Low level air intake and shallow water

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

V6Exec
3.0 24v

Low level air intake and shallow water

Post by V6Exec »

Just killed my car - went through some water that was a bit too deep, and the engine now makes an awful noise, is down on power and emits a petrol smell from the exhaust.

Not much I can do now, save remind others of the perils of hydraulicing an engine :(
Remember - it only takes a few inches of water to drown a 406 don't make the same mistake I made! The V6 Exec is no more.

406 Coupe S HDi

PP2000 clone interface
Ares
3.0 24v

Re: Low level air intake and shallow water

Post by Ares »

wait,what happened,did turbo pull water in?
can you fix it?
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

V6Exec wrote:Just killed my car - went through some water that was a bit too deep, and the engine now makes an awful noise, is down on power and emits a petrol smell from the exhaust.

Not much I can do now, save remind others of the perils of hydraulicing an engine :(

Hydrolocked?
no it carnt be if it still runs, :?

Take the spark plugs out, Disconect the coil packs and Turn the engine over,see if it spits any water out of any of the pots.

You might be lucky and have escaped a bent valve or 2. (good luck)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrolock
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Sorry to hear that dude :( People do get away with it sometimes with minimal damage, so fingers crossed for you.

It's just occured to me we need a general warning for this one. If I can work out how... :oops:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

That'll do for a start, tomorrow I'll flesh it out once I've done some searching because we've talked about this problem before...

drjonts
1.8 8v

Post by drjonts »

Sorry to hear that :(

Hmmm...it might be ok but as has been said it's a case of getting all that water out and seeing how it is afterwards. My neighbour did the same to his X-plate diesel 406 and after disconnecting all the pipes to intercooler and intakes etc. and hairdrying it out, it seemed to be OK.

There's likely to be water somewhere in the pipes I reckon (not sure of the routing of pipes on a V6 though).

Agree that this is an issue on the 406 and people should be aware

Good luck.

Jonty
V6Exec
3.0 24v

Post by V6Exec »

This is the ford - http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/622538 (water level was around 6 inches higher, so I did not expect there to be a problem)

Just checked the oil - no sign of water. Functional test - starts fine and runs on front bank (rear disconnected), but did not start on just the rear (front bank disconnected).

Sadly I do not have the space or facilities to invesitigate this fully and the engine may well be repairable.

If anyone wants an early D9 V6 estate with full leather interior and all the toys, complete with 12 months MOT (but a water damaged engine) drop me a PM.

(12 months & 3 days MOT :cry: )
Remember - it only takes a few inches of water to drown a 406 don't make the same mistake I made! The V6 Exec is no more.

406 Coupe S HDi

PP2000 clone interface
Busman
3.0 24v

Post by Busman »

The only thing to add to this is that this is a problem with lots of modern vehicles. A quick, very unscientific look at the cars at work reveiled most air intakes to be in the same or similar positions as the 406.
I would say that the only safe thing with modern vehicles is not to go through standing water at all. And if you must, slowly at tick over is the only safe way. I tend to think that a long detour is better than a damaged engine.
1999 HDI 110 GLX Estate Sold On at 230,000 miles to the lucky John
2003 HDI 110 Rapier Estate
1998 D8 1.9XUD Estate LX 7 seater Estate sold, with regret
1999 306 1.8 petrol.
plod
3.0 24v

Post by plod »

That's a real bummer

The coupe club lot seem lot more clued up on this with their Z ducts and the like
I would of done my car, but there was no evidence a front mounted scoop improved performance on the tractor engine
However, compared to the chance of hydrolocking then it's a good mod regardless escecially since the design of the air intake is set up for LHD cars i.e in the middle of the road, whereas RHD cars it's in the gutter.
Guess I was kinda hoping for a plug and play solution rather than making something myself through trial and error, but looks like I need to put this on my "to do" list
1999 D8.5 HDi GLX - Sold :(

2007 Mondingo Zetec - I seek forgiveness :( Bring back my 406
teamster1975
Site Admin & Mad Biker!

Post by teamster1975 »

I'm gutted for you, my first 406 suffered the same fate :(
I took the plugs out and turned it over, a jet of water shot from each cylinder, put the plugs back in and the once smoothly running petrol engine sounded like an old tractor, totally fubar :cry:
1996 406 1.8LX Got a bad case of hydro lock!
1996 406 Executive 2.0 Turbo XU10J2TE No longer hangin' on in there :(
1997 Honda CB500V
2003 Volvo V40 1.8 GDi SE killed by a nutter in a beemer 5 series
2008 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Titanium X

"Always look on the bright side of life, dedo, dedo dedodedo"
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

I guess it's up to you but I suppose if it's still misfiring after you've dried everything out and changed the air filter then it will be something more serious. My next step would be a compression test but I gather getting to the plugs is quite a job to start off with on a V6 :(
steve_earwig wrote:That'll do for a start, tomorrow I'll flesh it out once I've done some searching because we've talked about this problem before...
Now updated with a few links and also how to remove the link pipe below the air filter. I'd be interested to know if they're all more-or-less the same as they all seem to have different part numbers :roll:

Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Thought about making an Insurance claim for this?

It'll get written off but you might get a hire car for a bit and some folding for the old motor?
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
scotty73
3.0 24v

Post by scotty73 »

Welly wrote:Thought about making an Insurance claim for this?

It'll get written off but you might get a hire car for a bit and some folding for the old motor?
Sneaky feckers will probably blame the water being there as an act of god. :roll:
2000 W 2.0hdi 110 7 seat estate Blue.

And this glue is for my submarine not for putting up you're f*c*ing noses, and dont think i dont notice cos i do... Buy your own f*c*ing glue!!! Fatty Lewis Twin town 1997.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

....or the wrong 'type' of water :lol: :roll:
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

steve_earwig wrote:I guess it's up to you but I suppose if it's still misfiring after you've dried everything out and changed the air filter then it will be something more serious. My next step would be a compression test but I gather getting to the plugs is quite a job to start off with on a V6 :(
It's a pain on the Coupé due to the strut brace, but it's not too bad (albeit a bit long-winded) on the other bodies.
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang