How Long Can Diesel Be Stored For?

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

tonyredz
1.8 8v

How Long Can Diesel Be Stored For?

Post by tonyredz »

Hello,

I bought about 25 litres of diesel around last September & have kept it in a plastic container in my shed ever since. I was out of the country for a couple of months and was not using my car much so it got forgotten. I've got a 406 Hdi 90 hp. So I've had it for around 8 months now & there's no way of knowing when it was produced.

I was wondering if it is still OK to start using this diesel now? Some websites like RAC say OK to use Diesel after 6-12 months. Others say it can start to go off after 30 days. Could Diesel which has been stored for 8 months cause engine damage?

What should I look out for appearance wise, smell etc.

Thanks for any advice.
PeterN
3.0 24v

Re: How Long Can Diesel Be Stored For?

Post by PeterN »

From my experience almost indefinitely, its not volatile like petrol so evaporates very little. I think if its in bright sunlight you may get things growing in it but kept dark and cool and looks clear it shouldn't be a problem.

Peter
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

You can buy diesel off the shelf so to speak - and at work outs is stored in a locked outdoor storage and I dread to think how long the cans at the back have been there...

Diesel is oil really, so won't evaporate or go stale like petrol - as Peter says I wouldn't worry unless it's years old...
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

I think diesel should be ok - Master Milo is still using the diesel that came in his tank and that was parked up for 28 years... :shock:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.