Peugeot 406 dying. Help and advice please.

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

Buck347
1.6 8v

Peugeot 406 dying. Help and advice please.

Post by Buck347 »

Hi all, sadly my 406 is getting a bit worn out. As you may remember I've been having problems with the locks spinning and now I have a rattle that sounds like I'm towing a bunch of empty cans.
The noise you get from wedding cars that say "just married". For a few years I've had an intermittent rattle that I was convinced was from the cat. That's now developed into the above empty cans sound. The thing is sat still in neutral you can rev the engine and it's just a rattle. However as soon as your driving or doing a few mph the sounds there Or free wheeling and rev the engine the horrid rattles back.
The gears are fine as is the clutch, so basically I have this awful sound once driving. Silent when free wheeling/rolling but back if you rev it up while rolling or engage the gears :shock:

As for the 307 mentioned in the title it's because of the above issues and the locks I was thinking about buying a 2002, 307 -1.4hdi as a little run about for now. £450 with 116000 on the clock and 8 months mot. No major faults I can see.

What do u guys think? Do they suffer any serious problems or reason to avoid them.?

Thanks Buck
lozz
3.0 24v

Re: Peugeot 406 dying. Help and advice please.

Post by lozz »

Hi.
It might be something simple..exhaust heatsheild perhaps.

Re: 307's. They're plagued with problems but just like all cars there's a good one or a bad one.

There no way as reliable as a 406. But there's not many left now.

Get your self a good old Mondeo..they're cheap to run and pretty much bomb proof. :wink:
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

Buck347 wrote:Hi all, sadly my 406 is getting a bit worn out. As you may remember I've been having problems with the locks spinning and now I have a rattle that sounds like I'm towing a bunch of empty cans.
The noise you get from wedding cars that say "just married". For a few years I've had an intermittent rattle that I was convinced was from the cat. That's now developed into the above empty cans sound. The thing is sat still in neutral you can rev the engine and it's just a rattle. However as soon as your driving or doing a few mph the sounds there Or free wheeling and rev the engine the horrid rattles back.
The gears are fine as is the clutch, so basically I have this awful sound once driving. Silent when free wheeling/rolling but back if you rev it up while rolling or engage the gears :shock:

As for the 307 mentioned in the title it's because of the above issues and the locks I was thinking about buying a 2002, 307 -1.4hdi as a little run about for now. £450 with 116000 on the clock and 8 months mot. No major faults I can see.

What do u guys think? Do they suffer any serious problems or reason to avoid them.?

Thanks Buck
Exhaust hangers sounds likely. Freewheeling means the car's idling, so there's less vibration in the exhaust system. Applying power will cause the exhaust to vibrate. One of the rubber hanging components may have failed. It's worth getting the car up on a ramp (if you can access one) and giving the exhaust a jiggle about, see if there's excess movement and/or noise. Could be a really cheap fix.

The locks spinning thing - I seem to recall this could be sorted by liberal application of WD40. I use the plip on my key to lock/unlock, so for all I know, mine could be doing this too (but I only have two locks (plus the boot lid).
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
OllieNZ
2.0 Turbo

Post by OllieNZ »

I have no issues with my 307 other than the 'orrible 1.6hdi(dv6) but with appropriate steps it's not to much of a biggie. From what I've read the 1.4 hdi (dv4) has none of the issues of its larger brother and is a solid engine.
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Are you sure the exhaust isn't touching the body or suspension somewhere it shoouldn't? As highlander says it's likely to be rubber support snapped, or a hanger given way / the corresponding hook on the exhaust rusted away.
Try shaking it by the tailpipe or any other bit you can reach while it's stationary. Even parking it with one side on the kerb might let you slide underneath and examine it from end to end.
An internal rattle is possible too - my would be son-in-laws has a Saxo VTR wuth a big bore exhaust that sounds as you describe, but he can reach in the tailpipe and stop the loose baffle rattling. If you're able to get close to all your exhaust boxes with it ticking over, you should be able to localise the problem. USe a screwdrier as a crude stethoscope to listen to each box.

A 307 is nothing like as nice to drive - I was using my daughter's during my recent handbrake problem. Grateful as I am for the loan, it really made me appreciate the ride quality, silence, comfort and stability of the 406.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
Buck347
1.6 8v

Post by Buck347 »

Thanks for all the replies, this noise has progressed from a vibration on the cat to what it is now (a gawd awful racket) I've at some point changed the middle and back boxes and am confident all is well. The cat however I ignored the tinny vibration for years and when I initially heard this new racket I thought it had finally given up. Then I noticed it was happening much more noticeable when the engine is under toe and so I grew concerned that it was the gearbox.

My locks are still spinning to. Either way I've decided to fix it, or try just for sentimental reasons.

I've also got the 307 1.4 hdi as well while while I address the issues I have lol
Thanks.
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Buck347 wrote: I noticed it was happening much more noticeable when the engine is under toe and so I grew concerned that it was the gearbox.
That sounds like an engine mounting issue.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)