Undecided

Post your goods for sale, or what you're after. Please note : NO TRADE ADS without prior permission

Moderator: Moderators

Highroller

Undecided

Post by Highroller »

Hello, I have been given responsibility of sorting out my late father in laws car. A 406 2.0 hpi on an 03 plate executive model manual. Now it has been sitting on a drive for at least 3-4 years. It had a problem with the central locking only the drivers door opens..... the garage quoted over £350 Plus to fix saying it was the ecu etc. Last week went to start it. Would you believe it the bloody thing started! First time... everything I think works except the locking issue. It’s black with less than 50k on the clock. Any suggestions please..... it seems too good to scrap.
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Re: Undecided

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

Mot it & list it on here, ebay, 406 farcebook page under offers,
With it being a petrol it won't make as much as a diesel,
but I still feel if in good condition, with a years mot & only 50k it should make £750 - £1000
Depends on the interest :wink:
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Hi, welcome to the club :cheesy:
I may be wrong, but I think there are only 5 or 6 Hpi models left on the road.....
https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/p ... cutive_hpi
It's a good car though, could you sort the lock yourself and keep the car in the family..?
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
Captain Jack
3.0 24v

Post by Captain Jack »

Yes, that model is pretty shifty - i.e. it goes! Not a lot of information on it but it seems relatively reliable.

Take pictures!
2003 - 2008: 1998 Peugeot 406 2.1 TD 110bhp LX Saloon
2008 - 2009: 2004 Honda Accord 2.2 CDTI 136bhp Executive Saloon
2009 - 2013: 2002 Peugeot 406 2.0 HDI 110bhp Executive Saloon
2013 - 2021: 2007 Peugeot 407 2.2 HDI 170bhp Executive Saloon (mapped to 213bhp :twisted:)
2021 - ????: 2016 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi 180bhp Titanium
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Highroller wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:43 am the garage quoted over £350 Plus to fix saying it was the ecu etc.
How on earth can they quote a job like that without seeing it or doing any investigation? :roll:

Probably best to sell it 'as is'. I'd be inclined to keep quiet about the locks and let the buyer decide whether it's a deal-breaker or not? or is that too dodgy nowadays where we all have to be compliant and play nicely? hey the locks could fail on the morning of purchase, how are you to know?

The less you say the better, list it as 'been stood' but starts first time, full history/well cared for prior to storage etc etc..you'll probably see £500 out of it?
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

Highroller wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:43 am Hello, I have been given responsibility of sorting out my late father in laws car. A 406 2.0 hpi on an 03 plate executive model manual. Now it has been sitting on a drive for at least 3-4 years. It had a problem with the central locking only the drivers door opens..... the garage quoted over £350 Plus to fix saying it was the ecu etc. Last week went to start it. Would you believe it the bloody thing started! First time... everything I think works except the locking issue. It’s black with less than 50k on the clock. Any suggestions please..... it seems too good to scrap.

If it has been stood for such a long time I'm sure there will be a few issues that may need sorting out before the car can be put back on the road...the brakes will need attention for one thing!
I have put one of these back on the road after it had been stood a long time....my brother owns it now...I ran it for a few years.
It's a rare car with some engine parts no longer available.

Where are you located? I may be interested in the car as is without you having to mot it.
Captain Jack
3.0 24v

Post by Captain Jack »

Soon, Jasper will have the only two HPIs in the whole world :D
2003 - 2008: 1998 Peugeot 406 2.1 TD 110bhp LX Saloon
2008 - 2009: 2004 Honda Accord 2.2 CDTI 136bhp Executive Saloon
2009 - 2013: 2002 Peugeot 406 2.0 HDI 110bhp Executive Saloon
2013 - 2021: 2007 Peugeot 407 2.2 HDI 170bhp Executive Saloon (mapped to 213bhp :twisted:)
2021 - ????: 2016 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi 180bhp Titanium
Highroller

Post by Highroller »

Hello again, Thank you for all your feedback regarding the 406 executive. Its in the garage now:
Wipers
new hazard switch
unsiezed rear ns brakes
and some other things.
Just needs the rear door locks to be freed. Can't open rear doors from inside or outside. A common issue....
Then it gets a new ticket.....
They then said it needs an alternator and belt and new battery..... but I think I'll wait until I get the ticket.
So hopefully not to bad for a years motoring.
Then on to the next car of the father in laws a vw polo 2001 tdi... will it never end...
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

The rear door locks sticking is common, one of my rear doors was stuck once but perseverance with the key, lots of locking/unlocking and gently banging the door around the lock area eventually freed it - it was fine ever since.

Rear calipers are also common - sometimes it's cheaper to find a new set on eBay for about £80 and just replace them, then use the old ones as spares once freed off in a vice or something... The key is to keep the sliders lubed with plastilube or similar, by squirting some under the rubber sheaths :cheesy:

Good luck, I'm glad you are sorting it.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

Hello Highroller,

The HPi Executive Estate that Jasper rescued and subsequently passed on to his brother was mine. I bought it 6 months old in summer 2002 and ran it for 10 years, it's a wonderful car. It was very reliable but suffered the odd niggly electrical issue with sensors etc, the only really big bill was when the high pressure fuel pump packed up. After 10 years I decided it was time for a change and bought a Volvo V70, which was the only car I could find that I felt was a worthy successor. Unfortunately, right at that time the 406 started suffering fuelling issues again and cutting out so, scared of another big bill I parked it in my garage and procrastinated over what to do with it for a while, eventually selling it to Jasper about a year later. That time stood around certainly didn't do it any favours, but Jasper was able to revive it without much drama, the fuelling fault turned out to be a solenoid IIRC. That was 5 years ago and she's is still going strong and is still a good looking, comfortable, well appointed car. I hear from Jaspers brother regularly and he still sends me the odd pic, this one is from last year:

That "How Many Left" site that GingerMagic posted says there are 4 SORNed and 1 taxed in the UK, and there she is. I can't believe she's just turned 17!
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
Welly

Post by Welly »

The HPi was probably the most complex 406 due to it's fuelling system, they never really sold in big numbers I think because we were just heading into the Common Rail era of diesels and of course everyone knew Peugeot are (were?) the best at diesel so just about all of them were HDi's.

Interesting that Dai's is THE only one running in the country, that's quite something :shock: I'm guessing fuel pump failure wrote off all the others :( the other thing I remember was that despite the claims the HPi wasn't really as economical as it should have been?
Cars in my care:
Highroller

Post by Highroller »

Hello again,
The 406 has now passed mot.... am getting a price for the charging system. It will need work on the brakes but should be ok for now... they apparently manually popped up the rear door locks? But won’t work on central locking. Not even sure if they can be locked at all... hopefully next week will be legal and put some miles on it. It was always a good cruiser... will post a picture when on the road.
Welly

Post by Welly »

With the sticking locks I reckon with some exercise and WD40 squirtage in the right places they should work again.
Cars in my care:
Highroller

Post by Highroller »

Hello again,
Pick 406 up from garage ran well back home and around town, put a new battery on. Took to be cleaned thought that I would treat her(?) went back following day to pick her up. Damn thing wouldn’t start, turns over but won’t fire up... Now have done the key checks no immobiliser sign on dash no led light on key. Put buttons on keys umpteenth times in many orders. Then checked the drivers footwell slightly damp , went to boot wet... looks like water is getting in through here and in to the front...do Peugeot’s not like water!...it is strange open the door and no lights come on, ie courtesy lights etc..... is there any body down my way who knows about these things. If I had my way I would hermetically seal the car up..... :D
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

O'Dear I'm very sorry for you :(
Have a read of crazy electrics thread in knowledge base :wink:
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol: