Bonnet open; confused neighbour

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Bonnet open; confused neighbour

Post by Welly »

I was checking my car over at the weekend, parked on my drive the bonnet was up and I'd been doing the tyre pressures ready for a long motorway run tomorrow. I checked all fluids and then whilst deep in thought I had my head buried quite well into the engine bay at the bulkhead just kinda looking for anything out of place or whatever when I heard a voice call out...."having trouble?" it said. Took me a second to work out where it came from when I then saw the bloke from a few doors away..... "no, just checking it over, got a long run to do next week, you know.." I said.

"I never look under there, the Garage do all that sort of thing" he said.

"Well you're just a twat then" my brain said but my mouth said "oh right, I've always checked my cars over, wouldn't want to get stuck somewhere you know"

"do you not have breakdown cover?"

:roll:

I'll let you imagine the rest but is this most motorists now? couldn't care less about what goes on under the bonnet? or don't know what they'd need to look at anyway?

I feel sorry for kids who miss out on the oily bits of motoring like this or are manufacturers partly to blame for giving us dipstick-less cars and TP monitoring etc?

Oh and I hope his new Euroshitbox throws the Aux belt today :twisted:
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: Bonnet open; confused neighbour

Post by steve_earwig »

I think for a lot of people now a car is just another disposable bit of metal like a fridge or a telly, and they don't have any interest in it further than being able to brag about how many valves/turbos/horses it has in the bar at lunchtime.

Which reminds me, I still didn't check the tyre pressures on the new yoyo... :supafrisk:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Welly

Post by Welly »

I checked my pressures more because I had the puncture repair last week and this normally means the tyre place does one of two things: inflates tyre to eleven million PSi or under inflates to 24 PSi.

This time it was amazingly spot-on perfect :shock:
Cars in my care:
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

I must admit I don't do much to my car unless its due, we are off to Yorkshire for a few days at the end of the week, I will check to see if an oil change is due but otherwise I will just get in and go - maybe check the tyre pressures.

I am though amazed by peoples attitude to cars now, you see the occasional post saying that 'the oil light came on' :shock: don't they ever check it. :shock:

I have been repairing my own cars since I started driving in the '50s, so did most other people in those days, they couldn't afford to do otherwise, it seems now that most people have so much money they can afford to take their car into the garage for any minor fault, I certainly can't. I'm sure some people would at least have a go if they realised how much it was costing them, it seems that the average repair cost now is about what I pay for a car.

Peter
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

I always mean to check under the bonnet before a long journey or similar, but come to think of it the last time was when I changed the oil about a week before Pugfest. :oops:

I've got to catch a flight at 7am tomorrow, so I definitely mean to check it this evening.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

You're just mean :P :P
PeterN wrote: most people have so much money they can afford to take their car into the garage
and/or so little time.

I think people now "save up" these faults and get them fixed when the car is next serviced (that seems to have been the way on this new yoyo, on most services, along with the oil changes etc. there are a few bulbs changed too, plus an exhaust hanger. Mind you, company car, the driver probably didn't care anyway...). Obviously, faced with a load of niggley little jobs to do, along with the "bread-and-butter" of the service, most of them get forgotten...

When I was in the UK I always used to do all my own stuff too, I only put a car into a garage twice because the cars were so new I didn't have the confidence or the right tools. This soon changed when they screwed up both times. In Croatia the garage charges are so cheap most of the time I don't see the point of getting my hands dirty.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

Sounds a good place to live. 8)

Peter
Welly

Post by Welly »

I struggle for having the right kit to do certain jobs and the last oil change I did at home was approx 2007 which turned into something akin to the Exxon Vadez disaster.....

I wouldn't say I'm incapable of working on cars (and did do a lot in my youth) but I do lack the tools and some of the little tricks of the trade to keep out of trouble. I would be the one to snap off a glow plug for example.

Apart from simple air/pollen filters all servicing work and brakes gets passed to 'my' mechanic whilst I carry on working at my job. Having said that I've just had a price off him for rear discs/pads on our Astra......£190.00 :shock: the car's only worth £500.00 so might have to brave that job myself :(
Cars in my care:
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

The great thing about the 406 is that its relatively easy to work on compared with many modern cars and the 8 valve Hdi engine must be at least one of the best in the world if not the best.

Peter
benczuk
3.0 24v

Post by benczuk »

I always check oil, water and tyres before a long or important (holiday) journey. But I also do all the repairs myself, so not really the target market :)
2002 HDi 2.2 GTX Estate de-fapped
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

steve_earwig wrote:You're just mean :P :P
True :oops:
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
OllieNZ
2.0 Turbo

Post by OllieNZ »

Welly wrote:I struggle for having the right kit to do certain jobs and the last oil change I did at home was approx 2007 which turned into something akin to the Exxon Vadez disaster.....

I wouldn't say I'm incapable of working on cars (and did do a lot in my youth) but I do lack the tools and some of the little tricks of the trade to keep out of trouble. I would be the one to snap off a glow plug for example.

Apart from simple air/pollen filters all servicing work and brakes gets passed to 'my' mechanic whilst I carry on working at my job. Having said that I've just had a price off him for rear discs/pads on our Astra......£190.00 :shock: the car's only worth £500.00 so might have to brave that job myself :(
W ww ww one hundred and ninety quid!!!! I had a similar situation when I first moved over here.... bought an n reg 316 with a gazillion miles on it off a mate for a couple of hundred quid needed front brakes for mot, local garage wanted something like £160+vat I found a car parts website bought all the bits for less than £50 and did it myself. Not taken a car to a garage since.
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

I don't know where they get these prices from. I can do an oil and filter change on mine for less than £20.

Peter
Welly

Post by Welly »

I'm a bit annoyed about him wanting £190.00, I've put at least £2,000.00's worth of work his way over the last 18 months I guess that doesn't count for much, cheers. I suppose it all stacks up right once you add parts + labour + vat but I lack the kit/ability/caliper windy tool thing to try it myself. I don't even have a trolley jack.

I can afford the money but am loathed to pay that much on a car that's probably giving us one more year service tops, it just seems wrong. Trouble is the rear brakes feel rubbish and vibrate through the foot pedal, look rusted to f*ck and as if they're about to throw a wobbly any minute :frown:
Cars in my care:
Bailes1992

Post by Bailes1992 »

If you can get it down here Welly I'd gladly do them for you!
Not sure it would be cost effective by the time you add fuel costs. :lol:
2020 BMW 520d MSport Touring My Daily
2017 Dacia Logan MCV 1.5DCi Laureate Wifes
1996 Land Rover Defender 90 County SW 300TDi My Toy
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220 3.0 V6 My Other Toy