A rare beauty

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Re: A rare beauty

Post by highlander »

steve_earwig wrote:Aren't Mazzer engines chain cams?
Apparently there's a chain at the rear of the engine which drives the inlet cams. This needs to be replaced every 48,000 miles, and this must be done with the engine out. The book time for this job is 30 hours. I just had my clutch and brake servo replaced, and that was 8 hours at £52 per hour = £416 for labour (plus VAT), and that was an eyewatering bill. 30 hours would be £1560 - that's the labour price only. I don't know about the costs for parts.

At the front of the engine, there's a timing belt which drives the exhaust cams. This can be done with the engine in, and needs to be done every 24,000 miles. Though this is at the front of the engine, and shouldn't be as space-restrictive as the timing belt on a 406 V6, so should take less time to do.

If you were planning on owning one of these and using it as a daily driver with 12,000 mile annual average, the engine would need to come out every four years, and the timing belt would need to be changed every two years. The chain would therefore cost you £390 per year to maintain (£1560 divided by 4).

However - modern Maseratis are apparently not as labour-intensive; nowhere near the use-it-two-weeks-a-year garage queens they used to be. The GranTurismo and Quattroporte with the 4.2 litre Ferrari-designed V8 lump apparently only has one timing chain, and no timing belt, and the chain interval is greater. No idea if it's an engine-out job to change it though.
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Er, I'll cross them off my bucket list then :?

I only thought they were chain cams because the SM is, also back of engine, also engine out. And there my interest ends.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

highlander wrote: >all that stuff<
Sod that, I'm ooot.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work