Anyone know about modern Mini's?

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Anyone know about modern Mini's?

Post by Welly »

One of my Wife's friends has a 2011 Mini Cooper Petrol (non turbo) and has just spent a fortune on a new timing chain at a Garage.

Now the car is losing water (with no visible leakage) the expansion bottle empties every few days, it's running cold all the time, and the radiator cooling fan is running flat out.

All the hoses to/from the rad are cold, they feel soft not over pressured, there's no sign of water in the oil or vise versa.

She contacted the Garage again and they said it 'might' be the water pump leaking (it wasn't changed with the cam chain but then again I don't think it's driven off the chain).

Have these cars got an electronic thermostat? it might be stuck open hence the cold running. Google suggests a coolant temp sensor which might explain the fan running etc?

Any advice welcome....
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
PeterN
3.0 24v

Re: Anyone know about modern Mini's?

Post by PeterN »

If there is no leaking water evident I would strongly suspect the head gasket. Is there any evidence of coolant around the filler cap? You could try putting a receptacle under the end of the overflow pipe and see if coolant is being blown out.

Peter
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Re: Anyone know about modern Mini's?

Post by GingerMagic »

Heater matrix?
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.