Fitting new bearings to a Washing Machine?

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Fitting new bearings to a Washing Machine?

Post by Welly »

We've got a very nice Electrolux Machine, about 5 or 6 years old, was expensive at the time and which we're happy with but the bearings have gone noisy over the last week or so. I think I overloaded it :supafrisk:

It's a built-under machine so it hides away as part of the kitchen cupboards, these are always much more expensive :roll: I like the way it's concealed as otherwise it'd be the first thing you see when entering the kitchen. Buying a new machine seems wasteful.

So, I've started looking on e-spares and a new bearing kit is available quite cheap but watching the 'how to' video it's a MEGA strip-down job which'll take a number of hours. It looks doable with normal tools but it really looks a PITA including splitting the drum in two and re-sealing it etc. Having just repaired a Citroen C4's climate control gear lying upside down in the footwell I feel ready for the next level of awkwardness :o

Anyone had any experience or tips?
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
lozz
3.0 24v

Re: Fitting new bearings to a Washing Machine?

Post by lozz »

Hi.
Its not hard to 'strip them down.

The 'hardest part is getting the old bearing out..
scoopeydiesel
2.0 16v

Post by scoopeydiesel »

I done a Hotpoint one about 20 years ago and had to do it again about 5 years later. It's not that difficult but it all depends on the machine. I had another Hotpoint about 5 years ago and after stripping it to do the bearing I just binned it as the bearing was completely housed in plastic from memory but it was a cheap machine compared to the first one. You have nothing to lose by trying and as Loss said the bearing may be the most difficult but you could get someone with a bearing puller to remove the bearing.
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

'Some washing machine places sell the full back plate.
It makes the job easier. (0n older washers with aloy back plates u can use heat..to get the bearing free)

Some washers you can split the drum and just remove the back plate
Of which the metal drum will come out incl heater element..

Some you have to drop out the full drum or lift it out..
Depending on size of ..inspection cover.

I've not bothered with them for years..last one ifixed was 7 years ago ( Bosch)
Replaced brushes..its been reliable and cheap to own.
Its going in the bin shortly as its trying to run away on spins.

There's a brown water stain on the back of the drum back plate ' A true sighn the bearings are failing.
scoopeydiesel
2.0 16v

Post by scoopeydiesel »

You have it all there, black stains down the drum, washing machine dancing on the floor. Likewise hate the job stripping them. I have a Whirlpool Dishwasher that stared leaking before Christmas and it's on the very long to do list. Any idea where to start, and sorry Welly I am not hijacking your topic.
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

Not sure on 'dishwashers tbh.

Never owned one. Wife 0.1 had me doing the dishes ..same with wife no 0.2

If its leaking..maybe taking it out side..and plumb in the hose pipe..
( obviously safety first wear wellies)
No pun intended.

Saves pissing the kitchen floor through...whilst finding ' source of leak.
More than likely be a seal somewhere that's failed.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Washing machines - I've never had to change a bearing, it's always something else that killed them. If it was 20 years old I'd say save it but, 6 years? Beyond it's design parameters, these things are designed and built not to last, so you'll fix the bearings and then something else will break. It's really up to you , if you can let the washing build up while you work on it, if you have the space to have it in bits, then have a go but, bear in mind, if it all goes tits-up then you'll need a new one pronto, rather than listening in amusement to the bearings growl as you wait for a new one to be delivered & the old one to be taken away and turned into Toyotas.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Dishwashers - again little experience, I've only had to change a door spring on this Whirlpool here (W74-1). A couple of years back we had to have a new pump fitted, the usual guy did the work (the labour is the cheap bit here) and it cost about a ton :frown: . He got to it by turning the machine on it's side and going in from the bottom.

This one doesn't seem to ever have much water in it so the door seals aren't all that vital. Obviously if the level sensor's bust it'll keep filling up and there will be a flood. Otherwise there are all the seals on the motor and tubes to leak. As Lozz says, get it outside and run it up.

Welly

Post by Welly »

Been watching a few youtube vids on bearing changes and I think I'll have a go, I didn't realise at first but I need a front bearing, a rear bearing and a bearing 'seal' which all come to £88.00 :frown: and if I change the door seal (or knacker the old one) then that's another £48.00 :shock: oh and there's still another 'tub seal' I can't find on the website so need to call them up oh and the bearings aren't actually listed under my model number but hoping they cross over to other similar models.

FFS no wonder people just bin these things and buy another cheaply made machine which won't see it's 5th birthday without a fight.

On that note, watch this:

dq6T5BojXc8
Cars in my care:
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

I think the washing machine vids were posted on here before. for some reason I find them hilarious- But then I do enjoy watching this guy blow stuff up:
vROdVsU_K80

If you can find a bearing factor and give them the codes you might be able to get the bearings a deal cheaper (see Sam's oil filter thread for details...)

lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

'Can you not buy the parts off ebay wellie?

Iused to get parts for washing machines..from local markets.
Things like brushes imade my 'own.

Replacing ours with another Bosch..its been as hard as nails almost bullet proof..
Wife was looking at a Beko...I said to her ffs it'd last 5 month with the way she hammers them.
scoopeydiesel
2.0 16v

Post by scoopeydiesel »

Welly wrote:Been watching a few youtube vids on bearing changes and I think I'll have a go, I didn't realise at first but I need a front bearing, a rear bearing and a bearing 'seal' which all come to £88.00 :frown: and if I change the door seal (or knacker the old one) then that's another £48.00 :shock: oh and there's still another 'tub seal' I can't find on the website so need to call them up oh and the bearings aren't actually listed under my model number but hoping they cross over to other similar models.

FFS no wonder people just bin these things and buy another cheaply made machine which won't see it's 5th birthday without a fight.

On that note, watch this:

dq6T5BojXc8
Never changed a front bearing, can't see how there could be one but then again I might be wrong.
scoopeydiesel
2.0 16v

Post by scoopeydiesel »

lozz wrote:Not sure on 'dishwashers tbh.

Never owned one. Wife 0.1 had me doing the dishes ..same with wife no 0.2

If its leaking..maybe taking it out side..and plumb in the hose pipe..
( obviously safety first wear wellies)
No pun intended.

Saves pissing the kitchen floor through...whilst finding ' source of leak.
More than likely be a seal somewhere that's failed.
Good idea to take it outside and let it run with water connected.
Welly

Post by Welly »

scoopeydiesel wrote: Never changed a front bearing, can't see how there could be one but then again I might be wrong.
Yeah it's a bit confusing, there's two bearings at the back of the drum and sometimes called 'front and rear' bearings or 'inner and outer'.

All seems academic to me now as I think I've just found out my drum/tub is welded and therefore cannot be opened to assess the bearings. You can buy a new drum for £200.00 though :frown: I think they can FO on that one.
Cars in my care:
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

It might be one of those that splits at the front and not the rear.