Bloody computers!

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

Bailes1992

Bloody computers!

Post by Bailes1992 »

I spent much of my teenage years being a bit of an IT geek, then I spent 2 years in college studying IT. Therefore I'm generally the person everyone goes too when they have issues.
Being the family 'IT Nerd' gets very annoying to say the least.

I always have the same conversations with everyone.

"Why do you need to take the laptop back with you?"
"Why do you need to wipe everything off of it?"
"Why can't you just pop around and fix it? It'll only take 10mins surley."
"What do you mean I have downloaded something thats contained a virus?"
"I always thought torrents were safe"
"I don't know how I installed all those toolbars?"
"Why can't you back up my PC now it's knackered and full of viruses?"

So why have I decided to write this thread?

I'm sick and tired of people expecting me to sort out their computer problems at a drop of a hat!
I have never had to restore one of my own computers because of something I have done. I look after my machine, why can't anyone else?
People act like it's MY fault when their computers go wrong and they insist that I fix it right away in 10 minutes and not loose any of their data.

Story one...
Two weeks ago my Sister came home from University. She was bragging that the night before her friend showed her how to watch a film for free and told me how they spent hours and hours watching films!
About half an hour after she told me she realized that she had a keylogger on her system somewhere. This had been used to gain access to her email address where thousands of spam emails were sent. Unfortunately she didn't know the answer to any of the security questions and felt the need to scream at me because she had lost her email address as if I was the one who lost it.
She then shouted at me when I told her that she couldn't just make a new email address and keep her laptop the way it was because the keylogger is still on there. And I even got it in the neck a 3rd time when I stopped her trying to buy a pair of shoes.

Story two...
So just before the story above my Sister got a brand new Lenovo laptop. As a result she donated her old one to my Dad who up till now has only had his works laptop.
I formatted said laptop, installed a fresh copy of XP Professional (As that's what he's used to) and installed a good anti virus and some basic programs like Microsoft office etc.
He started using it Monday evening. Tonight there is all sorts of dodgey websites flashing up all the time, funny popups, adverts etc.
I have a nose through his history and found him trying to download free ringtones. :evil:
Now I'm getting nagged to fix it as he suddenly needs it urgently! He managed perfectly well without it till Monday.

Story three...
So my Mother has a netbook, it's about 3 years old and has been superb. It's been everywhere, takes a beating and gets used 24/7.
My Sister linked her to free movies! Guess what I've just spent this evening doing? :roll:

Story four...
So after story one I formated my Sisters laptop, put OpenOffice on it and a decent anti virus program and told her if she needs anything else she will have to sort it out.
She phoned me up a few hours ago to tell me she downloaded more free anti virus programs, she torrented Microsoft office (Because open office looks basic :?) and now the laptop won't load past the log in screen. I must immediately drive to Cardiff and come and fix it. :roll:

And that's just my Mum, Dad and my Sister. I havent included phone calls I get off my Aunties, Uncles, Nan, Gramps etc etc. :evil:
2020 BMW 520d MSport Touring My Daily
2017 Dacia Logan MCV 1.5DCi Laureate Wifes
1996 Land Rover Defender 90 County SW 300TDi My Toy
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220 3.0 V6 My Other Toy
dave406
2.0 Turbo

Re: Bloody computers!

Post by dave406 »

Feel your pain dude. I even get bothered at work!
(02) 406 2.0 HDi GTX Estate AUTO AC+SN in Delft Blue aka Rhodes Blue
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

As far as I can tell anything supposed to be 'free' as a download usually comes with a load of 'free' trouble too and you're best to steer clear.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
Bailes1992

Post by Bailes1992 »

There's loads of free software available online!
Yes some are bulked up with third party software but all of the decent stuff gives you the option to opt out!
2020 BMW 520d MSport Touring My Daily
2017 Dacia Logan MCV 1.5DCi Laureate Wifes
1996 Land Rover Defender 90 County SW 300TDi My Toy
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220 3.0 V6 My Other Toy
Captain Jack
3.0 24v

Post by Captain Jack »

Same with my parents - their laptops get so much crap on them in no time. Tool bars, odd redirects from one page to the next, urgh. I've NO idea what they do on them.... I gave up going over there for the fear of being summoned to laptop stuff.

Now, the in-laws are asking me about extending the BT Hub's wireless range since there are a ton of null zones around their house where they get no signal from it...
2003 - 2008: 1998 Peugeot 406 2.1 TD 110bhp LX Saloon
2008 - 2009: 2004 Honda Accord 2.2 CDTI 136bhp Executive Saloon
2009 - 2013: 2002 Peugeot 406 2.0 HDI 110bhp Executive Saloon
2013 - 2021: 2007 Peugeot 407 2.2 HDI 170bhp Executive Saloon (mapped to 213bhp :twisted:)
2021 - ????: 2016 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi 180bhp Titanium
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

I kinda compare the internet to the streetz.....stick to the nice popular areas and don't wander off into the dodgy areas cos you'll get lost and end up in trouble :(
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
scotty73
3.0 24v

Post by scotty73 »

Welly wrote:.stick to the nice popular areas and don't wander off into the dodgy areas cos you'll get lost and end up in trouble :(
Or caught with your pants down... :supafrisk:
2000 W 2.0hdi 110 7 seat estate Blue.

And this glue is for my submarine not for putting up you're f*c*ing noses, and dont think i dont notice cos i do... Buy your own f*c*ing glue!!! Fatty Lewis Twin town 1997.
trufflehunt
3.0 24v

Post by trufflehunt »

Bailes1992 wrote:There's loads of free software available online!
Yes some are bulked up with third party software but all of the decent stuff gives you the option to opt out!
I used to think that someone who wasn't very interested in cars was abnormal, when in fact for lots of
people, buying a can of oil really stretches their abilities and knowledge.

Think you have to get out of the geek mentality, and see it as non-technical people see the internet.
Download just about anything on Windows and you can expect to bring down with it, at the very least, a load of stuff
that alters your toolbar, and sets itself up as your default search engine. It's just become a mess .
2006 Toyota Yaris 1.0 T3
1993 Mazda MX5 Mk1 1.6
2000 "W" HDI 110 Executive Saloon (Recycled).
gumby6371
3.0 24v

Post by gumby6371 »

When setting up a friend or family machine with a nice squeaky clean OS, security and the basic utilities I try and keep an image so when it comes back in 2 months time spammed up to the hilt I can just zero write the drive and bang the image back on.

I've also got an old desktop that has a basic 7 install and no t'internet connection, I use it to plug in spammed drives and pull any pics, music or videos off then you can get back 'some' of their data.
1996 1.9 TD LX (Gone but not forgotten)
2003 2.2 HDI SE
V6Exec
3.0 24v

Post by V6Exec »

Clonezilla - by far the most useful bit of free software you will find
Remember - it only takes a few inches of water to drown a 406 don't make the same mistake I made! The V6 Exec is no more.

406 Coupe S HDi

PP2000 clone interface
benczuk
3.0 24v

Post by benczuk »

Interesting, not heard of that, looks good apart from the lack of live imaging.

I use True image at work, the fact you can image while the server is up is a god send as most of mine are in a DC in California. Added to the restore anywhere allowing you to put the image on another (differnt HW) box / VM it is superb. But it does cost a packet :supafrisk:
2002 HDi 2.2 GTX Estate de-fapped
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

I have the same problem, i did A level ICT at school and went to uni back in 2009 to do Computer science, i hated it and dropped out after 2 months. Still most of my relatives ring me with computer questions.
Most of the time its to do with the computer being too slow, or they have picked up one of those browser redirect toolbars and can't get to the webpage they want.
What really annoys me about windows computers is that they always need to update, or install something, there is always a progress bar with a slow moving line saying please wait, most of the time fixing them is spent sitting waiting.

I think using a mac has made me a bit impatient with computers, all the messing about with anti virus and installing updates isn't there, just turn on the computer and use it.
robb
2.0 Turbo

Post by robb »

I,m afraid I am one of those people that cannot grasp technology quickly so my Son in Law and Grandkids are in the same boat as you .If they see me coming up their path with my laptop they all disappear into their bedrooms :lol:
1997 406 2.0 petrol estate lx..D8.............OH dear where does this nut go?
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

I'm a bit fortunate with computers, I have 2 sons who both have degrees in computer science.
One is a Senior Web Developer and the other is a consultant who builds websites and stuff for major clients in Sweden where he lives.
Any problems I have they usually help over the internet.I try not to bug them too much, but it's my advice they need about cars, so it works both ways.

I have issues with neighbours calling round asking about their cars, sometimes at inconvenient times, and of course my home number is my business number, so that gets to be a pain at times, especially when you get a call at 10pm on a saturday night asking for me to go out and start their car or something.
trufflehunt
3.0 24v

Post by trufflehunt »

FarmerPug wrote:
I think using a mac has made me a bit impatient with computers, all the messing about with anti virus and installing updates isn't there, just turn on the computer and use it.
You got it. My last laptop was an old £100 Apple iBook. No need for all the anti-virus stuff. It just worked.
Ran it 2 years before I spilt coffee all over the keyboard, like I've done on 2 others... :frown:

Returned to a Windows laptop, duh... we all make mistakes.

I'm long out of the computer industry, but I used to be a freelance programmer, and worked all over the place.
I had a personal firewall installed. It was called 9.30am to 5.30pm. Outside of those hours I never discussed computers.
Unless, of course it was chargeable.
2006 Toyota Yaris 1.0 T3
1993 Mazda MX5 Mk1 1.6
2000 "W" HDI 110 Executive Saloon (Recycled).