Welcome to the 406 owners club!!

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

Nicodemus
1.8 16v

Re: Welcome to the 406 owners club!!

Post by Nicodemus »

Lo each :)

Yup, I'm a taxi driver (by necessity rather than career choice). Been doing it for a couple of years now. Am lucky to work with a good bunch of peeps in a small company somewhere well to the eastishness of supa's stamping ground. I can wholeheartedly endorse supa's posts about long hours, cr@p money and the weird way the job gets under your skin, becoming quite compulsive in spite of things like:

I've been pulled out of the car in a headlock by a couple of guys who then tried to force my head into one guys crotch and who then said they were "just messing about matey, ain't you got no sense of humour?"

I've had people hold me and the car hostage (sort of) "cos we need a six seater mate and we ain't letting you go till we get one buddy."

I had four big well pissed guys in the car one evening about 6pm, middle aged like me, took exception to my southern accent and spent the next 10 mins poking fingers in my ears and trying to provoke a response by claiming I had to pay my better half for s@x and so on and so on.

I've had men and women display their genitalia.

Passengers who are so big they overflow the passenger seat and you can't change gear without pushing a big roll of flesh out of the way. So heavy the rear mudflaps kept brushing the ground and the steering was a tad on the light side.

And so on and on - but it is still horribly compelling and occasionally hysterically funny.

It is balanced to a certain extent by some folk you meet who overcome the most awfull problems with grace and courage and are just plain nice.

Have been lurking here for some time and picked up some very useful gen for which I thank you all.

The only tip I can offer is:-
If your door makes horrid clicking noises when opening or closing, make sure the door check strap hasn't come loose at one or both ends. On my D9 there are a couple of studs fixed to the check mechanism in the door which then secure the mech to the door with a nut on each. A deep 10mil socket should nip em up nicely.

ttfn
52 HDI(90) 406 saloon. Sadly no longer owned, bless her she got near 200,000 miles and I had to sell her on, she was still going strong.
Airfix test pilot and part time formula 1 driver for scalextrix
teamster1975
Site Admin & Mad Biker!

Post by teamster1975 »

Pleased to meet you taxi! :D
I can well imagine Saturday nights in your game, not a pleasant thought at closing time :shock:
1996 406 1.8LX Got a bad case of hydro lock!
1996 406 Executive 2.0 Turbo XU10J2TE No longer hangin' on in there :(
1997 Honda CB500V
2003 Volvo V40 1.8 GDi SE killed by a nutter in a beemer 5 series
2008 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Titanium X

"Always look on the bright side of life, dedo, dedo dedodedo"
Nicodemus
1.8 16v

Post by Nicodemus »

Thank you Team :)

Yup Saturday nights can get interesting - but it's the night when you try to make up earnings due to other days being crap so it's a real grin and bear it time...

Can be very funny sometimes - couple of weeks back I watched a twentysomething girl drunkenly (and deliberately) do forward rolls all the way down a street. And a few weeks before that a young couple staggered out of a shop doorway, she with her legs around his waist and he leaned her on the bonnet of my car momentarily, laughed and carried her off - I suddenly realised they were erm.... coupled, connected, making the beast with two backs :lol:

ttfn
52 HDI(90) 406 saloon. Sadly no longer owned, bless her she got near 200,000 miles and I had to sell her on, she was still going strong.
Airfix test pilot and part time formula 1 driver for scalextrix
teamster1975
Site Admin & Mad Biker!

Post by teamster1975 »

taxigit wrote:Can be very funny sometimes - couple of weeks back I watched a twentysomething girl drunkenly (and deliberately) do forward rolls all the way down a street. And a few weeks before that a young couple staggered out of a shop doorway, she with her legs around his waist and he leaned her on the bonnet of my car momentarily, laughed and carried her off - I suddenly realised they were erm.... coupled, connected, making the beast with two backs
:lol: :lol: :lol:
1996 406 1.8LX Got a bad case of hydro lock!
1996 406 Executive 2.0 Turbo XU10J2TE No longer hangin' on in there :(
1997 Honda CB500V
2003 Volvo V40 1.8 GDi SE killed by a nutter in a beemer 5 series
2008 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Titanium X

"Always look on the bright side of life, dedo, dedo dedodedo"
SimonTNUK
1.8 16v

Post by SimonTNUK »

I missed this bit when I joined :roll:

I got my 406 D9 hdi 90 from a place in Edinburgh.
It's an ex-police pool car, I got it dirt cheap cos there was no radio fitted, but a huge bunch of cables to power up all their communication equipment. :?

I'm a long distance truck driver, delivering stuff from Scotland to Germany or Switzerland.
A Euro-land tourist, but being paid to do it 8) 8) .

Occasionally I post a diary in here.
Simon.

2000 2.0l hdi 90.
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

SimonTNUK wrote:I'm a long distance truck driver, delivering stuff from Scotland to Germany or Switzerland.
Always wanted to ask one of you guys... What are your thoughts on cars getting in your slipstream on the motorways?

I used to drive my 406 petrol turbo 110 miles a day to work and back, and the economy boost from doing 56 right up the arse of a truck was substantial - almost 50mpg. It wasn't reckless; I'd always move to the right of the lane on a right-hand bend and back off slightly to the left on a left so I could gauge the road ahead and let myself be known to the trucker, I'd slow down if possible when being overtaken by an LGV and force myself a large escape window when another truck got too close to me rear. Oh and always made room for trucks that might want to be where I was (merging into the motorway, or lane 2 traffic slowing down)

Does that sort of behavior piss you guys off, or is it just 'meh'? :)
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
SimonTNUK
1.8 16v

Post by SimonTNUK »

mjb wrote:
SimonTNUK wrote:I'm a long distance truck driver, delivering stuff from Scotland to Germany or Switzerland.
Always wanted to ask one of you guys... What are your thoughts on cars getting in your slipstream on the motorways?

< snip >

Does that sort of behavior piss you guys off, or is it just 'meh'? :)
We just think, " another *** skateboard :roll: , I hope his/her brakes n reactions are as good as they think they are".

Cos if your reactions ain't that good, you will stop under my back bumper (anti-under run bar). You might live, you might not. Either way, I'm going to be delayed, which does annoy me.
Bare in mind the old imperial braking distance chart.
At 56 mph, from your brain realising you need to stop quickly, you will travel 56 feet before your foot hits the stop pedal.
(I can't do these new metric braking distances) :oops:
My truck may be fully loaded and weigh 44 tonnes, but I might be empty and weigh a mere 15 tonnes.
My brakes are designed to bring 44 tonnes to a fast controlled stop.
I've got electronically controlled main brakes, with ABS on all 6 axles.
I've also got 3 separate braking systems.

Are you that sure of yourself :?: :?:
Simon.

2000 2.0l hdi 90.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

I try to keep as much distance from everything else on the road. "Only a fool breaks the two second rule". Or is it three seconds? :? Can't remember but I heard that a long time ago and it's a way to keep a reasonable distance from the vehicle in front - pick a point and, when the lump of steel in front passes it, start saying it to yourself, you should finish when the front of your car gets to the same point. This would apply to the arse end of an artic of course. And if some tw@ cuts in between you have to pull back further, no matter how annoyed you are - just think about how much more likely you are to arrive in one piece than they are, and maybe plan how you'd go about fitting two .50 calibre machine guns on your car.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

SimonTNUK wrote:We just think, " another *** skateboard :roll: , I hope his/her brakes n reactions are as good as they think they are".

Cos if your reactions ain't that good, you will stop under my back bumper (anti-under run bar). You might live, you might not. Either way, I'm going to be delayed, which does annoy me.
Actually most trucks I got behind looked like I'd just run into the bar instead of going under (I didn't like the ones that looked like they'd take my head off :shock: ), and I figure the closer I was when the truck were to drop anchor, the smaller the speed differential and gentler the impact. I reckon if a 44t truck with a normal to low rear bar slammed his brakes on from 56mph with a 406 1 car length behind, the 406 would suffer a few bumper scratches and come to a halt without the driver having to push the brake
My truck may be fully loaded and weigh 44 tonnes, but I might be empty and weigh a mere 15 tonnes.
I was actually pretty aware of roughly how heavy the trucks I followed were (downhill speeds seemed to be a better indicator than uphill on the M6), that I could out-brake and steer away from a heavy vehicle after initial impact, and that I'd be in sh*t if an empty truck decides to jam his brakes on and start bouncing his trailer all over the road (or on my head) so I never got that close to ones I thought were empty (2 or more large car lengths instead of 1)
My brakes are designed to bring 44 tonnes to a fast controlled stop.
I've got electronically controlled main brakes, with ABS on all 6 axles.
So that's 44t over 22 wheels, 2t per wheel (probably almost double on the braking wheels as I imagine it's only the rear axles that'd do much to stop yourself jack-knifing). I've got under 1t on each of my braking wheels ergo I stop quicker. Empty trucks actually look like they're the worst for stopping as the trailer spends more time in the air than with its wheels on the ground.
Are you that sure of yourself :?: :?:
I'm confident I know of my limits, my cars limits, and most importantly I'm absolutely sure of the risk factor at any given time.

It wasn't the safest way to drive, but it wasn't the most dangerous and I literally couldn't afford to drive to work at 70...
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
Gordyb

Post by Gordyb »

Greetings members!

Joined the board last week and pick up my 406 tomorrow - clearly a real newbie but looking forward to the experience. :roll:

GordyB
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Hi Gordy, welcome aboard :cheesy: Hope you're new motor's all you're hoping for... (hmm, "experience"...)
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Gordyb

Post by Gordyb »

Hi Earwig major,

It is a 406 2.0Hdi glx - 52 plate 64k on clock - excellent condition in and out, new front discs/pads/tyres/ serviced/ belt changed at 45k, local owner, good runner.
Needed/wanted something a bit bigger than a y astra 1.4 for Ikea runs..
Happy days

GordyB
dantae
1.8 8v

Post by dantae »

hi im phil from rct in south wales, i have just bought my first 406 but i have had a 405 and a 306, the 406 is called puggsly and she is a 2.0 turbo exutive saloon with leather trim, standard apart from a dump valve and bleed valve which was on her when bought, got her on ebay and love it to bits, blew the doors off a bmw last niht on way back from cardiff, he was trying to push me all the way up the concret road, still puggsly sent him home to mama, not bad for a 1996 car
tricky1976
1.6 8v

Post by tricky1976 »

Hello everyone i work has maintence engineer in a large factory in louth lincolnshire this is my first time i owned a peugeot i brought it June'08 it only cost me £3 yes this is not a mistake it did cost me £3 well the truth is i had 5 numbers come up on the lottery it was'nt a large pay out and my old mondeo looked old and about knackerd and i spotted this lovely beast sat on the forecourt and i fell in love with it straight away and it was ideal for my 3 kids plenty of room inside it. I hope i wont have many probs in the future with it touch wood because the peugeot dealer in louth went out of buisness and closed down so our nearest dealer is in Grimsby about 16 mile away boo hoo :cry: i hope i can help out and share any experiance i have to share with others :D
d9 '99 2.0 glx
axl
1.6 8v

Post by axl »

:)

been a member almost since the start of this forum, but mainly a passive member. but now it will change since i finally drive a 406 1.8 16v break d9 1999 myself ;). and this is the only 406 forum around!.

i work at a peugeot dealership in the netherlands, and main work is installing aftermarket equipment and (trying) to solve problems with multiplex (non-engine) and problems with multiplex versus aftermarket.
And for myself i specialize in retrofitting OEM equipment in the full mux models.

done not many mods yet to this car just some small ones.
-installed the outside temp meter
-still busy with installing the OBC option. (stalk and wires for the stalk and the ECU signal installed, but trying to find a dotmatrix display)

-old fashion vdo dayton ms5400 navigation system
-ftf screen in the co-driver sunvisor
-tft screen in my headrest for my daughter
-iomega TV link USB as media player.

nexted will be
-DVB-t tuner
-rear windows electric
-stinger DSI unit.

axl