why women carnt fix cars? (18+ !.. NSFW)

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

markw
2.0 Turbo

Re: why women carnt fix cars?

Post by markw »

^^^^^^
2001 ES9J4S Coupe Manual Diablo
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
KozmoNaut
2.0 Turbo

Post by KozmoNaut »

Welly wrote: No, I was just saying that everything was going along quite nicely until you posted, and not for the first time, search back through your posts (like I did) to verify how many times you've launched your attacks on other members and you'll see.

If you'd like all members to conform to your ideals then you'll have a very long wait here.
Attacks? Aren't you being just a bit over-dramatic here?

The only things I've "attacked" have been common misconceptions that far too many otherwise very technically-minded people erroneously continue to cling to, such as very short oil change intervals, de-fapping, de-EGRing and that sort of thing. I have not once "attacked" a member of this site, and I would very much like you to retract that blatantly false accusation.

Thank you. Sir.
2000 406 TS4 2.2 saloon
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

Deriding short oil change intervals when overly long ones are quite obviously leading to turbo failures and other problems is attacking me.

Peter
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

Ah bloomin ek,

sorry if iofended anyone. iwont post anything in future,
KozmoNaut
2.0 Turbo

Post by KozmoNaut »

PeterN wrote:Deriding short oil change intervals when overly long ones are quite obviously leading to turbo failures and other problems is attacking me.

Peter
Suck it up, no one's ever had a premature turbo failure on a 406 while following the oil type and change interval specified in the handbook, unless they either insist on romping on it everyday without letting it warm it up at all, or try to warm it up on cold days by idling for ages. And no frequent oil change will save you from that kind of abuse.

My extended family and I have had multiple turbodiesel cars over the years, most of them racking up more than 300.000km on the original turbos. The only exception was a Fiat Panda Multijet which needed a refurb turbo at 80.000km, but that car was driven almost exclusively on short around-town trips, never getting up to operating temperature. And being a 70hp lump, it needed to work a little harder to keep up with traffic.
2000 406 TS4 2.2 saloon
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

I'm not talking specifically about 406s I agree the turbo's dont fail in them, but there are hundreds if not thousands have failed in the 1.6 Hdi engine both in Citroens and Fords. The oil change intervals specified are far to long and the sump to small.

I have been running diesels since 1959 and I have never had a turbo fail although the early ones didn't have them but the oil change intervals were 2,000 miles with the early Perkins engines and subsequently 6,000 although I used to change mine at 5k, it was easier to remember. I also have had diesels XMs with 300k on them and original turbos but we are talking about modern engines.

Peter
teamster1975
Site Admin & Mad Biker!

Post by teamster1975 »

lozz wrote:Ah bloomin ek,

sorry if iofended anyone. iwont post anything in future,
It wasn't you Lozz, don't worry chap. We can all appreciate a pair of improvised axle stands!
1996 406 1.8LX Got a bad case of hydro lock!
1996 406 Executive 2.0 Turbo XU10J2TE No longer hangin' on in there :(
1997 Honda CB500V
2003 Volvo V40 1.8 GDi SE killed by a nutter in a beemer 5 series
2008 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Titanium X

"Always look on the bright side of life, dedo, dedo dedodedo"
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

:arrowu: :arrowu: wot he said, stick around lozz!
teamster1975 wrote:We can all appreciate a pair of improvised axle stands!
Nice :lol: :lol: :lol:

lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

oh..ok then :cheesy:

Btw wheres puggy? not seen him on here for ages.

enjoy the (NSFW) pic..
Attachments
310.jpg
(104.13 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
teamster1975
Site Admin & Mad Biker!

Post by teamster1975 »

:arrowu: :arrowu: :cheesy:
1996 406 1.8LX Got a bad case of hydro lock!
1996 406 Executive 2.0 Turbo XU10J2TE No longer hangin' on in there :(
1997 Honda CB500V
2003 Volvo V40 1.8 GDi SE killed by a nutter in a beemer 5 series
2008 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Titanium X

"Always look on the bright side of life, dedo, dedo dedodedo"
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

That should do it. :arrowu:
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
KozmoNaut
2.0 Turbo

Post by KozmoNaut »

PeterN wrote:I'm not talking specifically about 406s I agree the turbo's dont fail in them, but there are hundreds if not thousands have failed in the 1.6 Hdi engine both in Citroens and Fords. The oil change intervals specified are far to long and the sump to small.
The 1.6 HDi had (has?) a well-known design flaw. It has nothing to do with long oil change intervals directly or the total amount of oil in it, the real problem is that the original sump design doesn't drain correctly. There's plenty of oil in it, but every oil change leaves the dirtiest nastiest bits in the pan, because the drain isn't at the lowest point, for some unfathomable reason.

Normally, this wouldn't be a problem resulting in catastrophic failure. It would just reduce the service life of the engine/turbo a bit, were it not for another design flaw or oversight. The banjo bolt attaching the turbo oil feed line to the block has a small mesh filter in it. This is to protect the bearings in the turbo from gunk and particles, in order for them to last longer.

The combination of a bad sump design, the filter in the banjo bolt and a fluid-bearing turbo causes the turbo to be starved of oil, and no turbo can survive that for long.

A quick fix is to remove the mesh filter from the banjo bolt. Of course, this causes more gunk and particles to reach the turbo's fluid bearings, but instead of catastrophic failure, you will have plenty of noisy whistling warning before it finally lets go.

The proper solution is to fit a redesigned oil pan that drains properly. Or you could drop the pan and clean it out manually at every oil change. I know which option I prefer :-)
I have been running diesels since 1959 and I have never had a turbo fail although the early ones didn't have them but the oil change intervals were 2,000 miles with the early Perkins engines and subsequently 6,000 although I used to change mine at 5k, it was easier to remember. I also have had diesels XMs with 300k on them and original turbos but we are talking about modern engines.
You have to remember that back in those days, engines were built with much looser tolerances, diesel was far dirtier and engine oil was closer to raw crude oil than the advanced synthetic oils we use today.
2000 406 TS4 2.2 saloon
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Re: why women carnt fix cars? (18+ !.. NSFW)

Post by FarmerPug »

This is quite an interesting case study on a turbo failure on the DV6 engine:
http://www.theturboguy.com/uploads/1/0/ ... es-3-2.pdf

I can remember reading in CM magazine that the engine almost needs to be stripped down and all traces of carbon removed to ensure a new turbo will last, i certainly remember on my cousins 307 that almost every part of the engine had tonnes of carbon sludge inside it.
Its a shame a DV6 has these problems, with a high mileage XUD or DW10/12 there is not really any worries of the engine failing unless its been very badly neglected, but a DV6 with over 70,000 miles is always a bit of a gamble on the used market.
steve_earwig

Re: why women carnt fix cars? (18+ !.. NSFW)

Post by steve_earwig »

FarmerPug wrote:a DV6 with over 70,000 miles is always a bit of a gamble on the used market.
Because Ford :supafrisk: