Another MOT shake up

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

piglet
2.0 Turbo

Another MOT shake up

Post by piglet »

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/mot- ... 0-may-2018

May 20th new rules apply
The .gov link states that you cannot drive away with a dangerous fail, so this then presumeable invalidates any current MOT left.
But for a major fail it says fix immediately, so does that mean the old MOT still covers you to drive on a major?

Tougher rules on DPF tampering. Glad I didn't go that route.

Also reverse lights & headlamp washers after 2009.

AND fluid leaks that would be detrimental to environment. Now what would they say about me spraying gearbox oil on the chassis?
2003 estate Hdi90 Siemens Fully pimped (roofrack&towbar)
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: Another MOT shake up

Post by steve_earwig »

piglet wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:57 am Now what would they say about me spraying gearbox oil on the chassis?
Should be ok, as long as it's not dripping everywhere...

They testing your brake fluid yet?
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

According to my MOT man next door at work there's always been a grey area surrounding failures, I once photocopied an excerpt from the MOT rules for him to display in his reception. It basically stated that once failed, if you drive away you've basically got no MOT regardless of what's left on the certificate.

Taking that further in my view if there was to be an accident/injury claim then they would look at the circumstances using common sense and whether or not the 'failure' item contributed to or caused the accident. Sounds like the new ruling is making this grey area much clearer. This'll make things difficult for people who use 'MOT only' stations as they'll have to pay to get the thing recovered and sent to a repair shop.

Another stealthy step closer to clearing away old cars off the roads.....
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Too right, nasty, dangerous, polluting things :roll:
Welly wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:30 am Taking that further in my view if there was to be an accident/injury claim then they would look at the circumstances using common sense...
Oh dear, you just lost the insurers there, I can well imagine them turning down a claim even if the fail was for a light bulb.

dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

It's always been my understanding that the MOT proved that the car was road worthy on the day of the test :?
If you were pulled over after this date & the old bill felt that your car was unroadworthy then you would be given
A seven day rectification notice, you had to take your car to a MOT station get a new MOT & produce this at your
Local Police station within seven days of the issued notice.

My tester I've been using for over ten years has allways said if I took my car in 28 day's early for the test to see of it would
Fail that, if it fails on anything major then the old MOT is invalid & the car is unroadworthy :roll:
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
piglet
2.0 Turbo

Post by piglet »

In the bad old days wasn't there a red failure slip where you couldn't drive it away?
Never had one so might be fiction.
Welly

Post by Welly »

Please tell me I'm not the only one who does his own "MOT" prior to taking the car in?

By this I mean making sure all bulbs are working, tyres all ok, no eggsauce leaks, handbrake ok, full screenwash etc etc.

People who moan at the inconvenience and cost of their car failing on something they should have seen themselves deserve punishing with public transport :)
Cars in my care:
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

Bulbs and wipers are one thing, but there's also a lot of failure points which are difficult if not impossible for a DIY'er to anticipate - emissions, brake balance, handbrake efficiency (if you have a 406 or E39, probably other cars, that one's always going to be a lottery), split gaiters, worn ball joints, rusty brake lines...

Suddenly driving back home from the local test centre to organise or perform a fix becomes a very costly exercise. I'm going to have to ditch my usual test-only place now for someone who has a financial interest in seeing cars fail

Also, headlamp washers are going to be tested. WTF? The merc only washes the lamps 1 in 5 times the screen is washed, the beamer was pretty much random, and I think the 406 only does it once every 20 minutes or something? How are they doing to deal with that? And how can one person see how effective the nearside washer is while standing by the driver's door?

Is anyone else unhappy with the thought of someone dipping something potentially dirty into their brake fluid reservoir?
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
caprixpack
2.0 16v

Post by caprixpack »

I thought they weren't allowed to remove engine covers and reservoir caps?
1984 924 2.0 n/a crystal Green - The daily
2005 VW Passat tdi 130 Highline, now 170bhp & 290ft/lb
2000 Peugeot 406 2.0 hdi - stood for 4 years, fresh mot and mostly working.
piglet
2.0 Turbo

Post by piglet »

mjb wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:04 am Suddenly driving back home from the local test centre to organise or perform a fix becomes a very costly exercise. I'm going to have to ditch my usual test-only place now for someone who has a financial interest in seeing cars fail
Not with you, nothing has really changed here.
I don't what constitutes a dangerous fail but I'm guessing anyone clued up about cars will know if their car has a dangerous fault.
Major fails you can still drive your car away, unless someone knows different.
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

mjb wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:04 am Is anyone else unhappy with the thought of someone dipping something potentially dirty into their brake fluid reservoir?
They've done that to me every test I've had here and it always worries me, I wouldn't put it past the locals to top up their brake fluid with the first bottle that come to hand, be it brandy or pig semen.

caprixpack
2.0 16v

Post by caprixpack »

I've never had anyone remove the brake fluid, oil or radiator cap on an mot. Like I said I don't think they're allowed to remove the cap for the MOT.
1984 924 2.0 n/a crystal Green - The daily
2005 VW Passat tdi 130 Highline, now 170bhp & 290ft/lb
2000 Peugeot 406 2.0 hdi - stood for 4 years, fresh mot and mostly working.
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

piglet wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:12 am
mjb wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:04 am Suddenly driving back home from the local test centre to organise or perform a fix becomes a very costly exercise. I'm going to have to ditch my usual test-only place now for someone who has a financial interest in seeing cars fail
Not with you, nothing has really changed here.
I don't what constitutes a dangerous fail but I'm guessing anyone clued up about cars will know if their car has a dangerous fault.
Major fails you can still drive your car away, unless someone knows different.
Dunno about you, but I don't know what condition the brake lines are in on either of our cars. They should be ok, but I haven't had the time or need to get under the cars to see. And I honestly have never checked my axles or driveshafts for signs of fracturing. I don't even know if I've got any cracking, bulging, rubbing or pinching on my brake hoses, because once again, you can't see them without getting the cars in the air... The outsides of my brake discs and the outer pads look ok, but I haven't got a clue about the inner side or pads either...

It was quite hard to find out what will actually get called "dangerous", i.e. enough to prevent you from driving it to get fixed, but I found the draft regs: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... -draft.pdf

Most of it's sensible, albeit poorly defined. However would you expect everyone clued up about cars to be able to tell if the trailer connector that came with their used car is broken if they've never even used it? Should that require a tow truck to get home from the testing station, and then back again? Is a crap handbrake or brake imbalance really enough to force a car to be loaded on the back of a lorry?

I've had air suspension die while on the MOT tester's ramp. I needed to restart the car on the 5 min trip home so it could pump itself back up, but an easy fix once the part was delivered. Should I have been forced to pay £££ to get the car trailered half mile home, and then trailered back to the MOT centre a few days later? What about a frayed rear centre seatbelt?

Sure, these things would be dangerous if left as-is, but when the car's already got the legal status of only being permitted to be driven to be repaired and back to the testing station, why should a passenger seat being loose prevent an otherwise fit car from being driven to be repaired?
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
Welly

Post by Welly »

I do actually get under my cars quite regular and give things a bit of grease or a coating of Builthamber [sp?] spray coat underseal type stuff where I see fit.

I even removed the Volvo's rear eggsauce hanger plates and gave them a spruce up as they were looking crusty and would cost nearly £50.00 each to replace.

Why don't manufacturers fit steel parts underneath with a proper rust-proof coating that lasts rather than what looks like a nano-thin dusting of black paint, applied in a wind tunnel, from 50mtrs away :roll:
Cars in my care:
stevewalsh
2.0 16v

Post by stevewalsh »

Over here in French France, the CT (MOT) Rules are changing to a much tougher test from May 1st. I think it is inline with a EU Ruling. Not sure whats changing at moment.

My old 406 is in for its test tomorrow afternoon, Hope to get another 2 year ticket