WANTED: Coolant degassing tank (D8 V6)

Post your goods for sale, or what you're after. Please note : NO TRADE ADS without prior permission

Moderator: Moderators

PhillipM
1.8 16v

WANTED: Coolant degassing tank (D8 V6)

Post by PhillipM »

After a coolant degassing tank for a D8 V6 - mine has the common leak around the seam, hence I'd prefer a new one if anyone has one stashed away - I know they were really cheap from Peugeot but it seems they're NLA - this type:

Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Re: WANTED: Coolant degassing tank (D8 V6)

Post by Welly »

That's a rare thing now I'd guess, Is there an aftermarket stainless steel one made? what about 'Ade' on the Coupe Forum? think he breaks these models.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

I had a "Google" about (other search engines available) and they seem like they're getting rather rare, other PSA cars with V6's use them but they all come up slightly different, wrong size spigots or spigots pointing the wrong way. Looks a damn pain to me. Searching "stainless degassing tank" just seems to bring up huge tanks from maybe the petrochemical industry...
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
PhillipM
1.8 16v

Post by PhillipM »

Yes, I've been ssearching all over for something I could adapt, nothing yet. Peugeot don't have any, anywhere, I've been in touch with Pug HQ and they checked all the dealers and warehouses in UK and France for me.

So, it looks like a full drain of the cooling system, get it off, and see if I can either repair 'em or make some ally replacements.
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

That should be very easy to repair.
Cut it across the seam where the leak is, grind it flat on each side and glue it together.

Have you tried bypassing it and looking at the effect on the cooling system?
PhillipM
1.8 16v

Post by PhillipM »

It's polypropylene, you won't have much luck gluing it permanently outside of a lab, even the stuff you can get commercially for PP bonding just doesn't hold up under high temperatures with aromatics in the mix - they're ultrasonic welded from the factory but....evidently not very well either :D
You might be able weld it with a 300w-500w hot melt gun if fast enough, but how long it'd last given the original weld fails I don't know.
Friction welding might work if I can figure out how to grab the two halves well enough in the lathe.

I did wonder about parting it on the seam, making a gasket and then clamping the two halves together maybe.
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

Given the other problems, I would cut it in half and clamp it together with a decent gasket in the middle...should be fairly simple to do.
PhillipM
1.8 16v

Post by PhillipM »

I'm after a few of these for experimenting on for repair, if anyone has got a few leaky ones laying around. :)