MoT fail

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

scotty73
3.0 24v

Re: MoT fail

Post by scotty73 »

KozmoNaut wrote:Was it waxoyled or treated with any other anti-rust product it its life? I would think it really pays off considering the sills in particular seem like such a weak spot.

Oh yeah, and keeping the drains clear and the rubber molding clips in place, obviously :-)
In my 2 1/2 years ownership no and for the other 11 1/2 years of it's life I have no idea... I don't think it corroded from the inside though it was dry in there even though the weather had been shite when i noticed it.
2000 W 2.0hdi 110 7 seat estate Blue.

And this glue is for my submarine not for putting up you're f*c*ing noses, and dont think i dont notice cos i do... Buy your own f*c*ing glue!!! Fatty Lewis Twin town 1997.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

In the original pic is the flange flattened forward of the rust?

Originally the sills are (something like) cold galvanised. Or something. Anyway, all it takes is for the paint to get damaged enough to let the elements get to it. Maybe the flange got a bit mangled on a kerb once, then it was straightened out without though to rustproofing.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
scotty73
3.0 24v

Post by scotty73 »

steve_earwig wrote:In the original pic is the flange flattened forward of the rust?

Originally the sills are (something like) cold galvanised. Or something. Anyway, all it takes is for the paint to get damaged enough to let the elements get to it. Maybe the flange got a bit mangled on a kerb once, then it was straightened out without though to rustproofing.
Do you mean the bottom of the sill where the original weld would be?

And this glue is for my submarine not for putting up you're f*c*ing noses, and dont think i dont notice cos i do... Buy your own f*c*ing glue!!! Fatty Lewis Twin town 1997.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Yes, the bit along the bottom where all 3 panels are spot welded.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
scotty73
3.0 24v

Post by scotty73 »

The paint bubbled off just below the door pillar, could have been scratched or even stone chipped and over time the water seeped in creating rush that gradually eat away...It started with a key hole then pressing gently i could feel in crumbling so took it to a mate who ground the paint off revealing a bigger issue.... It's done now though and looks good enough to me it's a work horse not a show car :lol:

£20 weld...Blagged filler and primer...£4 for rust proofer that I painted all over it £13 for a can of spray paint and some clear lacquer from Buyology £1.99 I think and jobs a good un and on to the next set of problems. :roll:

Quinny
2.0 16v

Post by Quinny »

PeterN wrote:I have yet to find a 406 with a decent handbrake. When I bought mine I fitted new discs/drums, new shoes and pads and new cables and its still not much good. If I adjust the shoes immediately before the MOT it passes but doesn't last long.

Peter
I agree.

My previous 406 was terrible, and today my latest one failed with a 3% reading. :shock:

It was the only failure on the test.
1999 V 406 HDi sold in 2011
2002 02 plate 406 HDi 110 bought 16/11/2013
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

I have obtained two more 406's for friends and those handbrakes are pretty useless to. As I said I have replaced everything on mine and made sure the cables were adjusted correctly but still little success. But they are such a nice car in all other respects - I will forgive them that.

Peter
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

I've never had a problem with 406 handbrakes...once they are adjusted correctly they work just as well as any other handbrake on any other car!

My first 406 had a superb handbrake on 4 clicks....my present estate has a perfect handbrake on 4 clicks.
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

How long do you find they stay adjusted correctly?
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

On my first 406 the handbrake worked perfectly between services (10,000 miles) and only needed adjusting as normal for the mileage.
My present estate was adjusted shortly after I got it last september...no, it didn't work properly when I got it even though several new parts had been fitted including a caliper, discs and shoes!
Correct adjustment sorted it....it has worked fine since and is still perfect today!
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

How do you define 'correct adjustment?
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

PeterN wrote:How do you define 'correct adjustment?

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13956
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Scotty that's a decent-looking rattle can repair if I may say so.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

jasper5 wrote:
PeterN wrote:How do you define 'correct adjustment?

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13956
Thanks for that. That's pretty well what I did except for the adjustment on the handbrake lever, I will give it a try.

Peter
scotty73
3.0 24v

Post by scotty73 »

Welly wrote:Scotty that's a decent-looking rattle can repair if I may say so.
Don't look bad does it. :cheesy: ...Watch it all flake off next time i wash it. :lol: