BTCC 406 Car Question

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

lynneandcrow
1.8 8v

BTCC 406 Car Question

Post by lynneandcrow »

Just thinking here on future mods for my 406 exec turbo. They used to use the same engine in the btcc (XU10 J2TE). Or am I wrong was it the XU10 J4TE?????
How would I be able to get a list of mechanical mods done to the engine????
I used to be indecisive but now i'm not so sure.ImageLynne and Crow
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway
Leopold
2.0 16v

Re: BTCC 406 Car Question

Post by Leopold »

lynneandcrow wrote:Just thinking here on future mods for my 406 exec turbo. They used to use the same engine in the btcc (XU10 J2TE). Or am I wrong was it the XU10 J4TE?????
How would I be able to get a list of mechanical mods done to the engine????
If you PM me the last 8 digits of your VIN, i will be able to tell you what engine was fitted to yours. If you're happy to do so..
'99 Peugeot 406 1.8 16v LS in Jade Green
HimBigChief
3.0 24v

Post by HimBigChief »

Was it not just a 2l 16v engine without turbo? Obviously highly modded, there have been BTCC parts (mainly carbon airboxs, etc) popping up on the 306GTi6 forum for the 306 BTCC engines, which I would assume would be more or less the same if they were NA.
Image Image
'98 2.1TD Executive Daily Drive........................................'94 309 Goodwood Project Car
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

The engine was an XU10J4, and you'll need some very serious metalworking equipment and skills to copy the mods, and then I wouldn't expect it to survive more than about 100 miles if you don't rebuild it every night...

http://www.mi16.nl/gallery/btcc_engine/
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

I'm guessing at a lightened and balanced crank and flywheel, *massive* porting work to the head, maybe forged pistons & rods, inlet and exhaust manifold work, fueling work, raised RPM's ............
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
HimBigChief
3.0 24v

Post by HimBigChief »

As Welly says plus throttle bodies with carbon trumpets, carbon airbox, mappable ignition, etc, etc. To bo honest you could probably get just as much power from the turbo engine if you're prepared to splash the cash.

Here's an ad which has had a BTCC spec engine fitted for the princely sum of £21k just for the engine alone! Motorsports Ad
Image Image
'98 2.1TD Executive Daily Drive........................................'94 309 Goodwood Project Car
darrenwall
2.0 Turbo

Post by darrenwall »

i think i need to go and change my underwear now :cheesy:
just dip me in chocolate and throw me to the lesbians
lynneandcrow
1.8 8v

Post by lynneandcrow »

Thanks for all the replys. I thought BTCC rules pre 1998 were that Turbo's were allowed and that at least 500 or more cars had to be produced and sold of the particular model fitted with the same engine??? Hence the old Sierra RS500 from the old BTCC days and the Goodwood Turbo Volvos in the same year. The XU10J4 engine was from a 306.

Is there any 406's fitted with XU10J4 engine's and why?? Also why did they use the old XU10 J2TE lump on the SRi as it was also fitted to the 405 and Citroen XM. Usualy manufacturers re-manufacture a new engine into a new car, do they not??? Uness they wan to exploit a well proven engine.
Last edited by lynneandcrow on Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I used to be indecisive but now i'm not so sure.ImageLynne and Crow
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway
HimBigChief
3.0 24v

Post by HimBigChief »

Is the 2l 16V lump in the 406 not an XU10J4? The GTi6 engine is an XU10J4RS IIRC. There's not much difference between the two, cams and exhaust/inlet are the main differences I think.
Image Image
Bundy
1.8 16v

Post by Bundy »

lynneandcrow wrote:I thought BTCC rules pre 1998 were that Turbo's were allowed and that at least 500 or more cars had to be produced and sold of the particular model fitted with the same engine??? Hence the old Sierra RS500 from the old BTCC days and the Goodwood Turbo Volvos in the same year. The XU10J4 engine was from a 306.
Nope, no turbos after *i think* the late 80s or very early 90swhen cossies were killing everything else. So they made it 2ltr 16v normal aspirated engines with a maximum horsepower of 300bhp, just like rally cars. This is why volvo never used the2.3 turbocharged T5 for BTCC, just the 2.0. It's also why BMW made a 6 pot 2.0 if i remember correctly. It did a lot of good in the real world too, because manufacturers had to make better designed, built and more efficient normaly aspirated engines in order to stand a chance. You can't polish a turd. Renault pumped more time and money into this era (remember the dominant lagunas?), which is why thier 2.0 16v normaly aspirated engines are so far ahead of everyone elses, even to this day.
Man: What shall i wear?
Woman: Oh for god sake, you're not a child, i'm sure you can dress yourself!
5 mins later.
Man: Right then, what do you think?
Woman: You're not seriously going to wear THAT are you?
Man: Well i did ask you!
woman: <sigh> Come on, let's go dress you PROPERLY...
Man: WELL I DID ASK YOU!
turbolag
Officer of the law!

Post by turbolag »

Not to mention very tight tolerances that didn't open up to proper spec until the motor was properly hot, hence them being knackered after a few goes as F1 style preheating of oil and coolant was banned.
STALLED
The moderator down under

Post by STALLED »

lynneandcrow wrote:
Is there any 406's fitted with XU10J4 engine's and why??
XU10J4 = S2 Mi16's and S16's - 114kw.

XU10J4R = 406, 306 - 100kw

XU10J4RS = GTI-6 - 124kw
1997 406 D8 ST Manual 2.0L!

waue1978
HDi don't believe it!

Post by waue1978 »

Bundy wrote:
lynneandcrow wrote:I thought BTCC rules pre 1998 were that Turbo's were allowed and that at least 500 or more cars had to be produced and sold of the particular model fitted with the same engine??? Hence the old Sierra RS500 from the old BTCC days and the Goodwood Turbo Volvos in the same year. The XU10J4 engine was from a 306.
Nope, no turbos after *i think* the late 80s or very early 90swhen cossies were killing everything else. So they made it 2ltr 16v normal aspirated engines with a maximum horsepower of 300bhp, just like rally cars. This is why volvo never used the2.3 turbocharged T5 for BTCC, just the 2.0. It's also why BMW made a 6 pot 2.0 if i remember correctly. It did a lot of good in the real world too, because manufacturers had to make better designed, built and more efficient normaly aspirated engines in order to stand a chance. You can't polish a turd. Renault pumped more time and money into this era (remember the dominant lagunas?), which is why thier 2.0 16v normaly aspirated engines are so far ahead of everyone elses, even to this day.

If I remember right, BMW didn't use the 6 cylinder engines for Touring Car racing - they used the M42 engine from the 318is, bored out to 2.0. These were a much better & flexible engine to start with than the straight 6 - 140bhp from a 1.8 is still more than most manufacturers provide now!

The rules were a little bit flexible in that the car & engine combinations didn't actually have to be sold together, hence Ford using the Mazda V6 from the Probe knocked down to 2.0 from 2.5 in the Mondeos in 1993 - long before the Mondeo V6 was being produced.

As another point of interest, my father remembers Richard Longman from when he was growing up in Downton & Longman was well known for driving Minis faster than anybody thought possible at the time! Turned out a few years later he won the championship in one...
2000/X Peugeot 406 110 HDi LX Family 93k to 2000/W BMW 530D SE Auto 84k to 2003/03 Peugeot Partner Hdi Escapade 98k to 2003/53 Vauxhall Zafira DTi Elegance 74k