B&Q closing 60 stores

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

B&Q closing 60 stores

Post by Welly »

They say that people aren't buying DIY stuff for their houses as much these days? what do you think?

Seems that the owners of B&Q also own Screwfix who would operate at much lower overheads. I do think B&Q are guilty of over-charging for sundry items like screws and nails and moreover the cost of their Timber is very high for some reason so maybe they haven't done themselves any favours in recent years. Is this another sign of Internet shopping killing the high street?

They've had some great offers on emulsion paint in recent months though and I stocked up on it as I'd not seen it that cheap for years.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
Rolebama
2.0 Turbo

Re: B&Q closing 60 stores

Post by Rolebama »

I live in an area where the houses seem to change hands quite frequently. Every new resident seems to have nothing better to do than run hammers and power tools for three months after moving in. It puzzles me why people buy a house in the first place if it does not suit their needs. I look forward to the day when all DIY shops close down.
1998 2.1 GLX TD
Welly

Post by Welly »

I've always done a lot of home improvements because I like to keep the rooms looking clean and modern. Although most of my family will moan and say "what are you doing this time" etc I've always done quite well out of this practice in terms of house value and ease of selling etc. I've already designed our current house to appeal to young Families in the future so when we sell up we should do quite well out of it.
Cars in my care:
Uberderv
2.0 16v

Post by Uberderv »

I can / would decorate etc a lot more but I'm in a rented property with no plans to buy. I do use B&Q, Screwfix, tool station etc.... For other 'things' that I'm tinkering with. I've always found B&Q overpriced and staff unhelpful. I also like to look at things to mentally plan the job. Screwfix and Tool station have a catalogue but with B&Q its the luck of the draw.
benczuk
3.0 24v

Post by benczuk »

Uberderv wrote:Screwfix and Tool station have a catalogue but with B&Q its the luck of the draw.
Pick up one of their "trade point" catalogs

They are overpriced on a lot of sundries, but very useful when you need something in a fix, and still cheaper than paying someone else to do the job.
2002 HDi 2.2 GTX Estate de-fapped
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

I always used to get my building supplies from Wickes, they were the cheapest until Toolstation started up, they are not only cheaper but will deliver the next day for free any order over £10.00. I get practically everything from them now. The only things I have to source elswhere are timber and bricks/blocks but there are many special offers on ebay so usually get them there.

B&Q were always a bit on the expensive side, combined with the fact that not so many people are into DIY now it seems inevitable that something has to give.

Peter
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Funny enough I was thinking about Wickes only yesterday, when I was with Max buying some timber for him to make fly screens and I pulled out a piece of 2.4m x 20mm x 20mm shaped like a banana...

I used to live just over the road from the big B&Q in Ponder's End, quite nice for popping over and looking about even if I didn't actually need anything.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Welly

Post by Welly »

I hadn't thought about the effect of renting a property, after coughing up so much rent you're unlikely to want to paint the place :frown:
Cars in my care:
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

I painted the flat I rented (off of BT) in Ponder's, mainly because it was disgusting.

Obviously you never get anything back for doing it, it just improves your surroundings. You should really ask whoever you're renting from first, and spend as little as possible...
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Uberderv
2.0 16v

Post by Uberderv »

Welly wrote:I hadn't thought about the effect of renting a property, after coughing up so much rent you're unlikely to want to paint the place :frown:
Happy to paint it but anything else goes to the landlord. :)