and today i have mostly been...

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Re: and today i have mostly been...

Post by Doggy »

Oh well.

:idea: The current crop of Freeloaders are DW12 powered.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

dogslife wrote:Oh well.

I quite fancy me one of them freeloader thingies. Who'm I kidding? What I really want (this week) is a Disco 4 but the size, weight, tax, fuel economy and price are proving a bit restrictive.... :cry:
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

The petrol Ravvy we had at work was bought at 26000 miles and sold on at 120000 miles and there was not a single fault other than the unfortunate Auto box ECU error - which it was traded in with too :supafrisk: I think we got £3,200.00 for it as a trader and it had been used as a Van really :|

It used to do about 30 mpg mostly. They're good at mashing up/down kerbs and pot-holes too with little effect.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

http://www.njuskalo.hr/auti/land-rover- ... as-2964043

Did anyone sell a kidney on ebay yet?

Anyway, the idea is to get a petrol so it doesn't throw a wobbly at all the short journeys it'll be doing.

Here comes annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnother one: http://www.njuskalo.hr/auti/toyota-rav4 ... as-2068104

Shame about the lpg (I wonder if you can whip the tank out & put it back in again as needed :? ) odd choice of colour too. Half-leather seats though...
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

steve_earwig wrote:

iwas thinking about trying that,
but ionly have one to start with, counts me out :(
Doggy

Post by Doggy »

lozz wrote:
steve_earwig wrote:

iwas thinking about trying that,
but ionly have one to start with, counts me out :(
I was thinking of flogging one of the wife's but it turns out she's only got one.....

Guess a refund's out the question. :roll:
Doggy

Post by Doggy »

steve_earwig wrote:Anyway, the idea is to get a petrol so it doesn't throw a wobbly at all the short journeys it'll be doing.
I understand the reservations people have about short journeys & dpf's but they can be got rid of. The thing to remember is that the majority of petrols aren't going to return mpg numbers in double figures until they've more or less warmed up, whereas the diesel isn't much different cold or hot.

The true cost of petrol on really short journeys can be many times that of a diesel, particularly with bigger petrol engines.
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

dogslife wrote:
steve_earwig wrote:Anyway, the idea is to get a petrol so it doesn't throw a wobbly at all the short journeys it'll be doing.
I understand the reservations people have about short journeys & dpf's but they can be got rid of. The thing to remember is that the majority of petrols aren't going to return mpg numbers in double figures until they've more or less warmed up, whereas the diesel isn't much different cold or hot.

The true cost of petrol on really short journeys can be many times that of a diesel, particularly with bigger petrol engines.
Sorry but id beg to differ,

yup diesels are cheaper to run than petrols,
but ithink diesels take an age to warm up, they do less mpg when theyre cold,

petrols warm up quicker, so if you only do short journeys a petrol can work cheaper in the long run than a diesel,
not unless you go the veg-route,
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Indeed, these HDis are very efficient and take an age to warm up, that's why they have preheaters. With all these short journeys my HDi's consumption is 8.2 l/100km (30.7mpg), Ok, I had a ride out this morning and it dropped a little but that's not something I can guarantee doing every week, especially across winter. And on these tiny journeys it's not getting warm (thank heavens for the seat heaters!) which is doing god knows how much harm.

lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

iwas getting around 27-28 mpg. from cold in the d9
it took around 15mins to warm up, even then it wasnt at 90

but once it got to around 90 on the temp the mpg was brilliant,

this citreon thing ive got is reaching 33-34 cold, 40s warm,
Doggy

Post by Doggy »

From personal experience, if I spend a week at home & do perhaps 100 miles of 4/5 short journeys a day, the 406 returns something like 33 mpg, vs about 42 normally.
Under the same conditions my Xsara HDi 90 did about 40 mpg on short journeys & 49/50 normally.
The Omega returned about 18 & 28 mpg and the Carlton about 16 & 27 mpg
The last 2.0 petrol I had could get 40 plus mpg on a LONG run, but averaged 30 mpg on my 30 miles each-way commute, which demonstrates just how bad it was while warming up.

I agree diesels take longer to warm up, but I maintain that the increased consumption with a cold engine is far less than the equivalent petrol. It's a recognised fact you run petrols excessively rich when cold and most deliberately waste more fuel trying to warm the cat up.
Welly

Post by Welly »

A diesel will use less fuel all day long, cold or warm.......BUT....it is the risk of expensive stuff going wrong on a new complicated diesel by using it on 5 mile trips that bothers me. In my opinion you get yourself a diesel if you do 12,000+ miles a year and regular long runs (like most days).

Any driver/enthusiast would recognise that if the engine hasn't warmed up then it's not running fully protected by the oil etc so if you did this a lot then you could be storing up trouble with oil blockages, soot blocking inlet manifolds/egr's etc.

Steve's fuel quality in Croatia might not be as good as the UK either which won't help.

I used to run my HDi for 3.5miles to work at first (before we moved 11 miles away) and it used to do 33 in winter and 37 in summer.

The Volvo won't go below 25mpg on my 'newly found' 16 mile round trip even when pushing 100mph every night on my indoor secret race track and that's a "2.5 petrol" probably a phrase that will raise eye brows fairly soon.

Whilst waffling, my mate is driving a 2011 Focus 1.6 petrol turbo and is getting 44mpg out of it :shock: looking at the purchase price over the diesel you'd have to do mega miles to even begin to claw back the extra cost of the diesel.

It's all relative I suppose to individual circumstances but I can't help thinking I'd rest better at night with a Petrol on my drive if I couldn't afford a nearly-new Diesel :|
Cars in my care:
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Welly wrote: Steve's fuel quality in Croatia might not be as good as the UK either which won't help.
And today's slight understatement is... It's crap, it's well known the diesel ruins injectors. I was buying the expensive stuff from the station down by the motorway because it was rumoured to be slightly better but, seeing as it froze in my fuel lines last winter, it's just as crap as the cheap stuff. When I was over in the UK I was amazed how well my car was running, all the way up until I filled it up on the local soup and it was back to lumpy tickover and dull performance. I still have these injectors I got from Stealth but I'm loathed to fit them because they'll probably just as knackered when the Croatian sludge huts them.

Extra selling point I guess :?

Seeing as how there are so few RAVs for sale here I might indeed end up with a diseasal, obviously I need to avoid a DPF like the Black Death because of the amount of tiny journeys it'll do so I'm now trying to figure out how you tell (yes, green letters on the engine on later cars, but what about early ones?)

On a completely different subject, my wife found this little guy in front of her bedroom doors this morning:

I'm not sure how he got there but he must have either climbed over the fence or opened the gate. Of course there's no chance someone from the village here has been stupid, thoughtless and ignorant enough to put him in our garden and assume that we'll take care of him :evil:

He was shivering and making a little groaning noise so I thought the cold had probably done for him but he activated about an hour ago, demanding food with his little whip of a tail going like the clappers, so he's had some goat's milk and some mashed up cat food. I'm not sure I like the look of his stomach though, possibly worms or perhaps blocked up. I'll see what the vet says this afternoon.

Welly

Post by Welly »

Yay! pet-rescue wiggy 8)

Stomach does look weird (I'm no expert) maybe through semi-starvation? :frown:

Didn't you inherit a few cats this way too?

You might get down the quacks and it might cost a small fortune? :?
Cars in my care:
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Yep, 3 of our cats are "wander ins", also two of the three buried in my garden. People here are too cheap to have animals sterilised so when the inevitable happens they usually take the cheap option and dump them somewhere.

He's not blocked up anyway, it looked like grass seeds or something in it so probably malnutrition. Or worms, I think they can do that to kittens, but I couldn't see anything moving.

The vets here aren't as greedy as the ones back in the UK, we get on very well with our vet and I know she won't be charging me for anything if it can be helped and then only for materials.