My New Car.

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

scoopeydiesel
2.0 16v

Re: My New Car.

Post by scoopeydiesel »

I was having a look at some of the topics on this site about tow bar electrics and as you have said and previously posted I can go straight into the electrics. I will only be towing a trailer no caravan. On some cars you can hear a buzzer when you turn on the indicators, what will I need for that. I don’t want to sound stupid but when you say solder, do you mean strip back a little wire and make a solder connection rather than cutting.
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

Yes strip back the wires and solder them back along with
The new wire your adding.
(Heat shrink ) is just a sleeve you put over ...heat it and it shrinks .thus keeping the wires
Properly insulated..and protects them .

I've just had a brand-new tow bar removed from my Mondeo..
Its got all the buzzers and other gadgets..

Your welcome to them if you want them.
benczuk
3.0 24v

Post by benczuk »

lozz wrote:If your towing a caravan and you want to run the fridge
Or charge the caravan battery..no
I know you said trailer, but for accuracy there is actually a power feed behind the drivers side rear light for the above purpose (look for the thicker red cable that goes nowhere, this was on both my estates, not had a saloon)
2002 HDi 2.2 GTX Estate de-fapped
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

That wouid be a ' permant live feed wouidnt it.

What I meant was ...if you was intending on...towing a caravan which has fridge / battery
Then u couidnt just wire straight in to cars wiring.

Split charge relays etc wouid be needed?
benczuk
3.0 24v

Post by benczuk »

or a normal switch you turn on when towing :supafrisk:
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

If you buy a new complete kit it should be all included, just check with the seller first
The buzzer you ask about is part of the kit & is wired into the indicators.
I would expect a kit to include a wiring diagram, it's pretty straightforward & you'll only need single elec's
for towing a trailer, oh & yes you wire it all in off the rear lights.
Hope this is of some help :)
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
scoopeydiesel
2.0 16v

Post by scoopeydiesel »

It looks like i’ve got the speedo issue sorted; I replaced the sensor on the gearbox last night and its working perfect today. I took a sensor off a D8 - 1997 1.9 TD, it was very slightly different but it fitted and worked. Anyone know if the TD sensor is ok to use on the HDI as I have a funny feeling that it may be slightly down on power but not sure. The other issue is the temperamental temperature gauge which I suspect is the blue sensor on the engine but that's not too urgent at the moment. The driver’s side footwell carpet is still very damp from the fixed leaking sunroof. I am going to take out the carpet for a week and let it air dry. I have the NCT at 9:30 in the morning which is the equivalent of the MOT; it should pass as the MOT was done last Sept about 1000 miles ago.
scoopeydiesel
2.0 16v

Post by scoopeydiesel »

lozz wrote:Yes strip back the wires and solder them back along with
The new wire your adding.
(Heat shrink ) is just a sleeve you put over ...heat it and it shrinks .thus keeping the wires
Properly insulated..and protects them .

I've just had a brand-new tow bar removed from my Mondeo..
Its got all the buzzers and other gadgets..

Your welcome to them if you want them.
Lozz. Thank you very much for such a kind offer, honestly I couldn’t take it as you can sell that for nice money on the web. I am going to order a Witter towbar with single electrics over the weekend. I will look for the buzzer later if it's not included in the wiring kit. Thanks again Lozz.
scoopeydiesel
2.0 16v

Post by scoopeydiesel »

Failed the NCT see below, everything was fine except a Visual/Aural on the rear upper suspension link arms (the ones with the camber type washer). I know it's an easy fix but setting the camber is the most difficult as the new links may be a different length and marking the washer isn’t much good then. I was looking on ebay and there is some tool for setting the camber. Anyone used one or could recommend one. I found this on the subject and does anyone know how to follow it?. I have asked in a few tyre places and none do the four wheel adjustment.

“”There's a lot of fuss about this H2, which is the height of the rear jacking point above the ground. You're meant to use spring compressors but I remember in the old days it was putting weights into the car.

Description---------------------------saloon/ coupe------estate
H2 ( mm )-----------------------------160,0---------------180,0
Tracking by wheel ( mm ) ± 0,5-----1,5-----------------up to build code 09580 : 2,00 mm - From build code 09581 : 2,75 mm
Camber (°) ± 30'........................... - 1° 50'
Hope that looks ok.

I guess the rear suspension is sort of multi-linked, so the alignment changes as the spring is compressed & released. SO I guess that means anyone who lowers their car can expect rear tyre wear...”””
Attachments
New Doc 55_1.jpg
LucyAnderson2016

Post by LucyAnderson2016 »

scoopeydiesel wrote:I was having a look at some of the topics on this site about tow bar electrics and as you have said and previously posted I can go straight into the electrics. I will only be towing a trailer no caravan. On some cars you can hear a buzzer when you turn on the indicators, what will I need for that. I don’t want to sound stupid but when you say solder, do you mean strip back a little wire and make a solder connection rather than cutting.
Glad to see there is thread about this as I was hoping for some advice on towing a trailer myself! The family and I are planning a holiday to Cornwall this summer and have decided to try taking a caravan as we love being out doors, and have two dogs which makes going away a little difficult as most hotels don't allow them. I have had a look online and think we will hire one of these trailers fromhttps://www.campanda.com/. We are not sure about buying one just yet, I guess if we do the trip again we go for it, but we'll just stick to rental for now. How did you find towing a trailer with th 406? My husband and I haven't done it before so any tips for things to watch out for would be great. Thanks very much.
benczuk
3.0 24v

Post by benczuk »

The 406 is a very good tow car. The 2.2HDi won tow car of the year in 2002, just make sure the weights of the car and caravan are a good match.
scoopeydiesel
2.0 16v

Post by scoopeydiesel »

The 406 is grand for towing. I've been towing trailers with a 406 for about 15 years and no issues. Just one word of advice - don't go silly on the speed and take it steady.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

scoopeydiesel wrote:I've been towing trailers with a 406 for about 15 years
Wow, did you have a lot of stuff to move? :cheesy:
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

scoopeydiesel wrote:Failed the NCT see below, everything was fine except a Visual/Aural on the rear upper suspension link arms (the ones with the camber type washer). I know it's an easy fix but setting the camber is the most difficult as the new links may be a different length and marking the washer isn’t much good then. I was looking on ebay and there is some tool for setting the camber. Anyone used one or could recommend one. I found this on the subject and does anyone know how to follow it?. I have asked in a few tyre places and none do the four wheel adjustment.

“”There's a lot of fuss about this H2, which is the height of the rear jacking point above the ground. You're meant to use spring compressors but I remember in the old days it was putting weights into the car.

Description---------------------------saloon/ coupe------estate
H2 ( mm )-----------------------------160,0---------------180,0
Tracking by wheel ( mm ) ± 0,5-----1,5-----------------up to build code 09580 : 2,00 mm - From build code 09581 : 2,75 mm
Camber (°) ± 30'........................... - 1° 50'
Hope that looks ok.

I guess the rear suspension is sort of multi-linked, so the alignment changes as the spring is compressed & released. SO I guess that means anyone who lowers their car can expect rear tyre wear...”””

When you adjust the eccentric washers you are adjusting the rear alignment (tracking) and not the camber.