Manual Gearbox - what is the point?

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Manual Gearbox - what is the point?

Post by Welly »

Took my 17 year old daughter for a cheeky drive in the MIL's i10 yesterday on a very large empty Car Park.

She'd never driven a car before and being Automatic she found it made total sense i.e. Drive or Reverse and then you're free to get on with the business of steering and braking. Simple.

When I explained about manual gearboxes and clutch pedals she couldn't see the point of all that and, to be fair, what is the point really? we all drive in cities and stop/start situations where the Auto box excels. Some manufacturers have stopped selling manual's on certain models now in favour of Auto's and it got me thinking of 'future cars' I can't really see the manual shift staying around?

I know in the UK an Auto is seen as the choice of old people but really I'd say it was the smart choice given the amount of traffic etc. I've certainly enjoyed driving one in the last week; it's a real treat.

Be nice to hear your opinions?
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: Manual Gearbox - what is the point?

Post by steve_earwig »

I think most people's problem is the extra fuel consumption, followed by the feeling that you're not really in control. Potentially crippling repair costs too probably.

Yeah, I realise modern autos are much better on fuel consumption, some even better than their manual counterparts but that's generally with lots of motorway use, due to a higher top gear.

I dunno, I prefer them myself, maybe because I'm lazy.

Yoyo2 has the higher top gear (I'd say overdrive but apparently it has an "underdrive" presumably on the lower gears) but that doesn't do me much good as most of my driving is around town. Only 4 speeds too, which I think is a rarity these days where auto boxes have 7, 8, 9 speeds, presumably to try and keep it in the tiny power band.

Btw I've not driven a DSG and know little about them, I don't even know if they have a torque converter
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

Auto's are OK..
It's just when they go wrong that's the problem.. IMHO.
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

I would agree. Failure of an auto box in a car with the value of the ones I run would write it off. Additionally as Steve said its very difficult to 'nurse' an auto to get a good fuel consumption, but perhaps the best argument against one for people of a certain age is that most serious accidents involving elderly people occur in an automatic, with a manual you have to concentrate and therefore get your mind into gear. most elderly people although probably quite proficient at driving think more slowly than an auto box reacts.

Peter
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Next time you overcook it and just manage to get round a corner, ask yourself whether you wished you'd been driving* an auto.
(Who knows, maybe you've got a thing about nurses)?
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

I don't drive that fast I'm old. :frown:
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

I don't drive fast either..
Tell'a. Lie.. Some times I has to to avoid ' some clown or what ever..
:|
Welly

Post by Welly »

This 'ere little Hyundai seems to do a sterling job of engine braking, or rather there hasn't been any OMG BRAKE! episodes yet which kinda surprised me. Maybe it's because it's a 1.2 pez and weighs not very much heavy.
Cars in my care:
rwb
3.0 24v

Post by rwb »

Well as a general rule of thumb I much prefer things to stay where I put them than not.

However, with all this new fangled electricity mumbo jumbo maybe it's time to rethink the controls more fundamentally?

Didn't BMW used a CVT in the mini but programmed it to pretend to have gears?

Current: 407 2.2 HDi 170 & C6 2.7 HDi.
Former: 406 1.9 TD; 406 HDi 90; 407 2.2 160; 307cc 180; 508 HDi 140.
Map of PeugeotForums users offering PP2k
KozmoNaut
2.0 Turbo

Post by KozmoNaut »

rwb wrote:Didn't BMW used a CVT in the mini but programmed it to pretend to have gears?
A lot of cars with CVTs have "sport" modes that simulate gear changes. However, they all do it very badly so it feels like the clutch it slipping between gears, and they end up making the car slower to accelerate than if you just leave it in the normal setting. It's completely and utterly pointless.

I used to be 100% anti-automatic gearboxes because I thought I could do a better job with a manual, which was probably true when considering older automatic gearboxes, but these days it's a tough argument to make. I still prefer to change my own gears, but I'm not opposed to driving an automatic instead, especially for everyday driving. The most important thing with an automatic is probably to have an engine with decent torque. Torque-less revvy engines just don't work well with automatics.
2000 406 TS4 2.2 saloon
nickrose137
1.8 8v

Post by nickrose137 »

Spending £600 on a new clutch last summer reminded me of what a good idea automatics are :roll: . (No choice really - the clutch release bearing failed a week before we were due to set off for Italy on holiday.) I do prefer automatics now, but have never yet found a suitable one nearby when I've been looking for a car.
It's simple really: if, for an easy life, I want to delegate the gear changes to something that can't see the road ahead, I can expect to pay for that with poorly judged gear changes and therefore extra fuel consumption!
KozmoNaut
2.0 Turbo

Post by KozmoNaut »

In my experience, you can trick an automatic into downshiftning or upshiftning ahead of time by either blipping the throttle or momentarily letting up on it. You'll maintain roughly the same speed, but the gearbox will shift into a gear that fits your throttle input. Similarly, you can smooth out the upshifts by just letting off the throttle a tiny bit just as it's about to shift up.

Of course, this is based on driving my parents' old Mercs, a 1988 C190 and a 1996 C250. Once I got into the rhythm of signalling my intentions with the throttle pedal, progress became much smoother. You can't just get in and mash the gas/brake, there's a little bit of finesse to it.
2000 406 TS4 2.2 saloon
Welly

Post by Welly »

:arrowu: That's how this i10's box works, it's an old style auto and I was doing the same as you in encouraging a gear change using the throttle.

It did surprise me on the M1 though when it downshifted at 70mph and hooned up to 4500 rpm :shock:
Cars in my care:
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

That's the point of auto boxes though, you can't just use the throttle pedal like it's a big on/off switch, you have to use it to tell the box what you want it to do.

For engine braking you can shift the lever down, that's why it has all those lower numbers on it, they're not for decoration...

Now if I could only get the box in yoyoII to play ball: I just want to go a bit faster, come on, accelerate but stay in the same gear. No, don't fuggin kick down argh!
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

I have an auto box on my lorry - its a 12 speed auto.... :(

It is nearly impossible to slowly maneuver into a narrow drive on a hill, because as soon as you let off the throttle to ease into the drive you will instantly start rolling down the hill - so you have to go with all throttle and try to get in the gap without even slightly lifting the throttle - its a recipe for disaster. Clutch control on a manual box is the answer..

Don't get me wrong, the auto is okay for round town driving even if it does change gear 6 times in 100 yards and way to early, but when you get to a hill it stays in 12th gear until it nearly stalls, then drops to 10th ( nearly stalls.. ) then to 6th gear and will either stall or then drop to 2nd gear and lurch forward, then immediately change up to 6th, and then stall.....
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.