2.1 TD - Bosch Conversion

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

2.1 TD - Bosch Conversion

Post by FarmerPug »

Are there still many tinkering at old 406s on here?

The 2.1 TD although it ran reasonably well, it still has the Lucas EPIC on it, it got through an aux belt every week so in need of a new tensioner and idler, while looking at that the next step was to inspect the cambelt, and that led to pulling all off and plonking on a Bosch pump from a 1994 405 1.9 TD engine sitting in the shed.

The car was running ok, but had some odd quirks, sudden rise in engine speed, erratic idle, and it marked its territory with diesel. The loss of the code panel is regrettable but outweighed by the simplicity and potential to run veg oil the bosch pump offers.Taking the lucas pump out it seems like the wires going into the top of it have very brittle insulation with several places where the insulation has fell off, not sure if that alone was what made them so infamous, but i suppose any lucas pump on any xud has not been looked upon favourably.
IMG_9123 (1).jpeg
(1.42 MiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG_9197 (1).jpeg
(1.51 MiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG_9198 (1).jpeg
(1.33 MiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG_9092 (1).jpeg
(1.3 MiB) Not downloaded yet
So far just following the many old threads on here, need to get the correct socket to remove and install the injectors, the injector seals and figure out what wires from the Lucas setup can be removed, at the very least a 12v supply will get the car to start.
Would be nice to figure out a way to get the rev counter to work,and hopefully the rest of the instruments still work after the conversion. Once its running presumably the pump may need some fettling as it was originally setup for a 1.9 TD
PeterN
3.0 24v

Re: 2.1 TD - Bosch Conversion

Post by PeterN »

You will probably need the Bosch injection pipes as well, I changed one on a BX and it wouldn't run with the Lucas ones, the injection order is different, fine when I changed them.

Peter