type d8 or d9

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

turbolag
Officer of the law!

Re: type d8 or d9

Post by turbolag »

eoin27 wrote:I thought the very late D9 coupes were given new bumpers. They were ugly, made it look like a 407 impersonation. Took the whole look off the coupe. But the 1999-2003ish ones were the same as the D8 at the front me thinks.

Indeed, and the numbers '406' were dropped from the name, with the fina MY being known simply as the Peugeot Coupe...guaranteed to confuse insurers everywhere!

Generally speaking, the D9 was the more modern design with better engines, though the D8 was better finished. Find a cared for low mileage D8 (getting rare in that state) and you could have a bargain on your hands.
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

turbolag wrote:Generally speaking, the D9 was the more modern design with better engines, though the D8 was better finished.
Better finished?

Unlike the saloon and estate, there's very little difference between the D8 and D9 coupe. The mid-1999 change to D9 only really went as far as putting in a BSI and the new style centre console bits (baring the satnav screen, which came in a lot later.) They also started shoving the HDi in it. Full multiplexing and the 210BHP ES9J4S engine came in March 2001 and the restyled bumper around 2003.

Of course, as with any pug, there were minor part changes throughout its life, typically a couple of months after they hit the other models as it took the French a while to get round to shoving stuff into boxes bound for Pininfarina's factory in Italy :roll:
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
turbolag
Officer of the law!

Post by turbolag »

Paint finish was unquestionably better from new on the D8, interior trim was heavier duty and plusher - even something simple, like the parcel shelf, was a thicker and denser material. This alone might seem very minor, but these details multiplied throught the car gave a quieter cabin with less squeaks and rattles.
Blue406
406 Gimp

Post by Blue406 »

The coupe pictured is a very late model only released on the continent.
The D8 and D9 coupes share the same panelwork throughout the entire run with exception to the last to be produced models such as the one pictured which featured a new nose. There were upgrades to the electrics too.

You will all be happy to know that the funny crossmatching of D8 and D9 parts on some models was not lost on the Coupes either. There are D8 coupes with D9 dashboards and vice versa. D9 coupes with D8 engines etc.
STALLED
The moderator down under

Post by STALLED »

Blue406 wrote:The coupe pictured is a very late model only released on the continent.
Aussie land got RHD Coupes identical to that one pictured. Only a handful though!
1997 406 D8 ST Manual 2.0L!

Blue406
406 Gimp

Post by Blue406 »

Oh yeah, forgot about those.
jamjar1383
3.0 24v

Post by jamjar1383 »

mine was a d8 hdi 110 before i sold it, its still going strong and i keep seeing it and asking the bloke to sell it back to me but he says no so it looks like im stuck with my bloody xsara
d9 hdi 90 rapier estate

"Understeer" is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.
"Oversteer" is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car.
"Horsepower" is how fast you hit the fence.
"Torque" is how far you take the fence with you.
jbh325i
1.8 16v

Post by jbh325i »

i must admit i preffer the D9 grill is it an easy fit on to a D8 ?
1999 406 glx 2.0 HDI 110bhp
1974 BMW 2002
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Oh yes, all you need is a new bumper, headlights, slam panel, bonnet...

...if we had a pound for every time a new member asks this, including myself!
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
jbh325i
1.8 16v

Post by jbh325i »

steve_earwig wrote:Oh yes, all you need is a new bumper, headlights, slam panel, bonnet...

...if we had a pound for every time a new member asks this, including myself!
:oops: so thats a no go then..
1999 406 glx 2.0 HDI 110bhp
1974 BMW 2002
turbolag
Officer of the law!

Post by turbolag »

eoin27 wrote:I thought the very late D9 coupes were given new bumpers. They were ugly, made it look like a 407 impersonation. Took the whole look off the coupe. But the 1999-2003ish ones were the same as the D8 at the front me thinks.

That style of very late coupes were just called "coupes" - the 406 moniker was dropped from the name. Dunno why - it's a damn fine number, nothing to be ashamed of!
mjb wrote:
turbolag wrote:Generally speaking, the D9 was the more modern design with better engines, though the D8 was better finished.
Better finished?

Unlike the saloon and estate, there's very little difference between the D8 and D9 coupe. The mid-1999 change to D9 only really went as far as putting in a BSI and the new style centre console bits (baring the satnav screen, which came in a lot later.) They also started shoving the HDi in it. Full multiplexing and the 210BHP ES9J4S engine came in March 2001 and the restyled bumper around 2003.

Of course, as with any pug, there were minor part changes throughout its life, typically a couple of months after they hit the other models as it took the French a while to get round to shoving stuff into boxes bound for Pininfarina's factory in Italy :roll:
Yes, better finished.

Was discussing this with Leo today. D8 paint is thicker and more lustrous, and was applied with a different process. The D9 had a phorescent dip pre treatment, which is theoretically good for anti corrosion properties, but in practice makes the paint relatively fragile to chipping and the final finish looks almost plasticky and not as deep as the D8. But if, like us, you take cars apart and fiddle, there are better tell tales.

The D9 seat fabric feels like an Asda shirt compared to the relatively plush M & S cardigan material on the D8s. The door cards, parcel shelf etc were thicker material on the D8 and this helps create a less noisy and rattly interior abbience. even the material stretched over the door cars was thicker, nicer looking and undoubtedly more expensive on the D8. Thicker and more cabin sound deadening was employed on the D8. Even the fasteners used in the engine bay were better on the D8.

The one crap finish on all models was the typically feeble alloy wheel finish - why oh why don't they sort it?
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

turbolag wrote:Was discussing this with Leo today. D8 paint is thicker and more lustrous, and was applied with a different process. The D9 had a phorescent dip pre treatment, which is theoretically good for anti corrosion properties, but in practice makes the paint relatively fragile to chipping and the final finish looks almost plasticky and not as deep as the D8. But if, like us, you take cars apart and fiddle, there are better tell tales.
Rubbish. You'd never tell a D8 and D9 coupe of the same colour apart from the outside. Unlike their french equivalents, there's very little difference between D8 and D9 coupes
The D9 seat fabric feels like an Asda shirt compared to the relatively plush M & S cardigan material on the D8s.
What do you base this on? There's not many coupes out there without leather seats, and I'm pretty sure nothing changed throughout the production run other than the settant 'anni white leather and the introduction of a half-leather seat
The door cards, parcel shelf etc were thicker material on the D8 and this helps create a less noisy and rattly interior abbience.
There's no difference between D8 and D9 coupe door cards besides the extra colour options
Even the fasteners used in the engine bay were better on the D8.
What fasteners? As far as I can tell the engine bay of my D9 coupe is EXACTLY the same as my D8 saloon's was apart from the uprated top engine mount and the different shaped bonnet+slam panel
The one crap finish on all models was the typically feeble alloy wheel finish - why oh why don't they sort it?
Agreed :cry:
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

That does apply to my estates though, apart from the under bonnet fastener stuff (que?). T'was the same with my BXs (loom made in Yugoslavia??), I guess PSA always try and cut costs whenever they do a facelift :roll:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

Hmmm, just to chuck my 2 penneth in, my D8 also appeared to be built more solidly than the D9. Difficult to put a finger on it but it always felt like the panels were made out of a thicker grade steel for example. Can't comment on the interior fabrics 'cos I went from velour to leather.

The paint finish on both was superb, equally good I'd say and a damn site better than most other cars out there. When I compare the paint finish to other manufacturers I'm well Imperssed!

Obviously when I bought the D9 with 3500 miles on it it felt a lot nicer than the D8 I'd just sold with 65000 miles on it, I distinctly remember there being a couple of rattles from the trim on the D8, and one inside the door too, but the D9 now has 65000 miles and there's still no rattles at all (there are 2 noises, one's the mobile phone holder I fitted and the other's the kiddy seat in the back :oops: ). I also haven't had any trouble on the D9 with water leaks, locks jamming, window trims peeling etc...

Dunno what you mean about the finish of the alloys, mine are excellent, again far superior to the competition and when I can be arsed to clean them properly they shine brilliantly. Only problem I've got with a wheel is where a tyre monkey managed to scrape one on a concrete floor, face down, without a tyre on, damaged the laquer. Fekking clown!

So I reckon that there were certaily cost cutting exercises when they changed from D8 to D9 (bonnet lock system for example) but I also reckon the D9 is screwed together better. Either way I still think of the 406 as a luxury car for family car money.
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
turbolag
Officer of the law!

Post by turbolag »

mjb wrote:
turbolag wrote:Was discussing this with Leo today. D8 paint is thicker and more lustrous, and was applied with a different process. The D9 had a phorescent dip pre treatment, which is theoretically good for anti corrosion properties, but in practice makes the paint relatively fragile to chipping and the final finish looks almost plasticky and not as deep as the D8. But if, like us, you take cars apart and fiddle, there are better tell tales.
Rubbish. You'd never tell a D8 and D9 coupe of the same colour apart from the outside. Unlike their french equivalents, there's very little difference between D8 and D9 coupes
Thecolour match is spot on with both. The durability and thickness is significantly diffente - drive your carinto something immovable and take a look at the resulting grief - you'll seeit for yourself.
mjb wrote:
turbolag wrote:The D9 seat fabric feels like an Asda shirt compared to the relatively plush M & S cardigan material on the D8s.
What do you base this on? There's not many coupes out there without leather seats, and I'm pretty sure nothing changed throughout the production run other than the settant 'anni white leather and the introduction of a half-leather seat
My own ownersip experiences of D8 and D9, and my eyes and sense of touch. Comparing D8 cloth to a simlair model D9 and the difference is evident. Naturally, with leather there's probably little or nothing to tell apart. Having removed and upgraded 2 x full interiors, complete with door cars and parcel shelves, I am well qualified to comment on the thickness, weight, density and apparent durability of materials. The parcel shelf is the bestcomparison as it's a simple structre - the D8 is far thicker, heavier, and presumably more expensive, and the sum of all these little differences makes the D8 feel quiter andmore solid, as attested to by Dai's impressions.
The door cards, parcel shelf etc were thicker material on the D8 and this helps create a less noisy and rattly interior abbience.
There's no difference between D8 and D9 coupe door cards besides the extra colour options There are big differences. Aside from the different shapes for the switchger, and the different mounting methods used for attaching the plastic wood trim, the covering material is heavier. The D8's material is also less likely to become detached from the door card itself and leave little 'bubbles' in the fabric around the inside contours. I have still have a motley collection of various D8 and D9 trim and if you're ever up this way feel free to drop in for a nosey - coffee on the house. My last 406 was a D9 so it was with great interest that I had a very thorough examination of Leopolds D8 yesterday while working on it and the 'perception' of solidity that comeswith the heavier guage cloth and materials is one of greater solidity over the D9. No doubt whatsoever about it.
mjb wrote:
turbolag wrote:Even the fasteners used in the engine bay were better on the D8.
What fasteners? As far as I can tell the engine bay of my D9 coupe is EXACTLY the same as my D8 saloon's was apart from the uprated top engine mount and the different shaped bonnet+slam panel
Er, the fasteners that you can see that hold everything together, hold reservoirs to inner wings, cam covers to engine top, that kind of thing. Even the little plated monkey metal brackets aren't as well finished. The fasteners throughout much of the car came from a French supplier on the D9, and a Belgian supplier on the D8. That said,surviving D8s have lived a lot longer than D9s and the extra passage of time means there's little difference today when noseying at a car.
Agreed :cry:[/quote]It's a Peugeot tradition i guess. Be a shame to stop doing it now!

PS, Hi Dai!