IT LIVES! IT LIVES! IT LIVES! (Was: The End...?)

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

calvi36
1.8 16v

Re: The End...?

Post by calvi36 »

highlander wrote:That level of kindness is sadly uncommon in this day and age, so I hugely appreciate it - thanks very much!
You are more than welcome Graeme, the kit has sat in my spares box for over a year and a half so you may as well get the use of it.

Enjoy your time with Mark and I hope you learn a lot.

This time 2 years ago I knew nothing about the mechanical side of things but now I can do jobs myself. Hell, I even bought a full socket set, torque set and a trolley jack with axle stands! :shock:
Owned:
3.0 V6 Estate D8- Killed by a drunk driver outside my home!
2.2 HDi Coupe Ariane Blue- Exported and now lives in Germany.
3.0 V6 Coupe D9 Polaris Blue- Sold to another Scotsman.
3.0 V6 Coupe D8 Polaris Blue- Still owned.
3.0 V6 Coupe D9 Pulsar Yellow- Still owned.
407 SW 2.0HDi Executive- Daily wagon, still owned.
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

Just about killed my back this morning - pulled the front wheels off the car, but MY GOD the last lot to have had the wheels off must've used the mother of all windy guns to get 'em on. Reckoned it'd take around an hour to get both front wheels off and the spare onto one side. Took at least twice as long.

Ended up getting up to the tyre place in my son's Focus, just over an hour late for my appointment. Bugger.

... only to find that the new tyres hadn't actually arrived ... Bugger.

... but for some reason, not until after the old tyres had been stripped off the rims ... Bugger.

... they expect them to arrive in-stock on Monday or Tuesday. Bugger. All that work!

My car is currently a tripod - the spare is on the front-right, and the front-left is supported by a 2-tonne axle stand and a 1.5-tonne scissor jack.

I got back home, downed a couple Ibuprofen, and had a lie down.

Am currently ultra-paranoid about the car falling off the axle stand / jack (I left the jack in-situ in case the car shifted), particularly if it gets really windy. I had bought a couple of wheel chocks and stuck them in front of the rear wheels, but I reckon they're useless (they don't seem to offer any resistance at all). And I left the car in gear, and the handbrake (such as it is) on.
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

That sounds like one of my productive* days on my car.....
Axle stands are safe enough, I've had cars on them so long they sink into the tarmac :roll:
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
calvi36
1.8 16v

Post by calvi36 »

Quite an amusing post Graeme!

You really need to get a breaker bar for when the nuts are seized, you should also grease the wheel nuts with copper grease but I am sure our friend will do that when he sorts your car out.

Breaker bar on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110820635617? ... EBIDX%3AIT it will save you a lot of time and grief.
Owned:
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

I do have quite a long tool. It gets longer when I pull on it. I can then use it to get my nuts off. I was still at it all morning, and it's still very hard.

(this post may or may not cause Puggy to explode)

Non-dirty translation: I actually already have a telescopic wheel nut tool; I guess you could call it a breaker bar. It was still really difficult to get the wheel nuts to turn, even fully-extended, and with me pushing my whole weight on the end, and it took ages to get the job done.
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Sounds a right old faff about :frown:

At least no-one can pinch your wheels :cheesy:
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
calvi36
1.8 16v

Post by calvi36 »

Some pics of the work in progress would be good Graeme.
Owned:
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

My phone was a step away from death all afternoon, so I didn't grab any photos. Mark got a few though, and posted them on the Coupe Club forum. I'd post 'em here but they're not my photos, and he's not around to ask. I live in a 2-bedroom flat, so I couldn't even put him up for the night, so I'm paying for a B&B for him.

I had to go out and buy a complete set of calipers today; my rears were seized up (rusted to all hell, the pins wouldn't come out (or even budge, at all), the and the brake pipe union at the back of them was completely solid too), and the piston on the fronts was rusty and Mark couldn't get them pushed back down - the sliders were quite worn too. I got a set of brand new Pagid rears from EuroCarParts (Parts for Peugeots! In stock! Practically unheard of here!) and a refurbed pair of something-or-others on the fronts from Reids For Speed (again, parts in stock!)

Mark's words from the other forum:
Both pistons on the Lucas front calipers were seized, although the slider pins were serviceable. Discs badly corroded.
Both rear calipers in a bad way. Pad retaining pins totally seized in position, both slider pins seized rock solid, both brake union nuts seized into caliper body. Discs equally corroded.
Both rear rigid brake pipes from flexi to caliper had to be cut out due to seizure at caliper end. Two new ones were made up while Graeme was out shopping for parts.
Two front to rear brake lines are to be replaced as well...haven't looked at those as yet.

Graeme went out and spent some hard earned on four new calipers. Four new discs, pads and a fitting kit had already been bought.

On the n/s rear, there was a catastrophe about to happen. Someone had been in there before and had replaced the upper handbrake shoe retaining pin with a split pin. No problem with that, except they left the bent and mangled retaining pin inside the drum and it had got attached to the abs sensor (magnetically) and was within a hair's breadth of getting drawn into the reluctor ring. This would have taken out the abs sensor, chewed up some teeth on the abs ring and could have ripped out handbrake shoe fixings with potential locking up of the rear wheel.

New handbrake shoes and fitting kit will be going in as well.
There are two seat heaters to repair and a set of silver internal door release handles to fit while here before returning to Glasgow to complete works there on two other Coupes.
The front wheels should have tyres fitted and be ready for collection on Wednesday, so that'll be good. At the moment, she's up on axle stands. She's staying up there til Mark's had a look at the exhaust and the front-to-rear brake pipes.

I also have bulbs ready to fit, but I don't want to do those til the car's back on terra firma (I'm hugely paranoid about knocking her off the axle stands). And I ordered new front and rear number plates, just to tick that box off the advisories - just need to get them a copy of some ID.

I am very glad I didn't attempt the brake replacements myself, given how many things have gone wrong during the course of events, just getting the old crud-encrusted brakes off. I'd have gotten hugely pissed off and ended up breaking something, crushing myself, or just throwing in the towel and calling out a mobile mechanic (£££) who wouldn't be as clued up on all things Coupe as Mark clearly is.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

I have had the good fortune to have met Mark once or twice, and he is quite possibly one of the nicest men I know - you only have to read all of the positive comments about the wonderful work he does.

Well done for hanging on to the coupe, and yes, if you tackled this yourself I'm sure a hammer or two would have been launched a great distance....... :evil:

Fortunately I am just about confident enough to do the brakes on my car, but if they turn out to be as bad as yours I would throw a hammer or two, then be on the phone to Mark.

P.s. are you gonna get the electrical guru himself to guide you through the 'bulb fitting' process?
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
calvi36
1.8 16v

Post by calvi36 »

I did state that he was worth his weight in gold. Any brakes that he has ever done for me Graeme have never been easy swaps. That is the issue with our cars, people might change pads, few change discs and even fewer change the solid pipes.

You can get your plates from ebay, that is where buy mine and no ID is needed. Perfectly legal so long as the supllier has their post code on the bottom of the plate. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/QUALITY-NUMBE ... 4189fe225b

One thing I will state is that you should not scrimp on any safety system parts, especially the brakes.
Owned:
calvi36
1.8 16v

Post by calvi36 »

Owned:
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

I'm shocked that someone is prepared to travel to you and be put up in a B&B to work on any car, what dedication and obviously a flipping nice bloke. Very rare these days.

Highlander I wonder if the wheels themselves are exposing the calipers to more corrosion?
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

The man's a god-send!

The calipers have always looked shabby since I had the car, but I've never had a car new enough to have shiny calipers. They've always looked like iron cannon parts salvaged from the Mary Rose or something.
jonsowman
3.0 24v

Post by jonsowman »

highlander wrote:The man's a god-send!
+1

Looks like things are going well, good luck with it. Not that you need luck if Mark's on hand 8)
2002 V6 SE Coupé (210bhp) - (Aegean Blue)
2002 D9 2.2 HDi Exec Estate - Samarkand Blue
PM me for PP2000 diagnostics around Surrey
Captain Jack
3.0 24v

Post by Captain Jack »

Interesting thread. The brakes, and especially the shoes, on my 406 were a PITA to change. The ones on the 407 are so much easier to work on and looks like someone actually thought about the design there.
2003 - 2008: 1998 Peugeot 406 2.1 TD 110bhp LX Saloon
2008 - 2009: 2004 Honda Accord 2.2 CDTI 136bhp Executive Saloon
2009 - 2013: 2002 Peugeot 406 2.0 HDI 110bhp Executive Saloon
2013 - 2021: 2007 Peugeot 407 2.2 HDI 170bhp Executive Saloon (mapped to 213bhp :twisted:)
2021 - ????: 2016 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi 180bhp Titanium