Compatibility

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

Sonia406
3.0 24v

Compatibility

Post by Sonia406 »

Realistically, is there many parts I can rob from Miss Pug (2.0 petrol) if I got the 52 plate 2.2 HDi exec?

I know there is some front end damage to the grille and the fog lights were clouded over a little, bare in mind I replaced my front O/S fog last year I will definitely be swapping those over...

Will I find much more else compatible?
Trying to decide whether Miss Pug is actually worth selling, or keeping as a donor car........

Of course IF I get a diesel...
'Miss Pug' Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Petrol 'Family' Estate.
6th December 2011 - November 2014
24th January 2017 - Current (I bought her back!)
jonsowman
3.0 24v

Re: Compatibility

Post by jonsowman »

Almost all the bodywork and interior will be the same (excepting trim levels). Obviously not the engine (not sure on box?), and I wouldn't count too much on electric/electronic systems. Running gear should be mostly the same, and centre console is basically the same as well.

As you say, it all depends on what price you can get for the 2.0 petrol. Also consider what parts you can expect to have to replace on the 2.2 - there's no point keeping the petrol for its interior if you're never going to want to change it.

It's a shame the two aren't the same colour or it'd definitely be worth keeping for replacement body panels :)
2002 V6 SE Coupé (210bhp) - (Aegean Blue)
2002 D9 2.2 HDi Exec Estate - Samarkand Blue
PM me for PP2000 diagnostics around Surrey
Sonia406
3.0 24v

Post by Sonia406 »

jonsowman wrote:Almost all the bodywork and interior will be the same (excepting trim levels). Obviously not the engine (not sure on box?), and I wouldn't count too much on electric/electronic systems. Running gear should be mostly the same, and centre console is basically the same as well.

As you say, it all depends on what price you can get for the 2.0 petrol. Also consider what parts you can expect to have to replace on the 2.2 - there's no point keeping the petrol for its interior if you're never going to want to change it.

It's a shame the two aren't the same colour or it'd definitely be worth keeping for replacement body panels :)

Oh I know. Nothing beats China Blue, such a sexy colour! Plus there are definitely a few scratches and the bonnet especially that had rust in a few places... It's definitely going to be a constant battle with scrap yards to find better condition body panels, unless I can pay someone to professionally take charge of the scratches and rust... I'm thankful my bonnet on miss pug hasn't got any rust and corrosion, a few stone chips yes but a lot of 406s suffer with lots of rust on the bonnet... Sadly this one has a bit...
jonsowman
3.0 24v

Post by jonsowman »

Some bonnets seem to rust and some don't - no idea why.

It depends how long you're planning to keep the car and how fussy you are about bodywork. I'm really fussy about it, so I factored having any damage professionally repaired into what I was prepared to pay for the car, and used it as a bargaining tool as well. In the end that's why I picked the Coupe I did - it had the best bodywork by far. The mechanical stuff can be fixed a lot cheaper than the paintwork.

You're not too far from A5 Salvage in Leighton Buzzard, they always have about 20 406s in (no Coupes, sadly) and are very helpful on the phone. Give them a ring and ask if they've got a black D9 perhaps?
Sonia406
3.0 24v

Post by Sonia406 »

jonsowman wrote:Some bonnets seem to rust and some don't - no idea why.

It depends how long you're planning to keep the car and how fussy you are about bodywork. I'm really fussy about it, so I factored having any damage professionally repaired into what I was prepared to pay for the car, and used it as a bargaining tool as well. In the end that's why I picked the Coupe I did - it had the best bodywork by far. The mechanical stuff can be fixed a lot cheaper than the paintwork.

You're not too far from A5 Salvage in Leighton Buzzard, they always have about 20 406s in (no Coupes, sadly) and are very helpful on the phone. Give them a ring and ask if they've got a black D9 perhaps?

Must admit that is on my list of places to go... I have heard they are really good there... Don't suppose you have any idea on the name and address of it?
Did you see me in the layby when you whizzed by after Haynes by the way? :shock: That was an awful traffic jam thanks to the broken beamer...
jonsowman
3.0 24v

Post by jonsowman »

It's on their website here: http://www.a5salvage.com/

I didn't see you after Haynes actually, wasn't looking towards the layby apparently! But I did get caught in that jam, took forever to get through :frown:
Sonia406
3.0 24v

Post by Sonia406 »

jonsowman wrote:It's on their website here: http://www.a5salvage.com/

I didn't see you after Haynes actually, wasn't looking towards the layby apparently! But I did get caught in that jam, took forever to get through :frown:
It did didn't it? Didn't help the ''help traffic merge'' thing as it went into single carriageway..
I guessed it was you... I'd pulled over to find my fags and looked up to see a black coupe just go by really fast...
Was it just the beamer involved? I can't believe what happened to the wheel, it was wrecked!

P.s Day 10 of giving up smoking for ''stoctober'' - I'm sure this will be news to those at Haynes who saw me smoking like a chimney........ :oops:
waue1978
HDi don't believe it!

Post by waue1978 »

Swap the 7 seat conversion over, rob any bits of trim that may be broken on the new one (basically putting the best of everything on the one you're keeping) & just sell Miss Pug as a cheap runaround estate. If it's got MOT & it runs, you'll usually score £500 from somebody for it. Probably safe to say you'll struggle to save £500 in replacement parts & at least you won't end up with a ton of bits lying around.

Besides, sods law dictates that the parts you need when something goes wrong won't be in your stash anyway - it never was with mine & I had loads of bits as you well know.
2000/X Peugeot 406 110 HDi LX Family 93k to 2000/W BMW 530D SE Auto 84k to 2003/03 Peugeot Partner Hdi Escapade 98k to 2003/53 Vauxhall Zafira DTi Elegance 74k

jonsowman
3.0 24v

Post by jonsowman »

I think it was just the Beamer; didn't see any other vehicles. Yes, the wheel was a total wreck! Bits and pieces of tyre and plastic all over the road :shock:
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Sonia406 wrote:P.s Day 10 of giving up smoking for ''stoctober'' - I'm sure this will be news to those at Haynes who saw me smoking like a chimney........ :oops:
Good for you. I had quite a few failed attempts before finally kicking it in May 2001.
Mrs Doggy's been off the weed for 3 years now, none of us thought she'd ever manage it, but she did.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
Sonia406
3.0 24v

Post by Sonia406 »

waue1978 wrote:Swap the 7 seat conversion over, rob any bits of trim that may be broken on the new one (basically putting the best of everything on the one you're keeping) & just sell Miss Pug as a cheap runaround estate. If it's got MOT & it runs, you'll usually score £500 from somebody for it. Probably safe to say you'll struggle to save £500 in replacement parts & at least you won't end up with a ton of bits lying around.

Besides, sods law dictates that the parts you need when something goes wrong won't be in your stash anyway - it never was with mine & I had loads of bits as you well know.
Oh don't you worry the seats are being transferred, will need a scrap yard for a grey boot trim.. as new car will be beige... (here's hoping I get it anyway)

jonsowman wrote:I think it was just the Beamer; didn't see any other vehicles. Yes, the wheel was a total wreck! Bits and pieces of tyre and plastic all over the road :shock:
Oh I know, terrible... I wondered if there was another vehicle that was recovered before I got there :shock:
Doggy wrote:
Sonia406 wrote:P.s Day 10 of giving up smoking for ''stoctober'' - I'm sure this will be news to those at Haynes who saw me smoking like a chimney........ :oops:
Good for you. I had quite a few failed attempts before finally kicking it in May 2001.
Mrs Doggy's been off the weed for 3 years now, none of us thought she'd ever manage it, but she did.
Thanks Doggy, I've been on and off smoker for many years now, started again only March this year (after quitting last July) so here's hoping that again I can kick the habit for longer. I only really started again due to the stress of the divorce and child custody hearings etc! :shock:
Well done to you two :mrgreen: