Moving on from the 406

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

benczuk
3.0 24v

Moving on from the 406

Post by benczuk »

The time has come to pass my 406 on to someone else to enjoy. It has been the most comfortable, sporty and useful car i have ever owned and I (and my kids) will be sad to see it go.

I have recently got a new job which came with a bit of a bonus so i have been able to upgrade* to something newer in the form of a 4007. I have had a hankering for a 4x4 for a while to tow the caravan out of muddy fields and these, which are actually Mitsubishi Outlanders, built by the Japanese with a Pug HDI engine and a (stupidly massive) peugeot badge on the front were the best compromise of "truck-ness", mpg and boot / occupant space i could find.

I looked at lots of 4x4 estate cars which all had stupidly small boots compared to the 406 (flat load floor, styled rear ends, too slanted boot lids, seats set back behind the C pillars). Disco 3's which are amazing to drive but so heavy on fuel and break every 3 minutes. Volvo XC90's which have the literal turning circle of a bus, and the economy to match and a few others before deciding to go with the 4007/outlander/c-crosser option. I looked at lots of them and settled on the pug due to price, spec and mileage.

So I now have a 58 plate 4007 GT in Silver with 55k miles. It needs a little TLC on the interior but the exterior is mint (alloys excepted, why do pug alloys of a certain era appear to have no lacquer on them?)

Already fitted a Parrot Asteroid tablet thingy for bluetooth streaming and hands free, and have lots of other enhancements lined up.

The new job means i get a lot less time to browse here but i do keep checking in occasionally, and will continue to do so and hopefully update this with things i manage to complete. But wanted to take this opportunity to thank all of you for your help over the years. You are a truly great bunch!
Attachments
IMG_3798.jpg
(123.48 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
2002 HDi 2.2 GTX Estate de-fapped
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: Moving on from the 406

Post by steve_earwig »

There does appear to be a great deal of sillyness in the 4x4 market, all sorts of problems also seem to crop up, I suspect because manufacturers rush to put these cars on the market to take some of the sector before they're actually ready (and perhaps never would have been).

I've toyed with the idea of a C-Corrser(4007 myself for a long time, but the amount of small journeys we do would probably be the death of a diesel. The petrols are the Mitsubishi engine, which appear to be a disaster - the garage next to Goran had one in a while back that had lost its timing chain at 55,000 Km. Nothankyoubye.

Feel free to stick about and please do keep us updated (and I won't say the 4007 resembles an extra from Thomas the Tank Engine too often :supafrisk: )
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Since we must all eventually consider life after 406 and you have remained faithful to the mighty DW12, I guess you are forgiven. :)
I was thinking a few years back that the C-Crossdresser version looked like it would give decent performance and economy.
Keep us posted on how you get on.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Hi benczuk!

Nice to hear from you, well done on the new job! I'm guessing it's not collecting deck-chairs down at the seafront? :cheesy:

Until literally 2 minutes ago I didn't know the 400000007 existed! it looks kinda familiar but had no idea it was a Mitsuebeshe under the skin. That should be a good thing though obvs.

Please keep in touch though, has been quiet of late.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Welly wrote:...but had no idea it was a Mitsuebeshe under the skin. That should be a good thing though obvs.
It's a cracker! :lol: The less the better, IMHO.

I was on the 4007/C-Dresser forum while it existed, major topics for discussion seemed to be; juddering clutches due to oil leaks from the crank oil seals on diesels (engage high gear, pull away, burn clutch - it goes away), the expense of various trim parts (cheaper from Mistershitti apparently), useless reversing lights, broken road springs and the removal of particulate filters and the legalities thereof. And then it just vanished, no idea why :?
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

I joined the C4 forum hoping for some helpful insight with day to day running etc. I'm still waiting :roll:

The Volvo Forum is amusing in the things they find to complain about; "please help! my glove box squeaks when I close it, sometimes, if its raining, on a Thursday". And one guy actually posted a new topic with his rantings over a brand new X-something or other that was going to be two weeks late from the Factory and he was REALLY angry about it and how disgusted he was :? I'd love to complain about my brand new car being late.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work