A rare beauty

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

TooT
3.0 24v

A rare beauty

Post by TooT »

Look at this lovely car i saw today. Looks rusty must be on a something like a H plate :lol:

*Zoom*
V plate :shock: Thats got to be one of the last ones they made. Good to see the owner has kept it looking good :lol:

Lets have a look at the side
*Overtakes*

You guys seen any cars that are pretty rare nowadays? Any Montegos kicking about still?
2006 207 GT THP 150
procta

Re: A rare beauty

Post by procta »

i think anything to do with the name austin is rare. the last of them i sure were made on a J plate so that car must have been reregistered must have came from ireland.
another car that is rare now are the ford sierras and the vaux hall nova saloon and rover metros.
Tiny Tim
2.0 16v

Post by Tiny Tim »

Pfft ten a dozen here in retirementville (bournemouth). Try finding a maestro turbo 8)

lots of rare cars down here, suprising how well they cope with the salt sea air, too. Scimitars, mk1 golfs, VW campers glaore, couple of zondas and of course my collection of renault turbos :lol:
Tiny Tim
2.0 16v

Post by Tiny Tim »

Not sure if you guys can view this, but try it...

http://www.westover.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16152
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Needs a log in I'm afraid.

I thought, what with all the emissions and stringent (read: vandalistic) MOTs, mobile garbage was a thing of the past.

All sorts floating about here 'cos they don't salt the roads. I've not seen an Austin for a while but that's not much of a tragedy.

In the Plavi Oglasnik (that's Blue Advertiser to you sonny) just now there's a 1968 Hillman Hunter 1725 in wonderful condition, with spares for £300, loads of Frod Crappys (shame there's no price on this one), assorted old Jags, stacks of old Mercs, minis, Kadetts, beetles, etc. etc. etc.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

The Maestro plant and tooling was sold to India (or somewhere like that) at the end of production here in about 1992. They continued making it and selling it to the yocals over there and it was a little known fact in around 2000 that you could buy a brand new Maestro from their new factory for £2,000.00 + import etc. It still made a huge saving for a brand new car (if you didn't mind driving an ageing rusting piece of 80's shyte around). I even seem to recall that the Indian plant put there 'own' engine in it :shock: :shock:

I love the way this one's all rusted to f*ck after 7 years, in the same way the 1985 ones were rusted to f*ck after 7 years....progress eh? :roll:
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
bloodredwarlock
1.8 8v

Post by bloodredwarlock »

i'll try a grab a pic of this guy running around where i live with a black montego turbo. its got a bodykit (if u can call it that), one thing that is strange i never seem to see if their's any rust on it cause i know the 3 M's back then had a serious problem wi the stuff.
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

Not too long ago I saw a *mint* maestro up in Manchester. Not seen a montego for about 10 years though!
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

*remembers the sound of a 'Countryman D' of a winters morn* :shock: :shock: :shock:
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
TooT
3.0 24v

Post by TooT »

I like the way this example has been complimented by the bent roof rack. Very nice :)
2006 207 GT THP 150
STALLED
The moderator down under

Post by STALLED »

So can someone explain why the car is on a V reg plate - Thats definately not a 1999 model? :lol:

Never got the Montego/Maestro here - Did get a handfull of 800 series rovers which I still reckon are a tad cool :)
1997 406 D8 ST Manual 2.0L!

Blue406
406 Gimp

Post by Blue406 »

I almost bought me a Montego in 1998. But it was crashed into and written off while the guy selling me it was moving it from storage to his place for a service and valet!
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Crap, I'll bet he hadn't bothered to insure it either.
STALLED wrote:So can someone explain why the car is on a V reg plate - Thats definately not a 1999 model? :lol:
procta wrote:the last of them i sure were made on a J plate so that car must have been reregistered must have came from ireland.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
puggy
Resident Pervert

Post by puggy »

Am pretty sure you could get them on a L plate .. i owned 2 maestro's the second

one a 1.6 cost £250 and a month after i bought it i toured france and germany in

it ... up to 100deg heat and it never missed a beat and returned up to 40mpg

some of the cheapest motoring i have experienced :P :P
.. ooh are those drugs for me Matron
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

They had instrument clusters made from graph paper didn't they? :)
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang