter put glowplugs back in and tried engine, started first go. Lots of steam out of exhaust otherwise OK. So this morning oil and filter change, new air filter and everything seems OK so far.
RAC charged him £82 because although a member this was not a mechanical breakdown, they don't cover stupidity. New workboots £52 as his are soaked through, oil, filter and air filter, about £170 all up. Lesson learnt.
1999 406 HDi 2.0 110 GTX Estate. 48k when bought, now 150K. Second owner, I've covered over 100k in it.
Clutch changed @110k, bottom pulley changed, cam belt changed, EGR blanked, cat removed, front springs changed.
DaiRees
Site Admin

Re: The sign says flood

Post by DaiRees »

Very lucky to get away with that!! :roll: :oops:
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Could've been a lot worse (bent con-rods and stuff).
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
scotty73
3.0 24v

Post by scotty73 »

So does this mean we shouldn't cross any shallow rivers in our hdi's? i went through a sill deep puddle the other day mine was fine. :?
2000 W 2.0hdi 110 7 seat estate Blue.

And this glue is for my submarine not for putting up you're f*c*ing noses, and dont think i dont notice cos i do... Buy your own f*c*ing glue!!! Fatty Lewis Twin town 1997.
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

What it means is that if the water is more than about 6" deep you'd be safer jumping out and disconnecting the intake hose from the filter housing before you go fording. If it's deep enough to get straight into the filter box with the hose disconnected, you've got more to worry about! :wink:
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

iused to take my old d9 through the river, ididnt bother it.
iguess iwas lucky then,

iwas going to take the lag for a dip too, dont think iwill bother now, iwill use the jet wash instead
scotty73
3.0 24v

Post by scotty73 »

DaiRees wrote:What it means is that if the water is more than about 6" deep you'd be safer jumping out and disconnecting the intake hose from the filter housing before you go fording. If it's deep enough to get straight into the filter box with the hose disconnected, you've got more to worry about! :wink:
I had never thought of that, every diesel i've had (only 2) have gone through water with no problems, i shall have to remember that it's a car.... And not actually a barge. :lol:

And this glue is for my submarine not for putting up you're f*c*ing noses, and dont think i dont notice cos i do... Buy your own f*c*ing glue!!! Fatty Lewis Twin town 1997.
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

scotty73 wrote:
DaiRees wrote:What it means is that if the water is more than about 6" deep you'd be safer jumping out and disconnecting the intake hose from the filter housing before you go fording. If it's deep enough to get straight into the filter box with the hose disconnected, you've got more to worry about! :wink:
I had never thought of that, every diesel i've had (only 2) have gone through water with no problems, i shall have to remember that it's a car.... And not actually a barge. :lol:

I had never thought of that, every diesel i've had (only 2) have gone through water with no problems, i shall have to remember that it's a car.... And not actually a Submarine. :lol:[/quote]

:cheesy:
scotty73
3.0 24v

Post by scotty73 »

Nice edit Lozz you got me thinking of watching twin town for the 200th time now.
And this glue is for my submarine not for putting up you're f*c*ing noses, and dont think i dont notice cos i do... Buy your own f*c*ing glue!!! Fatty Lewis Twin town 1997
At the moment you wouldn't think my submarine has been anywhere near any water it two months it's bloody stinking from camping mud :mrgreen:

lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

someone rekoned the Wartburg can drive on water,
whats one of them erm dunno?

just you tubed it,

looks good http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml3JcywG ... re=related

where can i buy one :roll:
scotty73
3.0 24v

Post by scotty73 »

lozz wrote:someone rekoned the Wartburg can drive on water,
whats one of them erm dunno?

just you tubed it,

looks good http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml3JcywG ... re=related

where can i buy one :roll:
Looks like a lada in a prom dress to me. :lol:

lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eUObcKIm9I Fail

are those garden strimmers :roll:
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

I remember the old Wartburg 3 cylinder 2 strokes :D

First job I ever did as an apprentice was to help the mechanic I had as mentor remove the engine to change the clutch.

Did loads of jobs on those, used to be fun watching the floor twist and bend as you drove along :shock:
trem1
3.0 24v

Post by trem1 »

twas how i lost my 406 :evil:
mine was a 1.8 petrol and i went through a ford that was only 6 inches deep. insurance wrote it off cos engine was fubarred :(

2004 Iron Grey 407se 136bhp......Written Off
2006 Moonstone blue 407 se 136 bhp.....Written off
2006 silver 407 SW..........replacement
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

jasper5 wrote:I remember the old Wartburg 3 cylinder 2 strokes :D

First job I ever did as an apprentice was to help the mechanic I had as mentor remove the engine to change the clutch.

Did loads of jobs on those, used to be fun watching the floor twist and bend as you drove along :shock:
They were dog-rough, but the 3-cyl 2-stroke sounded just like a decent straight 6, at least when it was pulling. :roll:
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)