Bought a 106

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Bought a 106

Post by FarmerPug »

I bought a 106 off copart during the week, my cousin has the copart account and bid £200 on it for me, i won the bid and the final price is £273 i will end up getting it on monday.

Its a 2002 1.1 Independence in light blue, with 45000 miles and it looks very clean, (where it hasn't been hit)
It seems to have took a knock to the passenger side, the wing, bumper and possibly bonnet are going to need replacement but it should tidy up ok, i can get most of the parts reasonably cheaply either from ebay, or the local brakers yard.

Ive never had a petrol peugeot before what are the TU engines like, looking at the engine bay it seems like something that can be worked on unlike the horrible sight that greets you with a clios engine bay.
jasper5
3.0 24v

Re: Bought a 106

Post by jasper5 »

Very good engine in the 106 petrol.
At that mileage it will be needing a cambelt soonish....very easy job!

I've never had much of a problem with these over the years...oil leaks from cam cover...the bolts/nuts come loose...bad oil leak from front of engine is head gasket..again, simple job.
Water leak from back of manifold where a metal pipe corrodes...not that common though.
Problems with the single point injection models with emissions, I think yours will be multipoint.

Overall, a nice little car :D
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

I would have liked to have got a diesel, my mum had one a number of years ago, it was a properly clattery old school diesel but it was superbly economical and fairly responsive. The only thing was the head gasket went and despite being skimmed it was starting to loose water by the time it was sold.
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

The solution with the diesels when the head gasket fails....as they all do sooner or later...is to use lots of silicon sealer on both sides of the head gasket.
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

the 106 is a brilliant little pug, they hold the value'well,

Tu' engines are good, 25 mins to do a cambelt change, easy to work on,
Quinny
2.0 16v

Post by Quinny »

If it's the 1124cc, I raced an AX in Autograss Class 4, and we used to run flat out in 2nd gear for anything up to 8 laps, and the engine was virtually indestructible. I ran it for 2 1/2 years, without putting a spanner on it, other than fluid changes, and a set of downdraught Webers off an MG Maestro complete with manifold. (Bolted straight on without ANY modification.) Try finding a set now.

It did eventually start to smoke, but let's be honest, it had had some stick. It also netted me my clubs Class 4 championship for 2 years.
Last edited by Quinny on Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1999 V 406 HDi sold in 2011
2002 02 plate 406 HDi 110 bought 16/11/2013
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

We had a TU engine in our Citroen AX and it took a royal beating in terms of neglect, we were given the car for nothing and ran it for two years without lifting the bonnet....when I did finally treated it to an oil change the old stuff came out like jelly :shock: but the engine was still happy - seems they were made with a bit of tolerance in mind for neglect and city punishment.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

I got the 106 today, in addition to the £73 fees there was another £20 fee because i was late at picking it up, it took £40 to bring it home. All in about £340

As it was loaded on with a forklift i didn't have a test drive, when i got it home it couldn't drive off the trailer because the driveshaft on the passenger side is smashed and sitting in the boot. Anyhow being a 106 it was easy to push off the trailer and park up, here it is:

(there are a load of places where someone has tried to paint it with the wrong colour of paint, as well as dents scuffs and scratches)
(there is the old driveshaft)
(more of that professional respray)
(the damaged wing)

The engine bay is very clean apart from a bit of rust on the rocker cover:
The oil doesn't look great, quite mayonasey but then its sat for a while, the clio was the same, the coolant seems fine and the engine runs great

So what i need to get for it seems to be:
- new driveshaft
- probably track rod ends, wishbone, strut
- passenger side wing
- passenger side headlight
- front bumper
- the bonnet?
- Most likely front drop links as it is a peugeot
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

Look's like a good buy, it's the sort of thing I'm after for the wife :wink: ,
If it were me I'd take the rocker cover off & give it a through clean out & run some Forte engine flush before a oil change :)
Best of luck with it DDD.
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
Quinny
2.0 16v

Post by Quinny »

Shame it's injection. A nice set of carbs would fit lovely in the back of the engine bay.
1999 V 406 HDi sold in 2011
2002 02 plate 406 HDi 110 bought 16/11/2013
Welly

Post by Welly »

Looks alright, and with half a tank of juice too!

That custard in the rocker cover is probably the result of many short journeys, those engine's seem to recover well from just a basic service.

It was a bit boring of them to throw that greasy drive shaft onto the boot carpet though :(
Cars in my care:
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

You think it would've been better to shove it on the passenger seat? :shock:
FarmerPug wrote:As it was loaded on with a forklift
Erk :? Well, at least they didn't stuff it through the windows and lift it by the roof...
FarmerPug wrote:i didn't have a test drive
I can't imagine it would have been much of a drive with a missing driveshaft :cheesy: You could've sat in it and revved the engine I guess. The bonnet looks ok in the pics, although it's hard to tell if it's sproinked from just the pics. Leave it until you have a straight wing on and then see?
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Welly

Post by Welly »

steve_earwig wrote:You think it would've been better to shove it on the passenger seat? :shock:
In a box or plastic bag, anything other than lobbing it in the boot; I don't suppose they care much though.

Those places all seem to scoop up the cars with fork lifts, I'd go nuts if someone did that to my car.

Farmer - has the Pug had a little biff on the rear badge? looks a bit dented.
Cars in my care:
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

I put a driveshaft into the car, i got a driveshaft with an abs ring and it looked a bit better made than the original one (my 106 has no abs).
It slid easily into the gearbox, and into the hub. But getting the lower balljoint to go back into the hub was a bit trickier than its been on other cars I've done.
When doing that i had to cut the tie rod end nut, and the tie rod end is sitting back in place with cable ties. A pair of new tie rods will sort that out, and the fact that the wheel on the hit side is turned in a bit.

As for the body, it does have dents in different places, the boot does have a dent round the badge. Ive ordered a bumper, front fog lights, wing and wheel arch liner, they are not an exact colour match but if it gets through its mot ill consider painting it.
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

I got gearbox oil, engine oil, oil flush, oil filter, and the two drop links for the 106 and put all in for £19. The steering needs set right, but it is driving albeit pulling to the right a lot.

The wing and bumper came off, the wing was a bit tricky as the front bracket it mounts to had bent in the crash, but a bit of time got it off, even the bracket went back into shape with a bit of heat and a few taps of the hammer, the bonnet closes perfectly with the wing off.
The new bumper arrived but no wing, and the wing seems to go on before the bumper so there is no point in trying to get it on without the wing.

Its coming along nicely, but unfortunately some time before i arrived out to the farm one of the chaps who works for my uncle pushed the 106 with the forklift, i.e. pushed it sideways and did so without even lifting it up, this has left a big kink in the drivers door which I was absolutely livid about.
There was no reason for it to have been pushed in this way the keys were in it and it could have been drove out of the way.