Tyres

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Re: Tyres

Post by Doggy »

Welly wrote:It's an interesting point, you buy a second hand car you have no clue how many times the tyres have been smashed up and down kerbs or ran low on pressure etc - except for a visual of the sidewalls you just drive the thing.
Or a hire car,
a taxi
and come to think of it, dozens of would-be schumachers have been sacked by the various car logistics outfits around my neck of the woods for mecilessly ragging new cars round the yard.

Where do you stop?
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

Bailes1992 wrote:
lozz wrote:
rwb wrote:FWIW: have a look at blackcircles.com and/or tyretraders.com to investigate the noise/performance/efficiency ratings.

After choosing my favourites I'd then be looking on eBay for part-worns.
I know that upsets some people, but I'm a cheapskake and I pays my money and takes my choice so nerr.
Theres nothing wrong with part worns imho, as long as they've not been damaged on removal,

people moan about part worns, but you don't hear them moan about them when they buy a second hand car,
every second hand car comes with 4 part worns , so whats the difference ? :?
I did actually change all 4 tyres on my Mondeo when I got it! :oops: the two front dunlops still had 4mm left and the bridgestone on the rear had 3mm and there was a brand new budget the car supermarket put on.

Difference though is when you buy a car or wheels with tyres you can check the wheels for damage to give you a rough idea of the condition of the tyres. I've seen first had what can happen with part worns so I steer well away. I think the government need to start enforcing some serious rules before I go anywhere near them.
iwasnt having a pop at you on that subject mate,

but people get it wrong about part worn's. anew one is always best but -if someones short of coin and they've one or 2 low tyres, part worn is better than getting a few points off the law.
plod
3.0 24v

Post by plod »

Tried the garage next to work out of curiosity, plus the car needed an MOT
Asked about Hankooks but they said they had difficulty getting them.
Anyway, did me a deal, and for the MOT and 2x Avon ZV5 215/55/16V Xload tyres, the bill was £188, so pretty pleased with that, as on Blackcircles IIRC the tyres are £100+ each
Thanks for the help anyway 8)
1999 D8.5 HDi GLX - Sold :(

2007 Mondingo Zetec - I seek forgiveness :( Bring back my 406
davew
2.0 16v

Post by davew »

my mate has his own tyre fitting business so i can get mine at trade but i still don't buy expensive ones there are some great budget tyres out there as long as you steer away from remoulds at the moment i've got some tyres made in india called appolo and they have been great , they recently bought out vredestien so they are a big company and the are less than half the price of a michelin and in a recent test scored higher than them.
generally though i just ask what the taxi boys are using as they like good tyres that are not expensive :)
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

Getting new tyres tomorrow (hopefully) to replace the very-nearly-illegal fronts.

2x Uniroyal Rainsport 3, in 235/35/19

I'm glad it's payday on Monday :shock:
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
plod
3.0 24v

Post by plod »

plod wrote:Tried the garage next to work out of curiosity, plus the car needed an MOT
Asked about Hankooks but they said they had difficulty getting them.
Anyway, did me a deal, and for the MOT and 2x Avon ZV5 215/55/16V Xload tyres, the bill was £188, so pretty pleased with that, as on Blackcircles IIRC the tyres are £100+ each
Thanks for the help anyway 8)
Bonus, they are W rated not V, so even better :) and the price was £186 and that included the mot and a bulb :) :)
1999 D8.5 HDi GLX - Sold :(

2007 Mondingo Zetec - I seek forgiveness :( Bring back my 406
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

highlander wrote:Getting new tyres tomorrow (hopefully) to replace the very-nearly-illegal fronts.

2x Uniroyal Rainsport 3, in 235/35/19

I'm glad it's payday on Monday :shock:
Got the Uniroyal Rainsport 3s fitted. Nearly £300 for two tyres bought, fitted, and balanced, plus the taxman's cut; hope they last a long time! Too soon to tell how well they perform; I need to go on a long motorway blast

Unfortunately they found I had uneven tyre wear on the rears; the rear-left tyre is down to minimums on the inside, and will need replaced. The rear-right was replaced in April following a burst sidewall after hitting a pothole, but is showing signs of uneven wear too. The car is due a service soon anyway, so will ask them to check out the tracking and alignment, and see if the suspension bushes / anti-roll bar droplinks need doing. And get me another bleeding tyre :(
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
trufflehunt
3.0 24v

Post by trufflehunt »

davew wrote: generally though i just ask what the taxi boys are using as they like good tyres that are not expensive :)
What do they say?
2006 Toyota Yaris 1.0 T3
1993 Mazda MX5 Mk1 1.6
2000 "W" HDI 110 Executive Saloon (Recycled).
Bailes1992

Post by Bailes1992 »

Taxi guys around here fit the cheapest nonsense going!
2020 BMW 520d MSport Touring My Daily
2017 Dacia Logan MCV 1.5DCi Laureate Wifes
1996 Land Rover Defender 90 County SW 300TDi My Toy
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220 3.0 V6 My Other Toy
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

A lot of the taxi lad's iknow don't skimp on tyres.
they get them from cost'co seen the price of em there ? :shock:

uphere the reg's- for taxi's are pretty keen,.so there cars have to be spot on.