Winter is annoying me!

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

Bailes1992

Winter is annoying me!

Post by Bailes1992 »

Winter is usually my favourite time of year!
I'm not a big fan of the heat. During the summer it's not an issue as I can pop inside in the shade to cool down. It's not usually an issue in the winter but it's warm outside and because the heating is on in every single building it's warm inside too!
The Missus thinks I'm insane and I should start wearing a jumper because "It's the middle of f*cking December and people are looking at you stupid".
It was 15°c on Saturday for god sakes! :evil:

I love getting up early in the morning, sun shining, frost everywhere and scraping the windows while the car clatters away at idle.
Then get in my toasty car for my 2 hour commute to work. Everything seems far more peacefull when there's a bit of frost. It's all very pretty too!

But alas... so far all we've seen is rain, clouds and I can count with one finger how many times I've had to scrape ice off my Windscreen.

Today I woke up, got in my car at 5:30am and it was 8°c. It's still to warm to even consider winter tyres usefull!

Technically the first day of Winter is December 21st but I'm not holding out any hope that it's going to cool down much at all! :(
I think we're stuck with a wet, windy and mild winter.

Bah bloody humbug!
2020 BMW 520d MSport Touring My Daily
2017 Dacia Logan MCV 1.5DCi Laureate Wifes
1996 Land Rover Defender 90 County SW 300TDi My Toy
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220 3.0 V6 My Other Toy
STALLED
The moderator down under

Re: Winter is annoying me!

Post by STALLED »

1997 406 D8 ST Manual 2.0L!

Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Musssssttt nnnnnnotttt click linkkkkkkkkk :supafrisk:

Bailes I quite like the cold in fact I'll be seen outside cleaning my car wearing a T-Shirt and jeans where anyone walking past is wrapped up with scarves, gloves and hats :o when we get heavy snow me and my lad always go for a walk in it, especially at night where the ambient lighting is enhanced by the snow and the peaceful atmosphere is only broken by the crunch of snow underfoot (f*ck me I should write books :cheesy: ).

Unfortunately the last couple of years I've been getting a touch of Raynaud's Syndrome which affects the blood supply to my fingers and is really *really* pissing me off because it spoils my enjoyment of winter weather.

Similarly though I'm equally happy getting toasted under the Summer sun :D

Be patient though, you've still got Jan and Feb ready to throw whatever they have at you, why haven't you gone for Winter Steelies seeing as you do so much travelling?
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
davew
2.0 16v

Post by davew »

i hate the cold people i work with are always laughing at my saying my thermostat is bust i probably only wear a tee shirt for a few months of the year i should probably live somewhere warmer, if the weather gets really hot and people are sweating i'm just comfortable, i even felt cold in bed last night and i have a 15tog feather duvet.
i hate to think what i will be like when i'm old :lol:
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

I too love the cold crispy weather, love fresh snow, also love warm, dry weather. I hate this grey, muggy, drizzle and mild temperatures that we've been having recently. Strangely enough my car was showing 3 deg this morning, I was thinking that's getting more like it! :lol:

Our office is in an old building which can be pretty cold, but the girls here are cold blooded so they've all got fan heaters on as well as the central heating. It's like a bloody furnace in here, I mean properly uncomfortable! Heating on, windows open, great advert for the company that is! Anyone need any Environmental Awareness training? :oops: :lol:
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
Welly

Post by Welly »

Sitting doing sedentary-type work then you will need the temperature to be at least 23 deg C otherwise you will start feeling cold. Receptionists are notoriously difficult to please (in more ways than one :roll: ) as you need to heat THEM but not the open space, typically you will find electric heaters behind their desks.

My office is small and very toasty, people come in (unless they're robbing me) and say it's bloody hot (too hot) but it's right for me as I like to wear a vest and pants only.
Cars in my care:
Captain Jack
3.0 24v

Post by Captain Jack »

Oooh, weather moan thread!

I hate British climate. It has no seasons and if I went outside now, I wouldn't have a clue what month it was. I was wearing a coat in June, because it was 8 degrees and I am not now in the middle of December because it's 13.

I want clear cut seasons like the rest of the northern hemisphere. Hot, dry summers and crispy cold, *snowy* winters. Only, you can't have snow because this country grinds to a halt :roll: and if it goes above 20 in the summer, everyone moans that it's "too hot".

I always have a heater under my desk, because I am always cold (there's an oil filled one in my home office as it's cheaper to heat me than the whole house as well as a convection one in my work office). But I blame that on bad blood circulation...
2003 - 2008: 1998 Peugeot 406 2.1 TD 110bhp LX Saloon
2008 - 2009: 2004 Honda Accord 2.2 CDTI 136bhp Executive Saloon
2009 - 2013: 2002 Peugeot 406 2.0 HDI 110bhp Executive Saloon
2013 - 2021: 2007 Peugeot 407 2.2 HDI 170bhp Executive Saloon (mapped to 213bhp :twisted:)
2021 - ????: 2016 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi 180bhp Titanium
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

It's usually 22-24 in here, it's what the wife's used to and I guess it lessens the difference between summer and winter, plus she spends a lot of time teaching so the only physical activity is shouting... The first couple of winters I was wandering about in shorts and t-shirt but I've kind of got used to it now.

Oooh, I can't wait for the ice, the snow, freezing rain, digging the yoyo out of the snow. Oh yes :roll:
Welly wrote:Unfortunately the last couple of years I've been getting a touch of Raynaud's Syndrome which affects the blood supply to my fingers
Sorry to hear that mate :( Umm...
Welly wrote:I quite like the cold in fact I'll be seen outside cleaning my car wearing a T-Shirt and jeans where anyone walking past is wrapped up with scarves, gloves and hats :o
How or cold water? I'm thinking hot is probably worse...

Got any gloves? Actually, I was out chopping wood half an hour ago and I started loosing the feeling in the fingers of my left hand, I know that's just bad circulation though.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Welly

Post by Welly »

Warm water's nice it seems to open up the vessels and my fingers look 'human' again, when this thing kicks off the fingers go numb and go colourless (like a dead body) it looks horrid to be honest. I've tried a few types of glove but the hand must be warm before wearing them otherwise the glove makes them stay cold.
Cars in my care:
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

I was wondering of the hot/cold/hot/cold thing would aggravate your problems. I had a quick Google for Raynaud's and saw some pictures - it looks like frostbite! :shock:

I understand about the gloves, they'll keep the warm in but if there's no warm to start off with... You can get heated gloves for the bike, I'm sure there'll be battery powered ones (so you don't have to carry a motorcycle battery about...)

Would washing the car wearing Marigolds help? I know you'll look like a puff but does it matter what anyone thinks if it stops your fingers from trying to fall off?

Welly

Post by Welly »

I've got a never-ending box of surgeons gloves I wear when cleaning the car, Bailes told me that touching my clearcoat with actual finger tips could scratch the surface, I probably look a bit strange emerging from the Garage wearing surgical gloves but.....

I've not had the blue fingers yet (I'll sh*t myself then) but those white ones you saw are bang on; dead man's hand :frown:

I'm due at the quacks soon for an MOT so I'll mention it to them, although there's generally naff all treatment other than to wait for the Summer :roll:
Cars in my care:
scotty73
3.0 24v

Post by scotty73 »

My mother has had it for a good few years now, at times she just don't know what to do with herself... She loves the summer she can always be found in the garden moving her chair following the sun but it still seems to affect her in warm weather... In the winter she's had it and even something as simple as watching her grand kids play rugby on a Sunday morning for half hour is a scary thought for her.

I just tell her to get in doors by the warm oven where she belongs. :lol:

@Sam, You whinge in summer and now winter there's just no please in you... Are you sure you don't have a minge down there?... Que: South Wales lad in cross dressing shocker article. :wink:
2000 W 2.0hdi 110 7 seat estate Blue.

And this glue is for my submarine not for putting up you're f*c*ing noses, and dont think i dont notice cos i do... Buy your own f*c*ing glue!!! Fatty Lewis Twin town 1997.
STALLED
The moderator down under

Post by STALLED »

South Wales...

More like New South Wales! Inland of the state is in excess of 40 degrees at the moment. Nice dry heat. Then again, I'm used to wearing thick jeans and steel capped boots when working in the field - they help against the snakes!

When I was in Euroland 3 years back - the winter was amazing. I miss Switzerland :(
1997 406 D8 ST Manual 2.0L!

Bailes1992

Post by Bailes1992 »

I never moan about the cold. Just the heat!

If your cold you can stick a coat on or go for a run. If your hot there aint much you can do! :roll:

Been a bit better today. 3°c when I woke up and about 7°c when I got home.
I think there might be a chance I'll have to scrape the windows tommorow :cheesy:
2020 BMW 520d MSport Touring My Daily
2017 Dacia Logan MCV 1.5DCi Laureate Wifes
1996 Land Rover Defender 90 County SW 300TDi My Toy
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220 3.0 V6 My Other Toy
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Yay! You'll soon be sliding about on black ice because the local council sold all the gritting lorries off to pay for their last pay rise :roll:

It's been permafrost here since Friday, I went out yesterday with a rake to fill in a big hole the retards dug in the gravel but it soon became apparent what I really needed was a pick axe :(