Worsening driving standards

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Worsening driving standards

Post by Welly »

This morning reminded me to post this but what's happening out there with drivers? I say I practice defensive driving and this morning whilst approaching parked cars on the opposite side of the road some chump headed straight towards me overtaking the parked cars so I had to stop to let him through; left me thinking "great I'll just wait for you then shall I" if the obstruction is in your lane then YOU have to wait until it's clear to pass :frown:

Add to this people pulling out on you, closing gaps in front of you, undertaking, late changing lanes, tailgating.....the list goes on.

Daughter_Welly has been driving for 10 months but doesn't actually enjoy the experience mostly due to the above.

I know this isn't anything new out there but it really is getting bad, your experiences welcomed......

steve_earwig need not reply :lol: :shock:
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
rwb
3.0 24v

Re: Worsening driving standards

Post by rwb »

It's astonishing, when I'm behind a wagon with the cruise on at 56 -- a constant speed in a straight line -- just how many people try to crash into you.

I'd say that the gap I leave was a little on the small size -- I can stop much quicker than a wagon -- but apparently you can fit two BMWs into it.

What I really love is closing the gap and making the cnt miss their exit.

Current: 407 2.2 HDi 170 & C6 2.7 HDi.
Former: 406 1.9 TD; 406 HDi 90; 407 2.2 160; 307cc 180; 508 HDi 140.
Map of PeugeotForums users offering PP2k
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

I gave up using any lane on a motorway but the nearside many years ago, I'm quite happy to drive at 56 mph on a long journey, It doesn't take much longer and you arrived much less tired and have a considerably improved fuel consumption.

Peter
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Don't get me started on bad driving - I'm in the thick of it all day.
Imagine me in my 26tonne lorry navigating the narrow streets of Bournemouth along with tourists, dementia ridden pensioners, students and foreign drivers who still think they are in Delhi......
Bad parking is my bug bear, makes my job more difficult.

I must get a dash cam and upload it all.... :shock:
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Ah, err, ok, I won't :(
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Welly

Post by Welly »

steve_earwig wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:48 pm Ah, err, ok, I won't :(
I meant the driving over your way has always been bad :)

Feel free to add your woes here mate :)
Cars in my care:
Welly

Post by Welly »

GingerMagic wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:20 pm Don't get me started on bad driving - I'm in the thick of it all day.
Imagine me in my 26tonne lorry navigating the narrow streets of Bournemouth along with tourists, dementia ridden pensioners, students and foreign drivers who still think they are in Delhi......
Bad parking is my bug bear, makes my job more difficult.

I must get a dash cam and upload it all.... :shock:
I always let lorries carry on if I can, always flash them through so they don't have to slow down etc and they're usually really grateful.

Do you get people pulling out in front of you because "you're a lorry so must be going slow".
Cars in my care:
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Sometimes, but most still have some inkling that it might not be a good idea.
Just back from a 9am delivery in Guildford, a truly joyous experience. The car park that is the M25 still hosts a thriving colony of Lemmings, their favourite manoeuvre being the HGV pincers where two cars over and undertake you at the same time, then both dive for the carefully husbanded gap in front of you.
Rarely ends well. :roll:
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Welly wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:39 pm I meant the driving over your way has always been bad :)

Feel free to add your woes here mate :)
Ok, ta. Although I'm worried I'll get boring... So yes, sh*t driving central, too many people have no idea what they're doing on the road, not just not bothering to indicate but indicating the wrong way and quite a few seem to think right-of-way belongs to whoever's going the fastest.

Today, short journey to collect t'wife (5 miles?), main back road parrallel with the high road, I'm going one way, there's another handbag special coming the other way. Idiot in Pisshat reverses straight out of a driveway opposite me across the road and in front of both of us, causing both to brake hard. He backs up in front of me and takes off down the road, trailing a big black cloud of Zyclon B. I could be charitable and think it may have been a matter of life or death but that would be pointless.

Bailes1992

Post by Bailes1992 »

Picture the scene...

5am this morning on the M4 between Pencoed and Llantrisant, sun is out, no traffic on the motorway at all. I'm making some reasonable progress as I come over the brow of a hill to find the motorway for the mile or so ahead that I can see completely empty except for one chap in a 57 Zafira sat in the outside lane doing 70ish.

I can not confirm whether or not some undertaking happened but I'd say it is very likely.

I'm also noticing more and more people on their phones driving every day. Often driving down the motorway staring into their laps.
2020 BMW 520d MSport Touring My Daily
2017 Dacia Logan MCV 1.5DCi Laureate Wifes
1996 Land Rover Defender 90 County SW 300TDi My Toy
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220 3.0 V6 My Other Toy
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

The one that still grinds my gears is the "Oh, I'm doing 60 MPH in the left lane, and you're perfectly legally overtaking me in the right lane? I better speed up, so that you can't" crowd.

Oh, and the "I, being of at least 80 years old, will drive at exactly 40 MPH down these twisty B-roads at peak times so that you can't overtake me, but when we come to a town, I will continue to drive at 40 MPH even though the limit is 30, because I've forgotten how to drive properly or function as a reasonable adult human being" crowd.
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
Welly

Post by Welly »

I quite frequently seem to wind up drivers of better* cars when I torque past them in my 13 year old Grey Volvo.

This week has seen a ridiculous middle lane hogger doing 67mph for miles when lane 1 was clear :frown:

This morning saw TWO separate Woman driving SUV's trying to elbow me around. Oh and if you do drive an SUV or 4 x 4 can you at least try to keep the thing on your side of the road? thank you :frown:
Cars in my care:
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Certainly :cheesy: (does this stupid thing qualify?).

All the time mate, all the cars.

Just now I stopped short at the end of the road behind here to let a lorry/trailer combo turn into the road I was in as it's quite tight. When he was past I started to pull up to the junction, only for the idiot behind him (in a Honda handbag) to follow the line of his trailer and cut across the front of me. No your car isn't that effing big :roll:

Welly

Post by Welly »

Lol, there's also the drivers who are turning right but perform a little 'left' swing just before :? scares the crap out of me. How long do they think the car is? :roll:

Now then: Roundabouts!

I have a long running debate with Mrs_Welly, when I learnt to drive in 1987 :lol: the Highway Code clearly stated that if the roundabout was clear of traffic then you may take the easiest route through it (ignoring marked out lanes etc) now I still do this because I HATE the feeling of going 'around' the outside of the roundabout makes it feel like a bloody fairground ride so where possible I 'straight line' it. Mrs thinks this is wrong.

How does everyone do roundabouts on here?

Mustard mitt I have had a few cars begin to pull out when they see me well over in the roundabout possibly thinking I'm going right instead of straight on :supafrisk:
Cars in my care:
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Welly wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:58 pm Lol, there's also the drivers who are turning right but perform a little 'left' swing just before :? scares the crap out of me. How long do they think the car is? :roll:
I call them the "stiff arm brigade", like their power steering has failed or something...

I only experience 3 roundabouts here, the locals have no idea whatsoever so I think the answer to the question is: very carefully.