A rare beauty

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Re: A rare beauty

Post by FarmerPug »

my dad had a 2L fiat 132 and said it went like a rocket though was it just quick back then?
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

FarmerPug wrote:my dad had a 2L fiat 132 and said it went like a rocket though was it just quick back then?
130 ish bhp, iirc,
they wouid make brandnew tyres into bald ones rather quickly :lol:
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

Doggy wrote:Don't be too hard on the A110 Westminster, (so called as it's 2912 cc straight 6 produced 110 bhp gross, or something like 77 bhp as it's measured today). It was much more about smoothness than speed.

I did manage to get one of these out of shape going over the crest of a hill on a bendy wet road at about 80 & somehow kept it out of the scenery, mainly by treating that huge wheel like an expensive piece of crystal. :shock:

Most things were much worse - Austin made A30's for example. IIRC a 2.25 litre petrol Landy took 40 seconds +, (the diesel couldn't reach 70, 0-60 was measured in minutes).

My first Poxhall Viva had a top speed of about 77, but was really nippy & could do 0-60 in a fraction under 20s. :roll:

Not everything was slow though, my bro's 1962 Jaguar 3.8 mkII managed 125 mph & 0-60 in 8.5 sec. (according to the Motor roadtest). In the early 70's it blew just about everything into the weeds, including new Rovers & Triumphs, (the Audis & BMWs of that period). He paid £80 for it!
Lol, the old vivas my dad used to buy them & sort of mod them and sell them on,
irember changing clutch plates on them at 12yr old most probs why ive got Hernias now, :(
from what irember the viva wasnt abad car (carb problems ), very ugly but by dad used to go to scrapyards and buy front ends of vauxhall shuv its and they went on the vivas, looked kinda of good
the Rostyle wheels looked cool too,
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

A mate of mine had a Magnum. I wasn't allowed old cars because they were dangerous (some things never change :roll: ) which is why I was driving about in fairly new Marinas. Hold on, that doesn't sound right, it's like saying fairly new fossils :?

That's a nice old Riley, I'm sure the seats where like that when they were new because I never saw red leather looking any different. That would be a... RMA? Just guessing here but I think it's too new to be named after a bird.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

lozz wrote:
FarmerPug wrote:my dad had a 2L fiat 132 and said it went like a rocket though was it just quick back then?
130 ish bhp, iirc,
he said that it was very comfy and for its time very well equipped, but the handling became an issue after a coulpe of years, which turned out to be the rear axle mounting points had broke off, although this was fixed and the car was not too bad, here is a 1.8 version:
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/deta ... 3-10946629

i suppose what killed off these old italian cars was the rust, but thats here in our cold climate, are they as rare over in italy?
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

steve_earwig wrote:A mate of mine had a Magnum. I wasn't allowed old cars because they were dangerous (some things never change :roll: ) which is why I was driving about in fairly new Marinas. Hold on, that doesn't sound right, it's like saying fairly new fossils :?

That's a nice old Riley, I'm sure the seats where like that when they were new because I never saw red leather looking any different. That would be a... RMA? Just guessing here but I think it's too new to be named after a bird.
Your right mate, its a rma, much to new to be a kez
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

FarmerPug wrote:
lozz wrote:
130 ish bhp, iirc,
he said that it was very comfy and for its time very well equipped, but the handling became an issue after a coulpe of years, which turned out to be the rear axle mounting points had broke off, although this was fixed and the car was not too bad, here is a 1.8 version:
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/deta ... 3-10946629

i suppose what killed off these old italian cars was the rust, but thats here in our cold climate, are they as rare over in italy?
ithink polski ended up with all the fiat bits and built something simalar,
iremeber buying one for £50 or so, it was a newish car but prehistoric we used it in the fields no one wanted them as roadcars way to thirsty, brakes where crap and steering mega heavy,
carnt remeber what they named the polski but it was a clone of the 132
waue1978
HDi don't believe it!

Post by waue1978 »

lozz wrote: Lol, the old vivas my dad used to buy them & sort of mod them and sell them on,
irember changing clutch plates on them at 12yr old most probs why ive got Hernias now, :(
from what irember the viva wasnt abad car (carb problems ), very ugly but by dad used to go to scrapyards and buy front ends of vauxhall shuv its and they went on the vivas, looked kinda of good
the Rostyle wheels looked cool too,
Sounds like a cheapskate way of making a droop-snoot Firenza...
2000/X Peugeot 406 110 HDi LX Family 93k to 2000/W BMW 530D SE Auto 84k to 2003/03 Peugeot Partner Hdi Escapade 98k to 2003/53 Vauxhall Zafira DTi Elegance 74k

FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

about fast vauxhalls:
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

does the listing text seem a bid odd?
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

FarmerPug wrote:about fast vauxhalls:
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

does the listing text seem a bid odd?
£19,995 :shock: Jaw drop
wouid love that but thats feckin expensive, :mrgreen:
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

it is a classic less than 1000 made, and not all were rhd vauxhalls.
If the lotto numbers come up eh.
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

FarmerPug wrote:it is a classic less than 1000 made, and not all were rhd vauxhalls.
If the lotto numbers come up eh.
lotto?
ive more chance winning at the bookies mate, :(

Nice motor but is that worth its money, Hmm, idont think it is,
ithink that will be up forsale for along while,
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Not looked recently, but when I had my 24V Carlton, (2003 ish), that would have been really cheap.

Quite a beast - 370 bhp, 190 mph.....
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

its probably worth it in the condition its in and considering how rare they were.
did anyone ever take a senator and make a lotus senator?
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Don't think so, but they did make a few with 4.0 n/a versions which destroyed gearboxes fairly quickly.

I always fancied marrying the Holden 3.6v6 ohv block to Omega 24V heads, but the idea never got past the drawing board......
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)