A new project that definitely isn't beige

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

jonsowman
3.0 24v

A new project that definitely isn't beige

Post by jonsowman »

Well, summer is coming and the urge to tinker with cars getting stronger. And the HDi has been super reliable, so I decided to pick up something else as a project. I'd been to see a chap on the Coupe forum with PP2000, and made him an offer for the car if he wanted to sell it. Picked it up last night (on a flatbed).

The fault was described as it idling fine, and then just suddenly stopped. The heater matrix union had leaked and hot coolant/steam filled the cabin, which has (I suspect) killed the BSI. In the ON position, no lights come up on the dash except the battery light. The car turns over but won't fire, as if immobilised. On PP2000, every ECU complains about "no comms with BSI".

Otherwise the car is in unbelievable condition. Done about 80k with full main dealer (!) service history. Cambelt done etc. It has been astonishingly well looked after.

So current list of stuff to do. 1 & 2 are the priority so it can have its MOT and be back on the road 8)

1) Get it running again! New BSI/ECU/key on order from the saviour that is Ade. : 8)
2) Fix the leak. It's been tightened but still weeping. Will replace the O-ring and everything to make sure it's totally water tight.
3) Wiper stalk end has been knocked off. Might mean a new COM 2000 but I'm hoping not. Will try and disassemble and fix...
4) Bonnet/boot gas struts
5) Spoiler boot mounts need restoring
6) Large "no it isn't beige" sign in the rear window :wink:

Pictures etc

I like to call this look the "superleggera" :cheesy:

The offending joint

2002 V6 SE Coupé (210bhp) - (Aegean Blue)
2002 D9 2.2 HDi Exec Estate - Samarkand Blue
PM me for PP2000 diagnostics around Surrey
lozz
3.0 24v

Re: A new project that definitely isn't beige

Post by lozz »

Nice motor,:)
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Looks really smart Jon. :mrgreen:

I shall watch progress with interest. It would also be intertesting to have a look a the 'dead' BSI for future reference, (swapping relays etc.).

What colour is it BTW?
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
jonsowman
3.0 24v

Post by jonsowman »

"Solstice Gold" technically. It does look better in the flesh than in pictures I think. :D

I shall indeed be disassembling the old BSI. This is the full-mux BSI by Valeo, which doesn't have the wiper relays that caused so many issues in the semi-mux Siemens BSI units. I haven't often heard of Valeo BSIs failing, save by water ingress etc.

Forgot to say, she's a 3.0 V6 ES9J4S, SE spec, with Brembos. Only nonstandard thing is the Starfish wheels.
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

Nice Jon, beige is it?

I still fancy a coupe... :supafrisk:
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

That's hearing aid Beige if I'm not mistaken :cheesy:

One thing to possibly bear in mind is that some cars pop their heater matrix connections when the coolant over-pressures, I hope that's not what happened here but it might be worth verifying the cooling system before spending too much lolly elsewhere. Unfortunately having a Main Dealer full history is something to be wary of in my mind.

I do hope you get it running well and enjoy it, keep us posted.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
jonsowman
3.0 24v

Post by jonsowman »

DaiRees wrote:Nice Jon, beige is it?
:evil:

:cheesy: :cheesy:
Welly wrote:That's hearing aid Beige if I'm not mistaken :cheesy:

One thing to possibly bear in mind is that some cars pop their heater matrix connections when the coolant over-pressures, I hope that's not what happened here but it might be worth verifying the cooling system before spending too much lolly elsewhere. Unfortunately having a Main Dealer full history is something to be wary of in my mind.
Hearing aid beige indeed! Sadly a very accurate description.

I had considered the head gasket before I went ahead with the purchase. Of course, there's no way of telling, but I decided it was unlikely, due to 1) no "mayonnaise" in the oil/dipstick/coolant, 2) it was only idling when it failed and 3) that heater matrix union is a known weak point. But I will probably take your advice and have a test done once it's back on the road, just to be certain.

Will keep this up to date as progress is made 8)
Welly

Post by Welly »

I think it's unlikely that the HG has failed as they "don't do that sir" but it wouldn't be impossible for the radiator to be full of shiz or the thermostat sticking maybe and leading to too much heat and pressure.
Cars in my care:
jonsowman
3.0 24v

Post by jonsowman »

Interesting thoughts, hadn't considered those. Any recommended way of testing for that? I suppose any blockages in the system would cause temperature regulation to be worse than normal. But are there any other symptoms?

Would the coolant system pressure test (i.e. checking for HG failure) pick up faults like a stuck 'stat or blocked rad?
Welly

Post by Welly »

You can't really 'test' for a blocked radiator you can only really observe the temperature of the cores/hoses. If it was me I'd be flushing the rad out just to see what's in there (if anything) and replacing the thermostat would be a nice bit of maintenance for piece of mind anyway.

This is all supposing that the system over-pressured of course when it might not have done but when coolant connections blow it rings alarm bells to me. Don't forget that although the expansion cap is supposed to blow at a certain pressure sometimes something else can beat it to it.

Anti-freeze is very often neglected and all sorts of weird stuff can build up depending on different mixtures being added or 'additives' etc you simply don't know what's in there and a big 3.0 petrol needs an efficient cooling system for sure.

Hopefully you'll drain/flush it and it'll be fine but you'll need to fix those matrix connections so they don't let go again.
Cars in my care:
jonsowman
3.0 24v

Post by jonsowman »

All good advice. I'll be draining the cooling system completely anyway, so I'll flush the rad at that time. As you say, whilst it's empty I may as well change the 'stat. O-ring seals for the heater matrix are on order too.

steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Wouldn't over pressure blow the cap on the reservoir? Or don't they work like that any more?
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Looks a nice car Jon, the only other @saga' gold I've seen is Womble, who often is around my way....

Its a colour that definitely looks better in person, and the V6 is quite nice I hear... :cheesy:
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
jonsowman
3.0 24v

Post by jonsowman »

We have a runner!

CLICK ME
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

Well done! Engine sounds sweet.

What's with the flashing headlight symbol? Not seen that one before. Problems with the auto lights function? Or were you fiddling with the switch? :cheesy:
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.