Just bought another 406 estate!

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

PeterN
3.0 24v

Just bought another 406 estate!

Post by PeterN »

Will post pictures in due course - when I've taken some!

Peter
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Re: Just bought another 406 estate!

Post by GingerMagic »

Well done Peter, what better car is there to replace a 406 with..?
A 406 of course :cheesy:
Can I hedge a bet on it being a silver 110?
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Where do you keep finding them?
I'm trying to work out what else might do the job.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

This one practically dropped in my lap, its light metallic blue but different to the other one, I thought it was blue when I saw it but when it was here it looked silver, a much paler blue than Moonstone?

2003, 110 Hdi 120 something thousand miles and looks very tidy. My local friendly MOT man told me about it sometime ago but I had just bought a Merc c220 cdi estate with a manual 6 speed gearbox, largely due to the inflated prices they were asking for 406s.

Didn't think anything more about it until last week when the owner phoned me and said he wanted it out of the way due to lack of space and several other cars. I tried hard to find something wrong with it but couldn't, nothing serious anyway, make me an offer he said, £250 I said, tongue in cheek, done! he said.

I didn't really want the hassle but couldn't pass it up at that price.

Peter
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

This one is amazing - the handbrake works, I feel inclined to take it apart and find out why.

Haven't shown the inside because it wants cleaning. :oops:

Peter
Attachments
DSCF2685.JPG
DSCF2684.JPG
DSCF2683.JPG
DSCF2682.JPG
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

That looks an absolute steal - well done Peter :cheesy:
I think it is indeed Moonstone, and your bonnet edge looks excellent..!
I'm not keen on the grey interior trim on the later models, I always replace it with the nice Black Ash variety.
Good luck with this one.

Edit: I wish I had the amount of outside space you have...
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Wow - that's quite a bargain! :shock: Not sure if it's my eyes but it looks to be a couple of different shades but, at that price, who cares?
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Looks really smart, well done Peter!

I'd say that is Moonstone blue. My first 406 was this colour and in virtually mint condition, (cost me exactly £3k more that yours), but I always thought it looked to be different shades of blue. I had never seen a 406 this colour before and wasn't overly impressed at first. Took a while for me to realise what a corker it was.

Hope it gives you many miles of pleasurable ownership. :mrgreen:
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

I wonder what the colour of the other one is then, its a pale metallic blue but several shades darker. Yes there is a variation in the colour, the drivers door looks darker as does the rear passenger door and wing. If they have been sprayed it must have been a long time ago.

Still deciding what to do with it. The wife's car is a GLX which I bought an excellent sort of creamy beige interior for with electric seats, looks quite smart but her car has done about 220 k so thought I might change them over. this is an LX, is the wiring in place for electric seats does anyone know? If not does it just require a 12 volt supply?

Peter
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

I'm pretty sure the LX doesn't have the power connector required for the electric seats but the other connectors are there.. ( I tried to fit GLX seats in an LX a few years back but no power connector to be found, despite tracing the other wires back ) although knowing Peugeot it seems a bit hit and miss for different connectors and cars :roll:
You can run a power supply from the cigarette lighter across to the seats - it's been done before but not by me, maybe steal the connectors from the donor car?
Yellow ones I think.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Why have the 406 prices been over inflated recently? does someone know something we don't ?

That's a beauty anyway, well done, £250.00 is probably a month's PCP finance on a modern euroshitbox :lol:

I haven't seen that view of your 'storage compound' before, it looks ace 8) it that a pair of XM's in the background?
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

The cars that I was buying for £300-400 are now fetching silly money, I think some people have realised just what a good car they are. My son sent me an article someone had written in praise of the 406 and he came to the same conclusion as me, that they are probably the best car Peugeot ever made.

I was watching one on ebay last week, it came on at about £250 I think but the bidding ended at £1350 or thereabouts. There are some on there for silly money, I have seen 'W' and 'X' reg on there for over £2000, I don't think they are likely to get it, they have probably been watching the prices and thought they would jump on the band wagon.

Welly

There are actually four XM's in the shrubbery but they don't belong to me. I stored them temporally for a member of the XM forum about five years ago, they were all street legal when they were parked there but I don't know what they will be like when they are dragged out. He was quite ill for a while so I didn't press him, but I send him a picture of them now and again just to remind him. They don't bother me to much but the wife would like to get rid of them.

Ginger

Thanks for the info, I was going to investigate as the Citroens all seem tho have the additional wiring in place. We have a bit over five acres here so plenty of room for more cars. :wink:

Doggy

As a replacement have you considered a Merc? The W203 series C220 Cdi are very similar to the 406 mechanically, no DPF or DMF from 2000 - about 2007 and are not to bad to work on. I wasn't really looking for one but in view of the 406 prices I was casually looking when this 6 speed manual Merc turned up on the net which I paid £470 for.

It had a few issues but I have dealt with the most important ones and its a nice car. The fuel consumption is about the same as the 406, around 45 mpg round here and 60+ on the motorway driven gently but this is a manual of course - hens teeth come to mind.

Peter
Welly

Post by Welly »

The thing that puts me off the CDi mercs is the injector leakage (black death) any evidence of this on yours? unscrupulous sellers were known to clean it all off and sell it pronto....

As far as I know the fix is a new copper washer and re-tighten?
Cars in my care:
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

Yes I did, I wouldn't have noticed except that I had a terrible clatter from the front which I thought was the timing chain. In order to get the cam cover off you have to remove the injectors, one came out OK and another wasn't completely stuck but two were fairly well carboned up but youtube videos are wonderful.

One showed a chap with the same problem and cured it with a can of carburettor cleaner, I did the same. Apply it round the injector base and leave for a few hours, then repeat as often as necessary, it softens the carbon and by the next day I had them all out.

After letting the cleaner soak in try and rotate the injector with, a long cold chisel applied to the thick part of the base and hit with a soft hammer will usually loosen it enough to allow it to move a Cm or so, once moved apply some more cleaner and let it soak in, this time it will go further down as it will follow the crack you made when you moved the injector, working it backwards and forwards if you can keep spraying and working it until it gets loose enough to pull out.

Worked with mine but that's the only one I have had experience of.

Incidentally the timing chain was fine, the noise is a bearing on something driven by the auxiliary belt now awaiting attention but it drives fine.

Peter
Welly

Post by Welly »

Sounds like you had a bit of luck there with the injectors, like you say some youtube vids are invaluable for DIY 'work around' fixes. To be fair I bet that process is only the same as a main dealer who'd charge ££££££'s for.

Our Merc Vito had a new Aux Belt fitted at the Garage next door, they had to draw a picture of its routing because it was flipping massive and ran all over the place :shock:
Cars in my care: