Pointy Indicators on modern cars

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Re: Pointy Indicators on modern cars

Post by Doggy »

Now? I can remember some of my friends being taught this nonsense in the 1970's
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
rwb
3.0 24v

Post by rwb »

Indicating on roundabouts is particularly farcical.

I have found that the 508 enforces a minimum of 3 flashes which I find rather irritating.

Current: 407 2.2 HDi 170 & C6 2.7 HDi.
Former: 406 1.9 TD; 406 HDi 90; 407 2.2 160; 307cc 180; 508 HDi 140.
Map of PeugeotForums users offering PP2k
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

My BMW does the three-flash thing if I nudge the indicators - but if I push them the whole way up/down, it will indicate for as long as the stalk is in that position - whether that's just long enough for once, or for as long as 100 times. The three-flash nudge is definitely a feature; it can be enabled or disabled using the iDrive system.

Indicating on roundabouts is really dangerous; *nobody* seems to know how to do it properly, and follows their own unique interpretation. Assuming a basic four-exit, two-lane roundabout, I was instructed to:
  1. be in the left lane and indicating left before reaching the roundabout and exit into the left lane (if I'm taking the first exit)
  2. not indicate on approach and be in the left lane on entry, then indicate left after I pass the first exit and exit into the left lane (if I'm going straight on ahead)
    OR
    not indicate on approach and be in the right lane on entry, then indicate left after I pass the first exit, and exit into the right lane (if I'm going straight on ahead)
  3. be in the right lane indicating right before reaching the roundabout, then keep indicating right until after I've passed the second exit, at which point I should indicate left before reaching my exit, and exit into the right lane (if I'm turning right)
Obviously depends on the number of exits, and lane discipline depends on whether it's a mini-roundabout or a proper two/three lane roundabout.

And what about right-of-way? Number of times I've nearly T-boned some total creep who just shot on to the roundabout without looking is ridiculous. Not even idiots staring at their phone, too; these are your common-or-garden "I don't care" type drivers who just DGAF about rules or anyone's safety but their own.

Roundabouts were covered fairly extensively by every driving instructor I had (I had to stop learning for some time due to running out of money for lessons, and also moving house - so I had three professional driving instructors in total, who all taught me the above). I passed my test in 2007. The depressing part is that it's idiots of *all ages* who don't seem to know how to behave on roundabouts. Professional drivers, too - I nearly T-boned a taxi driver today who entered the roundabout from the second exit and cut me off from reaching the third exit. Didn't even look as he went past.

I even got rear-ended by a guy at a roundabout earlier in the year - as usual, roundabouts all have to have pelican crossings at all exits; I was stopped on the inner lane of the roundabout because my exit's pelican crossing had changed to red. The guy went straight into the back of me, and said he "wasn't expecting me to stop on the roundabout". Well excuse me, but isn't there a great big pane of glass in front of you, and some nice bright red lights on the back of my car, and plenty of bright lighting around the roundabout to help you see better? If your exit is blocked, or the lane you're trying to get into on the roundabout is occupied, stop! Thankfully he admitted liability and paid out-of-pocket for my rear bumper respray, but I could have done without that, thanks.
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Landy - your method is the same as mine. I'm often guilty of 'straight lining' roundabouts, which, in 1987 when I passed my test was an accepted practice "if the roundabout was free of traffic" these days it raises some questions; notably it puts your car towards the centre of the roundabout and can encourage other cars to pull out on you a bit.

Perhaps we should use roundabouts with our hazards flashing....

German roundabouts are ace, no indication on the approach and ONLY indicate as you are about to take your exit off the roundabout, in this way everyone else waiting to join has to wait to see your intentions before they make a move, you can even drive around the whole outside circle without indicating.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
Doggy

Post by Doggy »

French rond points are similar, 'cept about half of them indicate left if they're not taking the next exit...
Come to think of it quite a few don't indicate at all.....
Guess they've seen more of our awful driving. :roll:
Ural4320

Post by Ural4320 »

I guess that our problem will be solved soon enough, look at what I read at work this week : https://tranio.com/articles/how-self-dr ... rket_5386/ : the markets (in this case, real estate) are preparing for self driving cars becoming the norm and radically changing their economical activity, action schemes, priorities etc, and are trying to anticipate what kind of products and services they'll offer for these!

So, if several massive industries are preparing for this change, it means that there's no changing it and that soon, we maybe won't even need these indicators as we won't even be driving by ourselves!
rwb
3.0 24v

Post by rwb »

What is the problem that is solved by self-driving cars?

I like to drive my car.
Is it the idea that us unreliable error-prone clumsy monkeys will be forbidden from operating cars?

Who is at fault when a self-driving car crashes?
(For comparison, what about an airoplane on autopilot?)
If it's the operator then the operator must pay attention to the road and to what the car is doing and surely cannot be relieved of much if any of the task of driving.

Current: 407 2.2 HDi 170 & C6 2.7 HDi.
Former: 406 1.9 TD; 406 HDi 90; 407 2.2 160; 307cc 180; 508 HDi 140.
Map of PeugeotForums users offering PP2k
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

What would happen when your self-driving car is bezzing down a country lane doing 59.999mph and hits black ice on a bend?

I can't see what problems will be solved by SD cars either :?
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
Doggy

Post by Doggy »

Maybe s/d cars will turn their lights on and off at appropriate times?

Having said that, I realise that if they get programmed by the same millennials that can't work a light switch or an indicator stalk at present, then there truly is no hope. :roll:
Ural4320

Post by Ural4320 »

Well, sorry for the formulation of the message; in my head, it was irony, but I, well, forgot to make it noticeable in the text :lol: