HDi oil change - Welly style!

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

HDi oil change - Welly style!

Post by Welly »

The last time I did an oil change I swore NEVER AGAIN!! it's just not good on your driveway/jacks especially with an undertray fitted.

This time then I set about a new and interesting way of dealing with this particular shitty job.

This morning I went to my mechanic, who sloshed in a bottle of Forte Flush into the hot engine and we let it idle for 15 mins or so then he made me a cuppa and we chatted about cars for a while...

He whipped the old filter off in no time with his strap/socket doodad and rammed loads of rags down there to protect the compressor and to stop the mess.

Now to get the beast up on those ramps and drain the sump. We agreed to leave my 'Heath Robinson' fixed undertray alone and simply let the oil piss out over the back of the tray for later cleaning up.

*Ooh, better stand back a bit in case any oil splashes on my clothes, that would be awfull...

All finished, and with 4.5ltrs of new 10W/40 semi-syn and a purflux filter we chatted some more - over a nice cuppa

There, job done, and I did naff all :mrgreen: Oh and we reset the ECU light too (which was the throttle pot again!).

The cost? £40.00 8)

Now that's what I call an oil change.

Fin.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
TooT
3.0 24v

Post by TooT »

Lazy git :x

But then why not, i would pay the 40 notes to stand and drink tea too while someone gets the greif 8)

But why is it so hard mine was a piece of piss to do?
2006 207 GT THP 150
mbell666
3.0 24v

Post by mbell666 »

Did mine at the weekend, took me 2 1/2 hours! I did spend at least 1 1/2 hours inside eating my lunch and watching GP qualifying.

Haven't got my undertray on at the minute cos i've still got sump gasket leak :(, which saved a lot of messing. The oil filter is easy to get off (got a nice claw tool for it) and i just slip in a ice cream tub to catch the oil from the filter.

Parts cost me about £20 and was able to give it plenty of time to let the old oil drain out. Bet you mechanic didn't leave it draining for 2 hours (and run clean oil through it)!
1997 Honda Prelude 2.2 VTi
Previously - 1999 406 Executive HDI
jameslxdt
3.0 24v

Re: HDi oil change - Welly style!

Post by jameslxdt »

Welton wrote:Oh and we reset the ECU light too (which was the throttle pot again!).
was the fault code something like coeherance on track one and track two?
Peugeot wrote:what are you worried about? we made car that lasted 10 years"..."Zat is very goode non? :|
FAQ - 406 D8 petrol (excl. V6) running and starting problems
Welly

Post by Welly »

jameslxdt wrote:
Welton wrote:Oh and we reset the ECU light too (which was the throttle pot again!).
P0221 Throttle Position 2 Sensor Circuit
P1404 Additional-/Pre-Heating Circuit Seen this before and we concluded it was nothing really relevant?
P1403 Additional Heating Circuit Seen this before too!

Any ideas on these James?
Cars in my care:
Captain Jack
3.0 24v

Post by Captain Jack »

Welly, you should put your little stories about oil changes and lawnmowers on Facebook :P
2003 - 2008: 1998 Peugeot 406 2.1 TD 110bhp LX Saloon
2008 - 2009: 2004 Honda Accord 2.2 CDTI 136bhp Executive Saloon
2009 - 2013: 2002 Peugeot 406 2.0 HDI 110bhp Executive Saloon
2013 - 2021: 2007 Peugeot 407 2.2 HDI 170bhp Executive Saloon (mapped to 213bhp :twisted:)
2021 - ????: 2016 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi 180bhp Titanium
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

£40?

http://www.national.co.uk/winter_promot ... -sep07.gif :D

Their coffee machine also outputs liquid that looks a bit more like tea/coffee than that eggy-milk looking stuff that you appear to be drinking welly :P
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
Welly

Post by Welly »

But £40.00 included Forte flush, oil and 'purflux' filter and the diagnostic check and de-code :P

I also got to inspect all under the car and discuss the engine mount change and we noticed the front discs and pads were low (on the inside of the wheel).

Also, because we were waiting around for the parts guy to deliver the filter my sump was left to drain for ages and ages 8)

And, m, didn't national tyres over-fill your oil once? I would prefer a spare 1ltr top up if they are that generous rather than an extra litre in the sump :P

But you are right about the Tea :cry:
Cars in my care:
STALLED
The moderator down under

Post by STALLED »

Nice mug - did ya nick it? :cheesy:
1997 406 D8 ST Manual 2.0L!

steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Oil change? Pah! You know it's gonna get messy so wear gloves and have a stack of newspaper and rags ready, investing in some sort of drip tray wouldn't go amiss either. Use a strap or chain wrench on the filter too, you're not very likely to get it undone with your hands (and never, never, never hammer a screwdriver through it! :insane: )

You want a bastard of a job? I changed the brake fluid on the D9. Even using an Easy Bleed it was a pig, the bleed nipples all leaked and I kept getting covered in the stuff - YOYOYOY are these cars still using DOT4????? Fortunatly I have a sink in my garage so was able to wash my hands about 35 times and the moment I'd finished the car was outside being washed.

In 2010 it's going to Pug...
jameslxdt
3.0 24v

Post by jameslxdt »

Welton wrote:
jameslxdt wrote:
P0221 Throttle Position 2 Sensor Circuit
P1404 Additional-/Pre-Heating Circuit Seen this before and we concluded it was nothing really relevant?
P1403 Additional Heating Circuit Seen this before too!

Any ideas on these James?
as its a P code its hard to say, but as its mentioning circuit 2 im pretty sure the fault lies with your ecu harness plug, have you ever replaced the throttle pot?
Peugeot wrote:what are you worried about? we made car that lasted 10 years"..."Zat is very goode non? :|
Welly

Post by Welly »

jameslxdt wrote:as its a P code its hard to say, but as its mentioning circuit 2 im pretty sure the fault lies with your ecu harness plug, have you ever replaced the throttle pot?
The throttle pot was changed by a Peugeot Dealer 2 years ago.
Cars in my care:
jameslxdt
3.0 24v

Post by jameslxdt »

well they are very common on the 110 HDi, so i wouldnt rule it out completley, but as your getting a fault on circuit 2, rather than analog faulty signal or a PWM faulty signal fault code then im sure the fault is as i said above with the harness plug, i would pull the plug off and have a good look at the pins with a magnifying glass