Self-igniting Vauxhall Zaffy's

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Self-igniting Vauxhall Zaffy's

Post by Welly »

On the News* last night there was a great big hoo-hah about Vauxhall Zafira's catching fire; these are the 2005 to 2014 models. Apparently out of 280,000 units about 180? have bbq'd themselves and now the stereotypical family owners are "afraid" to drive them because: children.

Seems Vauxhall think it's something to do with the Heating & Vent system but do not have a definitive fix since the models which present the problem are burnt to buggery.

Here's the facts as they happen:

I remember the self-igniting 406's but only one member here had a problem (miniman) but this Vauxhall problem seems worserer. If I was to guess I'd say it was an over-heating electrical connector on the cabin fan motor. Or something.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: Self-igniting Vauxhall Zaffy's

Post by steve_earwig »

My bro just flogged his old Zaf, 2006 I think it was. Low miles but he didn't get much for it (went to a cab driver) which seemed a shame at the time but now I reckon he was lucky to get shot of it. Not just because it might have burst into flames, but also because I'll bet the price of them will now drop through the floor.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

180 from 280000 is a ridiculously high number of fires for the automotive industry, these guys usually deal in Defective Parts Per Million (DPPM) with targets of less than 50, and that's for routine defects not for spontaneous combustion.

Having said that, people will always be people and fear it could happen to them, and I'm sure some can see a claim on the horizon :supafrisk: .
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
waue1978
HDi don't believe it!

Post by waue1978 »

Glad I've got an old one now. But might be able to pick up a cheap 150bhp cdti one soon now.
2000/X Peugeot 406 110 HDi LX Family 93k to 2000/W BMW 530D SE Auto 84k to 2003/03 Peugeot Partner Hdi Escapade 98k to 2003/53 Vauxhall Zafira DTi Elegance 74k

Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Oops, well, look what was causing gossip in Market Harborough on Saturday morning, nearly made me late for my Weatherspoons Breakfast (which was superb btw):

We arrived just after the drama, they were just rinsing it down but it looks like it was caught early, there didn't seem to be anyone around it so maybe it was parked and then caught fire on its own :?
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work