Fingers crossed for Rufus

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Fingers crossed for Rufus

Post by Doggy »

Rufus, aka the red dog is our last surviving cavalier, pictured here with Charlie the black and tan we sadly lost last year.
Yesterday, he collapsed with what we thought was heart failure - cavaliers are plagued by mitral valve disease and though Rufus had no trace of this condition at 4 years old, it showed up shortly afterwards and has deteriorated a bit in recent times, (he's 8.5 years old now). Yesterday was still a shock, our local vet recommended a referal and to cut a long story short, we wound up taking him to the RVC / QMHA in Potters Bar yesterday evening - (my daughter used to work there so we can cut a few corners).

Found myself signing a consent form and coming away dogless. I personally don't think I'll be seeing him again.

Now it turns out his heart's not quite that bad, he's suffering blood loss from a mass in his intestine. He's having a transfusion and futher scans just now, possibly surgery later. I cannot in all honesty imagine a positive outcome from all this, but we have to go through the motions while Mrs Doggy come to terms with what I see as the inevitable. Sorry to burden you with this, but it seems to help somehow.

Ironically, he's booked up to piddle on Bavaria, Austria & Switzerland next week - we've not been away on holiday since 2012, but don't think I can stomach the idea of going however this turns out.

Guess we'll be there soon old friend
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Re: Fingers crossed for Rufus

Post by Welly »

We never had dogs when I was growing up, we've looked after dogs a couple of times as favours in recent years and I do 'get' that interaction between man & dog although have never 'felt' it.

We have two cats and they don't seem to give a sh*t who's who as long as their bowls are re-stocked, in fact the oldest one is starting to show its age (we guess around 8 years old) but I don't think loosing him would mean as much as a dog's loss. Cat's seem to spend there time alongside your living but dogs are part of your family.

Fingers crossed indeed although from what you've said it doesn't sound very good going forward in all honesty; I think you've done well to admit that to yourself. You shouldn't be sorry to burden* the forum, you've shared your woes with like-minded friends that's all and there's nothing wrong with that.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

Welly wrote:Cat's seem to spend there time alongside your living but dogs are part of your family.
This depends very much on the cat. We've had at least one ultra-aloof cat, but most of ours have been determined to follow us about and involve themselves in what we're doing in much the same way our two dogs had done. Mum's current cat even plays fetch, and if they've been away for any more than a day or two, he gives them an absolute bollocking when they get home, and he won't let them out of his sight for a week or two, being uber-clingy and finding every opportunity to sit on their lap or rub up against their legs - he really loves his people.

Sorry to hear about Rufus, Doggy. It's never an easy time, whether they're just ill or they're passing. Dogs, cats, etc. are family members, but they have such short lives by comparison to most humans. Console yourself with the knowledge that you've given your pets the happiest life they could possibly have; they do love you for it.
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Fingers crossed indeed, that all sounds very worrying. What's on earth is the lump in his intestine? Hopefully not what I think it is.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

Really sorry to hear about the health problems your dog Rufus is having, Eric.

My old dog Jasper had his fair share of that.

I hope there is a favourable outcome to this!

All the best!
OllieNZ
2.0 Turbo

Post by OllieNZ »

All the best Doggy
Doggy

Post by Doggy »

Thank you all for your kind comments.
steve_earwig wrote:What's on earth is the lump in his intestine? Hopefully not what I think it is.
Very likely it is. He's had a transfusion, been sedated so they can do more scans - if they don't find anything else they'll try operating.
If it's not operable or any other problems are found, he just won't wake up.

They gave us a choice, but mercifully my wife decided it wouldn't be fair to bring him round again just to expire from an internal bleed.

Here's a few other pics from happier times:

We never* let them on the furniture. :oops:
Doggy

Post by Doggy »

Seems our red dog's a fighter after all, his scans came up clear and he's got through surgery. He had a lump right at the bottom of his intestine, almost but not quite affecting his colon. So he's lost 4 or 5 cm of intestine and they've zipped him back up. Now we wait.

Mrs Doggy is still in a state, but at least she's now comfortable we've done everything possible for him.
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

I guess it's a bit early to say but that does sound a lot more hopeful.

PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

Pleased to hear that there is some good news Doggy, this is the downside of having pets but when you think of the pleasure they give you its just about acceptable.

We have had dogs and cats all our married life, that's 54 years so we have lost a few in that time. Last week we lost both of our cats within two days, we had a black and white moggy called Geordie who would have been 20 years old in November, he was abandoned in the woods above our house 1996 and had been very healthy until the last few months when he lost a lot of weight and finally couldn't digest any food.

Our other cat was a chocolate point Siamese called Smarty, he was 18 years old but looked in very good condition still, but he suddenly went off his food about a week ago and we had to have him put down only two days after the other one.

We still have a 7 year old German Shepherd the last of a long line of them, she should be in good health, all our others have lived to 13 or 14 but I don't think this one will make that, she has had many problems.

Both cats were very affectionate in fact the Siamese followed me round like a dog, it seems very quiet here now.

Peter
Welly

Post by Welly »

Encouraging news Doggy, very good to hear, I guess you just don't know anything until they try out certain "repairs". Did they say what made him collapse in the first place?
Cars in my care:
Doggy

Post by Doggy »

Thank you all once again. I feel for you loss Peter.

Welly, he collapsed due to no blood/oxygen to his brain - a combination of low blood pressure and volume, (first blood test showed a platelet count of 12, 16 is cause for concern, 40 is normal), the transfusion was to replace he loss and tide him over till he can hopefully make his own. This morning's result is 30, so looking good.
(I don't really understand all this, so a few details could be wrong). They took about 10cm total out of his intestine, which he should be OK with, we might have to change his diet.

The latest is he's being moved from ICU to whatever the animal equivalent of a normal ward is. If all goes well, he can come home Sunday or Monday.

We're supposed to be leaving for Germany on Wednesday morning. My daughter's a vet nurse and will look after him, but she's got a cavalier of her own, 2 cats - one of which has a cracked pelvis due to losing an argument with a car last week, a 3-year old son and 15-month old twins.
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

Poor little bugger. We're all rooting for him.
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
Welly

Post by Welly »

Doggy wrote: The latest is he's being moved from ICU to whatever the animal equivalent of a normal ward is. If all goes well, he can come home Sunday or Monday.
Take him some Grapes and a copy of July's Practical Classics to read :cheesy:
Cars in my care:
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

:cheesy: :cheesy: & tell him to leave the nurses alone...

Crikey Peter, that's rough. I'm ever so sorry for your losses.