Petrol autos

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

Wag
1.8 16v

Petrol autos

Post by Wag »

What's the opinion of petrol autos?
Found this on fleabay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-406- ... 955a6c5a8d
PeterN
3.0 24v

Re: Petrol autos

Post by PeterN »

I personally wouldn't have one as one of the greatest benefits of the manual hdi is the fuel consumption, you won't get anything like the 50 mpg+ that the diesel gives. I wouldn't have an auto anyway because an auto box is one of the few car parts I haven't repaired and if it fails it will write the car off.

But as a car they are still very nice and if you need a petrol car and can afford to run it still a good choice. It won't have much resale value though - at the moment. Look at the 'sold' prices at the bottom of the tick boxes on the left hand side of ebay.

Peter
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Have a look at at the MOT history!

For years the car only did a couple of hundred miles PER YEAR :shock: has had some kind of disabled wheel chair access fitted at some point.

I'd probably go for that as it stands, fuel economy will be poor (probably low to mid 20's on average).

One concern might be the state of the oil galleries and oil sump, with such low use there might be deposits lurking in there :supafrisk:

Looks like the original tyres lasted 16 years until replaced at the last MOT.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
Wag
1.8 16v

Post by Wag »

Hi Welly,
Do you know this car?
You mention disabled access. Theres only minimal images on fleabay, and they show nothing really, I've asked for more but nothing sent yet.
rwb
3.0 24v

Post by rwb »

Petrol auto :lol: :lol:

Current: 407 2.2 HDi 170 & C6 2.7 HDi.
Former: 406 1.9 TD; 406 HDi 90; 407 2.2 160; 307cc 180; 508 HDi 140.
Map of PeugeotForums users offering PP2k
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Wag wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:26 pm Hi Welly,
Do you know this car?
You mention disabled access. Theres only minimal images on fleabay, and they show nothing really, I've asked for more but nothing sent yet.
No I don't, go on the .gov MOT checker service, all the history is there and mileages, one year it did 60 miles :shock:

In the notes the tester found the seatbelt missing on the passenger side so failed it.....then updated the record to confirm a wheelchair adaptation had been made on that side (seat removed) so I assume it was a disabled owner for many years.

I hope it had yearly oil changes, some people still go by mileage which is totally wrong on a car like that.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
Wag
1.8 16v

Post by Wag »

Brilliant, I'll check that out in future. Thanks
V6GTX
1.6 8v

Post by V6GTX »

Mine's a petrol auto and it's been brilliant with over 170k on the clock. The autobox (ZF 4HP20) had a glitch where the 1 > 2 change when cold could be jerky. That was improved after getting a transmission fluid change. On a run the car gives 30+ mpg, usually 34-35 when running steadily on the motorway.
2000 V6 GTX Auto Saloon (ES9J4S) non-mux