1.6HDi DPF tested at 10 years old, 80k miles, how bad is it?

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

1.6HDi DPF tested at 10 years old, 80k miles, how bad is it?

Post by Welly »

Following the massive labour savings on my DIY serving lately; I decided I wanted to find out the condition/levels of the Eolys Fluid and the DPF; having been advised that most PSA dizzlers will need at least a new Eolys 'pouch' at around 80k....

My friendly garage hooked up his Bosch Diagnostic and interrogated the poor thing for clues..... bearing in mind our car primarily does local running about and only ever gets small fuel fill-ups (£20 or £30 a time - I gave up explaining needing to 'fill-er-up') then the Eolys fluid still has 35% left in the factory pouch and the DPF is 67% 'clear' so is 'blocked' by only 33% Ash content.

I reckon that's a good result, and certainly there's nothing that needs any attention for a good while yet, there were zero Engine Faults stored in the ECU, the mechanic was surprised by all this also, we surmised that because I do so many oil changes (every 26 weeks / 4500 miles) then this has helped the emissions to stay low? whatever it is I still strongly recommend anyone with a small dizzler with low oil capacity to double up on oil changes.

I'd also recommend anyone considering buying a DPF-equipped car to get the ECU read before committing so you know where you stand, the above diag cost me £45 - that might have been a 'favour' price as we are very trusting friends and don't discuss costs for stuff like this.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: 1.6HDi DPF tested at 10 years old, 80k miles, how bad is it?

Post by steve_earwig »

Congratulations. I think, I've no idea if 33% full of clinker is good or bad! :oops:

Zero codes sounds a bit fishy to me, surely there's a glowplug code...
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

If it ain't broke......

Sounds good. I guess you've found service routine and set of operating conditions that suit it.
My two dpf equipped 406's both had innards as clean as a whistle, which I put down to their predominantly main road use. While it is undoubtedly true stop-start driving and lots of idling will clog them up, I don't think they really need the exact opposite to survive.

No engine faults is unusual, but not unheard of.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
Bailes1992

Post by Bailes1992 »

Bit late to the party on this one but I've had a very busy couple of months.

Oil is actually more volatile when new, then as the lighter components evaporate/burn off the oil becomes more stable. In theory, the longer you leave the oil the less should be burned through evaporation via the PCV etc. That said, Eolys itself leaves behind un-burn-ables that will eventually lead to the DPF being clogged.

And believe it or not, despite diesels turning oil jet black, petrols are actually harder on oil.

There's a number of companies out there now that will backflush your DPF with some kind of cleaning solution to remove ash. Wonder if there would be any noticeable performance gains by having it done.

Certainly 33% seems a lot to me considering regeneration is usually ready to go at 50%.
2020 BMW 520d MSport Touring My Daily
2017 Dacia Logan MCV 1.5DCi Laureate Wifes
1996 Land Rover Defender 90 County SW 300TDi My Toy
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220 3.0 V6 My Other Toy
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

Bailes1992,

Off topic but how are you finding parenthood?

Things must be going ok for you both as I see by your sig that the wife has a nearly new Jeep
& yourself & spanking new BMW 5er :supafrisk: (runs for cover)
& not one but two toys.

Don't know how you find time mate, I sadly had to come to the decision to sell my two beloved Coupe's
due to lack of time :roll:
A full time somtimes 70 hours a week job, a house & four car's to maintain with 13 & 11 year old boy's
was just not working out :(

All the best to you & yours
DDD.
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Looking at Sam's sig I think he has more than one wife... :shock:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Bailes1992

Post by Bailes1992 »

Parenthood is the single most challenging thing I've done. I was running a bath for the kids last night and could hear a ripping sound in the background, I got to the landing to find my 2 year out carefully peeling the wallpaper off the wall on our landing. :roll: Baby N°2 arrived in April and now we have a 15 week old spaniel/beagle puppy thing. The house is chaos! :lol:

Jeep got stolen last week interestingly. Interestingly as in... who steals a bright yellow poverty spec 108bhp petrol f'ing Jeep Renegade? I had to dig out the ST220 last night so my Wife is back daily driving that. It was nice to get it out for a spin last night.

My Volvo V40 just got too small for two kids and a dog. I started looking at Mondeo-sized cars and while inquiring about a 3 series I found out there is a new 5 series facelift (or LCI as BMW calls them) about to come out and there is a massive field full of brand new pre-LCI 5 series sat in Southampton. I ended up getting a £52,000 520d MSport Touring for around £33k. Because the car should still be worth £17k after 4 years and the interest rate was a measly 1.49% APR the monthly payments were significantly less than that of any other 'large' car I looked at.

I shall have to get some pictures up. I totally fell in love with a carbon black (it's more a dark navy) model with cream leather. With two kids and a puppy, what could possibly go wrong?

I must admit I was telling my Wife a few weeks ago that maybe getting rid of the ST220 was the right thing to do as the BMW was just as fast and just as capable. After having an hour out in the Mondeo last night I can confirm that I was wrong. The ST220 is much much faster, handles just as well and sounds amazing.

Financially, I'm quite lucky. I have a well paying job as does my Wife. I also get a company fuel card so traveling anywhere is a non-issue. I also don't smoke or drink so all my money only goes on cars.
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

Yeah Sam tell me about parenthood :wink:
It doesn't get any easier :lol:, when I bought my 406 my two were 4 & 2 now there 13 & 11 :shock:

We were abit like you two pre the kid, I had quite a well paid job & so did twife.
But when she got pregnant we decided she would be a stay at home mum so that was 25k a year after tax out the window
This hit our household budget very hard ( hence the 406 & my tight fistedness )
We're still paying for it 13 years later, but both myself & the wife are glad she had those first 6 years at home with the boy's

She's a full time T.A now which is good as the money's not bad & she's at school when the boy's are but at home when the
boy's are.

My BMW like yours is a Carbon black with cream leather, not my first choice but it's grown on me.
Mine is also a m-sport but a old 06 e61 535d with just a tad north of 300bhp & 700flb :supafrisk:
But it cost me substantially less than 33k :shock: , in fact I bet my purchase price + 5 year maintenance costs & running
cost's including throwing it away when I'm done are less than your 15-19k loss.

But if I had the disposable income then :) I'd probably do the same.

All the best to you & yours

DDD.
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
Bailes1992

Post by Bailes1992 »

Unfortunately with my job I get the option of a company car (poverty spec Vauxhall Astra/Insignia) or I can opt out and take an allowance. The company I work for are quite strict about what car you can have if you opt-out. There's strict fuel economy and emissions requirements, it must be less than 12 months old when you purchase it and has to be gone before it's 5. I would love to buy an ex-sales-rep, high mileage, motorway munching car... say 3 years old with 100k on the clock like I did with my old '08 Mondeo and just run it into the ground but I wouldn't be allowed to with the company I work for.
Welly

Post by Welly »

It's all about work; the money and our lives I mean.

I fell into Construction Industry Contracting and kinda got stuck with it, I'm a Cost Estimator, Bid Manager, Buyer, Contracts Manager, HR Department, Sales & Purchase Ledger - I've ended up doing the lot for a small company. The industry pay isn't 'bad' but it's not great for what you have to go through and working for small companies that get hit by bad debts and problem contracts all have an effect.

My Wife was a Medical Secretary when we met and when we settled down to have kids she left work......this had two effects fairly quickly, our finances turned to sh*t and her mental state deteriorated.....she tried various other jobs to fit in around school in the next few years but we never really recovered to the point where there's enough cash to have decent cars/holidays.

We stuck with it though and now the kids are in their 20's and independent, now she has found work she likes; 'Support Work' and now as we hit 50 years old we're finally seeing our finances swing back in our favour.

One thing that has worked in my favour is turning my hand to property and car maintenance, apart from Plastering there's not much I cannot do myself - this was born out of necessity and I'm very grateful now - in fact the only reason we live in amongst Doctors and Architects on our street is my full-blown refurb and extension of a previous property in 2001 - bought for £80k and sold for £200K in 2003 :shock: I can still remember opening the cheque for £120k in my name....this money went straight into buying a Brand-New house with a modest Mortgage.

We've still spent the last 15 years on modest 'combined incomes' and I did used to get upset at why I couldn't commit to finance a newer car....then when the Volvo kept providing the reliable service and me keeping it in as-new condition I started to think 'f*ck it' I don't need to prove anything to anyone and I don't care what my neighbours situations are....so I've kept the same car for 11 years, concentrated on enjoying family life, being modest and respectful with money and we have a nice family unit, very close and honest and both my kids have never given me a moments worry - now that is worth a lot.
Cars in my care:
Bailes1992

Post by Bailes1992 »

The best decision I made was getting an apprenticeship. The majority people who I left school with took the university route, a lot of them work in call centres, or those with 'careers' are lagging behind me in terms of salary, house, cars, benefits etc.

The apprenticeship itself taught me a lot of hands-on skills I wouldn't have otherwise learned and I can turn my hand to most things. Again, I haven't tried plastering, I usually opt to take walls back to brick, line them with plasterboard, tape & joint them.

I wouldn't choose to own a brand new car, it's my company policy that has taken me down that route. I take home an extra £568 a month by not having a company car by the time you take into account my allowance and the tax I would be paying on a company car. My 5 series costs me £537/month so I don't make on the deal at all, but better than driving around in an Astra. :lol: When I was shopping around I looked at a new Ford Mondeo Estate with a 2.0 diesel engine, an autobox and four wheel drive... Ford wanted a whopping £670/month :shock:

I can't see us replacing our Renegade, my Wife is more excited about driving the Mondeo than she is any new car. :lol:
Bailes1992

Post by Bailes1992 »

Thought I'd chuck some pictures of the '5 up :supafrisk:
Attachments
IMG_20200812_163136.jpg
IMG_20200810_081647.jpg
IMG_20200804_135859.jpg
Welly

Post by Welly »

Blooming hell that looks a nice cabin 8)
Cars in my care:
Bailes1992

Post by Bailes1992 »

It's a fantastic place to sit and much miles. I'm gutted about this whole Covid thing because I'd love to spend a week on the continent with it.

It's a 190bhp diesel with an additional electric motor thats connected to the crank which generates electricity during braking and assists the engine during acceleration. Think it's 19hp? It doesn't feel particularly fast to drive, certainly not as fast as the figures suggest. However, the speedo tells another story.

My second V40 was actually better spec'd than the 5'er but the 5'er is just in a totally different league.
Welly

Post by Welly »

I'm staggered by the cost of new cars, I saw a Video recently explaining that manufacturers have increased the list price of cars in line with the popularity of PCP deals having 'balloon' future values etc. they are pretty much forcing PCP on us which is a scheme in itself under scrutiny by financial authorities due to not being clear enough about potential pitfalls and hidden costs.

Years ago a Brand-New Astra would've been about £8-10k, now it's about £20k - I'm not convinced the cost has followed normal inflation rates.

That's certainly a nice car for a young whipper-snapper like yourself and I'm sure you'll enjoy having it, I've not ridden in a BMW for years but am told the suspension set up is superb from Factory and far higher quality than Volvo/Ford etc
Cars in my care: