Autobox on a HDi

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Autobox on a HDi

Post by FarmerPug »

How good are the autoboxes on the 2.0 HDi engines?

I recently got a pup and am thinking of replacing my 607 with an estate either a 406 or Xantia, but have seen a few SE estates with the autobox. Just wondering if the diesels got the same 4HP20 box that the V6s got?
PeterN
3.0 24v

Re: Autobox on a HDi

Post by PeterN »

I have not heard of many problems but personally I wouldn't have one unless you have a real need, partly on fuel efficiency grounds and also because if one fails it will probably write the car off, unless you are prepared to DIY it. I won't run anything now that I can't repair myself or replace it cheaply, pension doesn't run to any more. Auto boxes are dangerous for people of my age :?

The 8 valve HDI is a brilliant engine, almost bombproof as is the manual gearbox, I,m running two 406 estates and they just don't go wrong.

Peter
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

They seem to keep going, but people complain about struggling to get 30 mpg
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Traditional Auto boxes that 'slip' by design seem to completely contradict the whole point of the HDi which is to ride the wave of natural torque you get. This 'wasted' torque must lead to heavy fuel use.

As with all slushmatic boxes; fluid and filter changes give better service and less trouble.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Hi Frank! Waives

More modern 'boxes (circa 1990 onwards) have lock up overdrives, which means at motorway speeds they're more economical than manuals. Of course, this means they're crap everywhere else...
FarmerPug wrote:Just wondering if the diesels got the same 4HP20 box that the V6s got?
I thought they changed supplier/upgraded across the range :? Service Box gives nothing away :roll:

I don't actually think auto 'boxes suit diesels.

Once again I'm wondering how much of a job it would be to convert an auto to a manual. Apart from the obvious (flywheel, clutch, hydraulics, brake fluid reservoir), would it "just" need a BSI/ECU combo from the bay? I checked the block and crank on SB, they're the same...
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
rwb
3.0 24v

Post by rwb »

Is that the "AL4"?

They need oil changes.

There are uprated valved available for the valve block and a corresponding software update.

Current: 407 2.2 HDi 170 & C6 2.7 HDi.
Former: 406 1.9 TD; 406 HDi 90; 407 2.2 160; 307cc 180; 508 HDi 140.
Map of PeugeotForums users offering PP2k
OllieNZ
2.0 Turbo

Post by OllieNZ »

Welly wrote:Traditional Auto boxes that 'slip' by design seem to completely contradict the whole point of the HDi which is to ride the wave of natural torque you get. This 'wasted' torque must lead to heavy fuel use.

As with all slushmatic boxes; fluid and filter changes give better service and less trouble.
Most torque converters are designed to multiply torque, the more slip the greater the torque multiplication with the greatest multiplication occurring at the "stall speed" .
The issue with this is, the greater the multiplication factor the more heat gets generated and heat is the killer of an auto transmission.
Most auto's run something between a 1.1 and 2.5:1 multiplication factor with lower typically being used on cars and higher on 4x4s, lorry's etc.
I've had auto's in both diesels and petrols and I think performance comes down to how well the manufacturer has matched the converter to the engines characteristics. The shift software also plays a huge part in how the box feels and performs.
Bailes1992

Post by Bailes1992 »

I think most torque converter gearboxes are pretty well sorted these days. The only issues you hear of are the new breed of dual clutch or CVT boxes.

I think the best thing you can do with an autobox is regular oil changes. I wouldn't think twice about buying an automatic HDi but I think I would make sure I flushed the box out well before I started throwing miles at it. Assuming they use cheap ATF fluid then I think I would drop the pan, clean out as much of the old oil as possible, swap out the filter and pop it all back together with fresh fluid. Then I would drop the oil and refill every week until it started coming out the same colour as it went in. I think after that yearly changes would suffice.
2020 BMW 520d MSport Touring My Daily
2017 Dacia Logan MCV 1.5DCi Laureate Wifes
1996 Land Rover Defender 90 County SW 300TDi My Toy
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220 3.0 V6 My Other Toy
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

O.M.G Bailes,
You've got more money than sense & too much spare time.
But I think the both will change soon enough :wink:

The patter of tiny feet :cheesy:

Peter,
I don't wish to offend you but I think that any regular users of this forum know your views on the 406 2.0 hdi :roll:
As for Frank,
I don't think there's any thing you can tell him about these car's
outside of any questions he might post.

Just search YouTube for peugeotcitroën2CV, that's Frank's video post's :wink: .
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
Bailes1992

Post by Bailes1992 »

Just having a google, the AL4 apparently has a specified oil (Esso LT 71141) however in Australia where the gearbox is quite popular they just use regular ATF. You can get 25 litres of Dexron III oil (enough for 6 oil changes) for £40. Hardly breaking the bank and small price to pay compared to replacing the gearbox or writing the car off with gearbox failure.
2020 BMW 520d MSport Touring My Daily
2017 Dacia Logan MCV 1.5DCi Laureate Wifes
1996 Land Rover Defender 90 County SW 300TDi My Toy
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220 3.0 V6 My Other Toy
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

No offence taken. :x I know I do go on a bit. :wink:

Peter
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

I had a go in a HDi auto over here, it was a tad lethargic, and im driving a 607 at the moment...

Modern autos seem fantastic, my dad has a Mercedes C220 with a 7 speed box which seems to always be in the right gear and its a struggle to get it to do under 50mpg.

A bit of a different thought but seeing as this forum has a Volvo section, i have been in an S80 and V70 both were very comfortable. Tempted by one with a 2.4 diesel, are there any major issues to worry about?
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

FarmerPug wrote:i have been in an S80 and V70 both were very comfortable. Tempted by one with a 2.4 diesel, are there any major issues to worry about?
That's my boy!

Erm, you could have a look on the friendly* volvoforums.org the early D5's are the best bet, the later ones had DPF's and some issues with diesel diluting the oil sump and stuff but to be fair you don't hear of many horror stories either way. The D5 is not 'economical' though for a dizzler.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

FarmerPug wrote: A bit of a different thought but seeing as this forum has a Volvo section, i have been in an S80 and V70 both were very comfortable. Tempted by one with a 2.4 diesel, are there any major issues to worry about?
Image. :twisted:
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

I saw a Nurseades A klarse yesterday with levver seats and it occurred to me: Isn't that like putting an alloy wheel on a wheelbarrow?[/random]
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.