Car Insurance - is it going up in price again?

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

PeterN
3.0 24v

Re: Car Insurance - is it going up in price again?

Post by PeterN »

It is interesting, what's also interesting is that one company wants about three times as much for the same location, same driver and same car, in fact identical details, which is why I go to the comparison site, it show the the cheapest ones at the top of the list.

The value of the cars I run makes it uneconomical to claim for damage to my own car because the excess is probably more than the car is worth, as I found some years ago when my wife demolished a bus shelter with my XM. I managed to get our local friendly garage to come and pick it up for very little money and bring it home for spares, I then went out and bought another one - this was of course a few years ago when there were plenty about for peanuts.

Peter
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

There's not a comfier way to demolish a bus shelter than with a Citroen XM, well done Mrs_PeterN :cheesy:

Landy - I get what you're saying totally but short of conducting interviews with every punter and analysing their behavioral character we're stuck with the insurers risk management and they can only use the data they have to hand.

One thing that struck me was the culture of attracting new customers for just 12 months and then shoving them off; I guess if you had someone on cover for 5 years they're 'likely' to make a claim but in 12 months they aren't so likely so less of a risk?

I think we have to treat these service providers like all the others and just trade around every 12 months :(
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

This is the third year in a row I've been with Admiral, because their renewal quotes have been consistently lower than the cheapest quotes I've gleaned from the comparison sites.

I do check though, every year.
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Welly wrote:There's not a comfier way to demolish a bus shelter than with a Citroen XM, well done Mrs_PeterN :cheesy:
My bro took one out with a Mk2 Jag, (together with a lamp post, park bench and miscellaneous fencing).
Maybe not as comfy, but certainly stylish and effective.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

A few years ago I was insured with Aviva and used a price comparison site at renewal time. The cheapest quote was with Aviva, £80 less than the renewal from Aviva. I phoned them up and was told that the internet price was for new policies only and that they couldn't reduce my renewal price. I was, however, perfectly welcome to take out the new policy via the comparison site, to start when the current policy expires, which was exactly what I did.... Crazy!

The Volvo is considerably cheaper to insure than the Pug was, prices seem to be reasonably consistent from year to year so far (hard to believe I've had it 4 years in a few months!!).
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
OllieNZ
2.0 Turbo

Post by OllieNZ »

Well just renewed the jim for £370 all mods declared and the 307 for £490, t'wife has only had her full licence for a year. Both adrian flux.
LucyAnderson2016

Post by LucyAnderson2016 »

PeterN wrote:That seems to be general, I get a discount on my insurance for having the wife on it and she gets one for having me on hers, wonderful idea. :D
Peter
Yes, my husband and I have the same deal. Works out well I think!
Last edited by teamster1975 on Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved your reply outside the quote!