Good deal or not??

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

xplosiv
2.0 Turbo

Good deal or not??

Post by xplosiv »

Hi,

Decided to part exchange the 406 for a 407. Does the following sound like a good deal or not?

Part exchange for my Peugeot 406 GLX HDi (110) with sat nav 85K on the clock = £2,000 on a 51 plate.

And the newer car is a Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi (136bhp) SE saloon with 21K on the clock on a 54 plate so after part exchange the new car would be £5,500 with years road tax, MOT service and 1yr Peugeot warranty and only had one owner. I will probaly end up getting two free front tyres as they will fail the MOT :)

Is there any known faults i should be looking for ? (i already know about the ball joints – need changing ever 40K)

Andy
407 HDi 136 SE (Iron Grey) :)
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: Good deal or not??

Post by steve_earwig »

Christ knows, that's peanuts to over here. I had a quick squint at Honest John, apart from the aforementioned ball joints the egr can screw up if it's driven by grandma and the throttle spindles can wear out, which is kind of high praise as this is the site that makes the 406 sound like it's only devine intervention that could keep one going.
Last edited by steve_earwig on Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
trem1
3.0 24v

Post by trem1 »

clutch is suspect had mine changed under warranty, get it nice and warm go for a spin up the motorway cruise in fifth at about fifty, floor it at watch the rev counter if it rises a bit quicker than the road speed its starting to slip, if theres any sign and i do mean any sign get it back and sorted,
when you get it back if its stood overnight check the first press of the pedal, if it feels low at first but then ok theres air in the system, complain and you may get a new slave cylinder fitted(i did) ball joints shouldnt be too bad if you treat it right over speed bumps and off kerbs etc.

word of warning tho be a bit careful in multi-storeys cos that front bumper is low and does catch(i even had to reverse down one :oops: )my drivers window was slow to raise but took it back and the sprayed it with some magic stuff and been no bother since

if i can be any more help just ask 8) 8) 8)

2004 Iron Grey 407se 136bhp......Written Off
2006 Moonstone blue 407 se 136 bhp.....Written off
2006 silver 407 SW..........replacement
GeordieBoy
3.0 24v

Post by GeordieBoy »

Save ya money and buy something else. Its French, so it aint gonna be that good or reliable. It has worse electrics than the 406 D9.

Buy a VW Passat or a BMW 320D instead.
UK Open Drift Championship 2011 Driver #80
Vehicles I own:-
1999 S Peugeot 406 LX 1.9TD (90% WVO, 10% Petrol)
2000 W Ford Transit LWB High Roof 2.5D
1997 R E36 BMW 328i Saloon (Drift/Track Car)
1995 N E36 BMW 328i Saloon (Spare Parts Car)
SOLD --- 2001 Y 406 GTX 2.0 HDi 110bhp
xplosiv
2.0 Turbo

Post by xplosiv »

HI,

Not a massive fan of the Passats and cannot afford a BMW.My dad has a Peugeot 407 SW on a 54 plate which has done 70K with no problems at all. And i like the way the thing drives.

Not read about any electronic problems although the passats seem to have reliability issues and not to mention the cost for parts so that is a big no no. My mechanic thinks either the 407 or a mondeo but they have injector issues etc.

i have looked at prices for the clutch and a few other things (cam belt)i have learnt from owning the 6, the parts are alot cheaper and the labour alot less as the engine is much more accessible. I did look at other cars but i need a large car like the 407 as i do loads of kayaking.

Passat – Rubbish to drive, and look rubbish (IMO)
Mondeo – I would have to get the old shape and they have the same engine the 407 has, and much of the same electronics so may as well go for the 407
Skoda Octovia – No
Mer C Class – Cost loads to buy and parts etc cost
BMW 3 – Cost loads to buy (with low mileage) and cost tonnes to repair and service
Toyota – Not a chance they look sh*t
Honda – To expensive
Citroen – is Peugeot so no real difference

NOTE; - Do the 2.0L 136 modles all have the over-boost on them or is this an extra?

Andy
Last edited by xplosiv on Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

xplosiv wrote:Citroen – is Peugeot so no real difference
But the C5 estate has an enormous boot, whereas the 407 SW's is smaller than a Golf's :shock: Then again, I presume the biggest part of your hobby will be strapped on the roof anyway.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
xplosiv
2.0 Turbo

Post by xplosiv »

Hi,

I don't want an estate and yes the biggest part goes on the roof.

I have not read about any clutch issues on low milage 407's i will ask around.

Andy
xplosiv
2.0 Turbo

Post by xplosiv »

Hi trem,

DHow many miles did yours have on it when you got it?

Did you have any problems getting pug to fix it ?

Do you still like your car ?

I assuem you have/had a 1yr waranty?

Thanks,

Andy
trem1
3.0 24v

Post by trem1 »

xplosiv wrote:Hi trem,

DHow many miles did yours have on it when you got it?

Did you have any problems getting pug to fix it ?

Do you still like your car ?

I assuem you have/had a 1yr waranty?

Thanks,

Andy
1 cant remember exactly but about 30,000 miles (blue 407 had a new clutch for same reason)

2 no had no problem at all with pug just took it in they took it for a test with me in passenger seat i never noticed it slip but the mechanic said yep its slipping so got a new clutch no bother (except they used it to go the local curry's for summat which they left in doorpocket :oops: )

3 yep i love my car its my pride and joy every time i look out the window i cant believe its mine and i still have a smiley face when i put my foot down in 3rd

4 yep i got the warranty and took it back for everything i could think of without any complaints/pissed off looks from dealer even tho the salesman who sold it to me left six weeks after selling me it

tip: you gonna get a new mot yes, so next year one month before its due mot/warranty expiry take it for test if it fails on anything its still covered on warranty

also take no notice of geordieboy he on a downer on anything thats not german and/or rearwheel drive
:cheesy: :cheesy:

xplosiv
2.0 Turbo

Post by xplosiv »

Hi trem,

Do you think the price is ok? Basically it is the first 407 I went to see and I think the deal is so good that I may be best off getting it rather than looking around. The paint work and interior is in perfect condition and the car is Metallic - Iron grey. The dealer also has offered to install rear parking sensor if I buy the car as I mentioned that parking maybe interesting. So as it stands I have placed a deposit on the car.

I am not sure if £2,000 is a good price for my car that said they started at £1,800 and I managed to make them go for £2,000. I am sure I could sell it for more but don't have the time.

I was trying not to get another French car as I have had a 309 and 2 406's none of which have ever given me problems apart from the current 406 which is starting to cost. I have had a search around the net and been in a few cars. And for the size it is basically between the 407 and the mondeo, I think the ford has more power and more toys but I will need to look around.

As for buying German hmm, the mechanic tells me that the German cars also suffer the same as the French cars. DMF, injectors, pumps the usual. And the fuel consumption is not as good on all new diesels as the EU made the NOx limits much lower which means more fuel must be wasted to achieve the emissions (crazy). I had a ride in a friends new golf diesels 136 and it was noisy and vibrated loads when stopped at the lights and the performance was very laggy. One make I have not looked at is Vauxhall and Volvo (will be out of my price range)

Image Image Image

If i do get a 407 i have found the sports grill for £50 although i am not sure it works

NOTE/EDIT: DOES ANYBODY NEED A ROOF BAR SET FOR A PEUGEUOT 406? IF SO LET ME KNOW AS I HAVE ONE IN GOOD CONDITION WITH ALL THE PARTS REQUIRED FOR FITTING.

TRIM: Does the SE have the metal sill protectors on? and i assume they all have the over-boost on them?

Andy
GeordieBoy
3.0 24v

Post by GeordieBoy »

trem1 wrote:
also take no notice of geordieboy he on a downer on anything thats not german and/or rearwheel drive
lol I aint on a downer, I love my 406 for its comfort, but I think other makes have better reliability.

I test drove the 407 2.0 HDi 136bhp for 2 days and I loved it. But can ya really honestly trust French Electrics not to fook up? :evil:

I'd only buy an old L/M/N/P reg BMW 2.5TDS so that I could use Chip Fat in it instead of Diesel. Save on fuel costs.

I also want a 200sx or Skyline just to Drift, I dont mind crashing Jap Cars. :lol:
UK Open Drift Championship 2011 Driver #80
Vehicles I own:-
1999 S Peugeot 406 LX 1.9TD (90% WVO, 10% Petrol)
2000 W Ford Transit LWB High Roof 2.5D
1997 R E36 BMW 328i Saloon (Drift/Track Car)
1995 N E36 BMW 328i Saloon (Spare Parts Car)
SOLD --- 2001 Y 406 GTX 2.0 HDi 110bhp
Captain Jack
3.0 24v

Post by Captain Jack »

My housemate bought a Mundane 130PS... it's not slow by any means, but it's boring as hell. If it shares the same electrics with the 407, then get the 407.

My choice would be the Honda Accord 2.2CDTi exec.. even if it means paying slightly more.
2003 - 2008: 1998 Peugeot 406 2.1 TD 110bhp LX Saloon
2008 - 2009: 2004 Honda Accord 2.2 CDTI 136bhp Executive Saloon
2009 - 2013: 2002 Peugeot 406 2.0 HDI 110bhp Executive Saloon
2013 - 2021: 2007 Peugeot 407 2.2 HDI 170bhp Executive Saloon (mapped to 213bhp :twisted:)
2021 - ????: 2016 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi 180bhp Titanium
trem1
3.0 24v

Post by trem1 »

hi andy im not getting involved in prices cos thats your decision if your happy with it go for it 8) if not dont :shock:

can i just say it looks like your buying my car cos mines the 136bhp se in iron grey but mines on a 04 :cry: i to tried the mondeo and wasnt impressed with the power delivery it was all a bit to smooth and felt slow but probably wasnt (a bit like the 406 1.8 petrol,doesnt feel quick but look at the speedo and it says different), i also tried the vectra but didnt like the seats or dashboard:it was too square also the 2.2 sri is only 125bhp(i think), also i wanted a volvo v70 although the wife wanted the s80 but price was the decider on that.

im very happy with mine and my se has got the sill protectors dont know about the overboost thing :frown:
as for the grill i dont like the sports grill i went for the halfrauds option

this is mine btw

trem1
3.0 24v

Post by trem1 »

GeordieBoy wrote:
trem1 wrote:
lol I aint on a downer, I love my 406 for its comfort, but I think other makes have better reliability.

I test drove the 407 2.0 HDi 136bhp for 2 days and I loved it. But can ya really honestly trust French Electrics not to fook up? :evil:

I'd only buy an old L/M/N/P reg BMW 2.5TDS so that I could use Chip Fat in it instead of Diesel. Save on fuel costs.

I also want a 200sx or Skyline just to Drift, I dont mind crashing Jap Cars. :lol:
fair points but

1 reliability is down largely to experinces if you get a good one its reliable if not its crap

2 can you really trust anything not to :shock:

3 her indoors wouldnt get in summat that old :roll:

4 i must be a bit more grown up then :shock:

Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

I reckon that 407 is a good deal.

For £5,500.00 you're getting what is basically as good as a new car with that mileage.

£2,000.00 for your 51 plate is incredible in my opinion. You'd struggle to sell privately at that price at the moment.

I reckon the 407 is a cool alternative to all the other sh*t out there and the problems I have seen reported so far on the 407 are relatively minor. You have a warrenty so make sure you use it!

Geordie - the 406 is not unreliable in real terms. I've had some problems but when I look at it they are only consistent with an 8 year old anything really. Don't forget most of us are down at the fag-end of the 406 market with nearly 10 year old motors! surely you can forgive relatively minor shortcomings at this age? that 407 won't give any trouble because it's still new. When it gets to 7/8 years old then maybe stuff will start playing up a bit but ask anyone with a car that age and they will all have a tale to tell.

When I finally part with my 406 I will ALLWAYS look back and consider it the best car I've had. I would also buy a 407 in pursuit of similar comfort and ride which I am finding increasingly important now.

As for BMW's - I have a 10 year old Compact Diesel laid up in my garage which is hard to start and I've been advised that ONLY BMW have the equipment to diagnose the DDE diesel injection system (probably resulting in a new injector pump £££££) and I also have a 2000 316i SE which wanders all over the road and is a sh*t to drive because two £18.00 bushes are worn but require 8 hours labour to change £££££££££ (part of the aluminium wishbone set up) it also has driveline shunt when changing gear, the climate control over heats the cabin, the throttle is far too stiff, there's a sticky-ticky hydraulic lifter (sometimes) and the thermostat sticks open taking an age to warm up and making it run rich but again the bleeding of the cooling system on these engines is a real headache costing much time ££££££££ this is on a genuine one owner (who I know) BMW with the fullest Sytner BMW history you've ever seen. :roll:

Welly
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work