D8 Cruise Control Retrofit

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

jonsowman
3.0 24v

Re: D8 Cruise Control Retrofit

Post by jonsowman »

Cheers lozz. That 2.1 exec has already been sold, unfortunately. Never mind.

Bookmarked the switches page! I'm hoping I'll be able to find one in a scrapyard and go and pull all of the required kit out of it. It's going to take a while to find one though, I think.

The above link to the kit on ebay looks suitable, except I also need the solenoid electro-valve I think? I can't see it in that picture.

Oh and the cruise ECU itself :)
2002 V6 SE Coupé (210bhp) - (Aegean Blue)
2002 D9 2.2 HDi Exec Estate - Samarkand Blue
PM me for PP2000 diagnostics around Surrey
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

Jon, Google 2.1citroen xantia Special eds, cruise control , see what it comes up with
im pretty sure there will be plenty of guides floating about the net for them, yeah iknow its not peugeot but itl be a simalar of same set up id think,
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

have alook through this forum,
something on there might be useful,

one thread here but its hdi related ithink http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=39257
jonsowman
3.0 24v

Post by jonsowman »

The XM forum has a couple of useful bits in terms of part numbers etc, but no assembly diagrams that I can find for the 2.1. I can't see anywhere on the car to mount the vac actuator, hence wanting to look at a vehicle with it fitted. Good idea to look at other cars though :)

I think perhaps that ebay auction does include the solenoid, but it's hard to see. I've asked the seller for confirmation.
midsmike
3.0 24v

Post by midsmike »

mate been an looked at my d8 v 6 im breaking and its got cruise control if ur interested
1998 peugeot 406 2.1 td executive saloon silver,d9 mods 18" dare v2 alloys In Phase XTC 6.5″ 240W Component Speakers up front and Vibe Slick 6x9 Three Way Speakers - Slick 693 in the rear runing off a Alpine MRV-F307 V12 Series amp and a vibe cbr 12 twin evo sub in the boot. 1998 peugeot 406 2.1 td lx saloon red
jonsowman
3.0 24v

Post by jonsowman »

That could be helpful mike, thanks. How much would you be after for all the bits roughly? I can't afford to throw too much cash at this, since there's a good chance it won't work!

I'd be after the cruise stalk, cruise ECU, enable button by right drivers knee, vacuum actuator, vacuum pump with bracket and hosing and solenoid.
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

You'll want the switch panel too to save faffing about. I suspect the other connector you have in the blank is for the switch known (by me :oops:) as the "alarm schtum" button...

My guess is maybe there's a different part for the throttle pot unit on cruise-enabled models? Check servicebox.

All said though, you REALLY want to find out if you've got the connectors on your engine bay harness before splashing the cash. These will be possible but by no means easy to retro-fit! I don't know if getting under the wheelarch will help much - from my photos it looks like there's not enough room between the gearbox and subframe to get a hand through. Try stripping down some of the stuff from under the bonnet first. A couple of loose connectors should be relatively easy to spot.

If I get chance I'll check the wiring diagrams and try to see which harness they're on. I honestly can't remember anything more, and I've looked through literally thousands of my own photos (congratulations - you've got me seriously interested in this!) looking for anything near the area without success.
RayneR wrote:Well, i'll try to help with some of my experience retrofitting into a early (may) 2000 110hdi Estate.
D9 HDi and later petrol engine cruise control is purely software-driven, not mechanical as in the case with earlier D8s. There's pretty much nothing in common besides the pedal switches, and even then the wiring of them is totally different
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
jonsowman
3.0 24v

Post by jonsowman »

Cheers mjb, very kind of you to put so much effort into this. Side question: my car doesn't have an alarm, is the button going to do anything at all?

My rationale for the wheel arch comment is the following from the D8 coupe retrofit thread:
"Jack the car up and remove the passenger side wheel, look for a round rubber connector and a blue 2 pin plasic connector, they should be just on top of the steering rack"

Now the thread doesn't say, but I'm assuming this plugs into the vac pump? I assume this carries power for the pump (controlled by the CC activation switch) and a control signal for the solenoid. Is this the only part of the engine wiring harness that I need to be concerned about, or is there more cabling involved? I can't think of anything else electrical that'd be required.

The mounting position for the vac pump doesn't look too difficult to get to from the following picture, but in reality I can see why it would be:

Also from examining my car, and pictures of the V6, it looks like there's a lot more room to work on the 2.1TD. The V6 looks to be extremely packed in around the throttle area, whereas the 2.1 seems to have a fair amount of room.

Mike: Indeed as mjb said, I'd be wanting the entire switch panel please :) How long before your V6 goes to the scrapper? I'd like to investigate my car further before committing to grabbing all the stuff from you, depending on how long you're keeping the V6 for and how much you want for the kit.
midsmike
3.0 24v

Post by midsmike »

jonsowman wrote:That could be helpful mike, thanks. How much would you be after for all the bits roughly? I can't afford to throw too much cash at this, since there's a good chance it won't work!

I'd be after the cruise stalk, cruise ECU, enable button by right drivers knee, vacuum actuator, vacuum pump with bracket and hosing and solenoid.
right well ive been lookin how much they go for plus u will need the plastics that goes around the rack for the stalk so hows 55 sound delivered
1998 peugeot 406 2.1 td executive saloon silver,d9 mods 18" dare v2 alloys In Phase XTC 6.5″ 240W Component Speakers up front and Vibe Slick 6x9 Three Way Speakers - Slick 693 in the rear runing off a Alpine MRV-F307 V12 Series amp and a vibe cbr 12 twin evo sub in the boot. 1998 peugeot 406 2.1 td lx saloon red
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

jonsowman wrote:Side question: my car doesn't have an alarm, is the button going to do anything at all?
No. Quite often when assembling the cars they used harnesses for higher spec models, which have extra connectors but nothing plugged into either end
My rationale for the wheel arch comment is the following from the D8 coupe retrofit thread:
"Jack the car up and remove the passenger side wheel, look for a round rubber connector and a blue 2 pin plasic connector, they should be just on top of the steering rack"
Oh. Looks more accessible than I thought it'd be! Wheelarch liners are my nemesis though, so I try to avoid it whenever possible... :lol:
Now the thread doesn't say, but I'm assuming this plugs into the vac pump? I assume this carries power for the pump (controlled by the CC activation switch) and a control signal for the solenoid. Is this the only part of the engine wiring harness that I need to be concerned about, or is there more cabling involved? I can't think of anything else electrical that'd be required.
I can't remember the connectors, but I'd guess the large one goes to the pump and the blue one to the valve. If they're there and you have a main dashboard harness with the relevant plugs on, then you should be ok.
The mounting position for the vac pump doesn't look too difficult to get to from the following picture, but in reality I can see why it would be:

Also from examining my car, and pictures of the V6, it looks like there's a lot more room to work on the 2.1TD. The V6 looks to be extremely packed in around the throttle area, whereas the 2.1 seems to have a fair amount of room.
It shouldn't be too different once the air filter box, pipework and throttle pot have been shifted.
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
jonsowman
3.0 24v

Post by jonsowman »

midsmike wrote:right well ive been lookin how much they go for plus u will need the plastics that goes around the rack for the stalk so hows 55 sound delivered
Cheers mate, are you going to have the car around for a while? I'd like to investigate my car a bit further before I buy the cruise kit.

It's going to be a couple of weeks before I can get under the car and examine the loom. mjb: In that picture, the large one being the rubber round one? The blue thing on the left doesn't look like a connector, is it on the end of a wire but attached somewhere when not in use? I can't find either on any of the wiring diagrams on ServiceBox, but I might not be looking in the right place.

With regards to a different throttle pot and mounting for the cruise enabled cars, SB only has this one image. Interesting, it is the same image for the 2.1TD and the 3.0 V6, which doesn't seem to make much sense.

I'm still trying to locate a 2.1TD with cruise with a kind owner who is willing to take some photographs for me!
midsmike
3.0 24v

Post by midsmike »

well cars goin on saturday but im stripping it so ill have the parts but let me no because they will be on ebay if u dont want them
jonsowman
3.0 24v

Post by jonsowman »

OK thanks, I will examine the car as soon as I have time. If it gets to it, let me know before you put them on eBay :)

I'm at university at the moment so I could do with waiting until I'm back home, as I have more space and tools etc.
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

I'm watching this one with interest, (honestly thought you couldn't get cruise on an XUD).

My bro will be looking for a replacement for his 1.9 in 6 months or so. It would be good to know if it can be done on any XUD, (eg a 1.9 so it'll run on veg), or whether it's only 2.1's, (in which case a bisch-bosch pump swap may be in order).

Keep up the good work. 8)
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)